Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The connection between power bar and the display is lost on Robo-Tank v.2.
Hi Rob

The connection between power bar and the display is red. In the beginning is green, after a few seconds is red. Blinking green, red, green ,red...
I did restore the controller to defaults as per instruction but still is red.
I replaced with a new cable but the problem is the same.

Thanks in advance
Reply to top
Hi Vilich, I assume it was working ok before the update? Try reprogramming the arduinos again, maybe one didn't program. Be careful handling the boards as one of the IC's is static sensitive.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,
The previous version worked well.
I programmed Arduinos again, but the problem remains the same. I tried synchronization between the power bar and the display which passed successfully. I can send you video.

Thanks in advance
Reply to top
Hello vilich,

I had a similar issue with the Mega when I first received it and performed my initial upload of R-T. Did you remove the Mega from the power board to update the program or did you leave it plugged into the board while performing the update?

The reason I ask is that I had an issue with the Mega's communication ports (Rx, Tx) making contact with the power board. The headers for the ports 14 through 21 contain the communication between the Mega and the Power PCB. This header, I had found during my trouble shooting, was ever so slightly loose on the Mega. I received the same initially green icon which after a few seconds would turn red. I'm not sure if you are indicating alternating between red and green. Mine did not alternate.  

Rob caught the issue in a photo I sent him and suggested that I run a soldering iron along the header on the Mega to reattach it. Fearing I would cause more damaged to the Mega, I simply removed and re-seated the Mega while carefully observing that all the pins went into their respective places in the header.
Make sure that all the pins from the power board go securely into the header on the Mega. Even take a flashlight and look under the mounted controller to make sure no pins have misaligned.

I had been hesitant to update my software as my PCB does not allow a software reset and requires the removal of the Mega to reprogram it. I have an early production PCB that requires the cutting of a trace to allow a software reset of the Mega while mounted on the board during a software upgrade. Without the cutting of that trace coupled with earlier versions of the code (prior 1.6), a software reset of the Mega cannot occur, so upgrades require the removal of the Mega. Rob has now addressed resetting through software and cutting the trace is not necessary.  The Mega can now be upgraded while attached to PCB and the trace does not have to be cut. (Have I got that correct, Rob??) 

I waited until ver 2.0 to remove, upgrade, and remount. All went well, whew!

I don't think there would be any issue with your display or connecting cord. I believe the icon on the Home screen was designed to show that communication connections between the Mega and power board are working.

Else, I'm stumped. Your thoughts, Rob??
Reply to top
Hi Vilich, sorry I'm a little confused. If there's no communications the synchronizing shouldn't have worked. Could you send me a video so I can see what's going on.

Your correct Steve, the mega can now stay on the board and be updated without removing it. You shouldn't have to do that again.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

I reloaded all the sketches...even ran the EEPROM_clear sketch on the Mega and DUE.

I downloaded the test sketches and ran them.

Power bar test

Estimated pre-scale:3.24
Final pre-scale: 3
ph: 0.00
orp: 0.00
do: 0.00
sat: 0.00
sensor_data:
ec: 0
tds: 0
sal: 0.00
sg: 0.000
sensor_data:
ec: 0
tds: 0
sal: 0.00
sg: 0.000

Display test:

Initalizing sd card...
SUCCESS - sd card initialized.

I checked the voltages on IC2 on the Power Bar board under power. Results below:

pin 21 (RX2 Due) - 0.35 v
pin 22 (TX1 Due) - 5.14 v
pin 50 (TX2 Due) - 5.14 v
pin 56 (RX1 Due) - 5.00 v

Voltages at the end of the cable from controller

pin 8 - 11.87 v
pin 7 - 0.00 v
pin 6 - 0.00 v
pin 5 - 0.40 v
pin 4 - 0.00 v
pin 3 - 0.42 v
pin 2 - 5.01 v
pin 1 - 0.00 v

Voltages from Mega Board (the controller connected to display board):

TX3 - 5.00 v
RX3 - 0.48 v
TX2 - 5.00 v
RX2 - 5.00 v
TX1 - 5.00 v
RX1 - 5.00 v

So I connected just the display board and DUE and checked voltages at the end of the cable.

pin 8 - 12.17 v
pin 7 - 0.00 v
pin 6 - 0.00 v
pin 5 - 4.99 v
pin 4 - 0.30 v
pin 3 - 4.99 v
pin 2 - 0.34 v
pin 1 - 0.00 v

I checked both TX1 & TX2 on the DUE.

TX1 - 3.25 v
TX2 - 3.28 v

I thinking that the problem is in IC2.
Please any solution.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to top
Hi Vilich, I went over your voltages and think I see the problem. Here's an images showing some jumpers, add these and it should work. Try and work on the boards in an area with no carpet, these are static sensitive and its possible that's what hurt it.

[Image: IC_Patch2.jpg]
Reply to top
Hi Rob,
The problem is solved according to your instructions.
Soon I will upload pictures of Robo-Tank controller.
Thanks so much for your help.
All the best.
Reply to top
Great, glad to hear its working again, I'll send you a new IC so you can replace it or put it in the drawer.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Display Cable Right one Gordon Lehmann 2 4,463 03-02-2019, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Gordon Lehmann
  Troubleshoot display board Skwerl77 7 7,171 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Display question jmcadsl 29 25,795 08-20-2018, 10:12 PM
Question Connection between display and power bar board lost ChrisC 41 38,581 05-09-2016, 11:02 PM