Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display question
Hi!!
I need to know whats its the small icons on the top.
The first on rigth (like a plug) sometimes (4 / 5 times every week ) goes to red, and the display doesnt show the correct information.
I reset the controller and runs fine again.....but im afraid because i dont know if the rest of the controller its running , only a display issue ??
What can i check?
Thanks!
Reply to top
Hi jmcadsl, the green plug indicates if the controller and display are communicating, if it turns red they are not. When this happens does the display still respond and can you still navigate? It could be related to the ethernet patch cable you're using to connect it, do you have another to try?

Also because you only got the boards I'm not sure if I told you about the resistor that should be added to the Arduino Due. This usually only effects startup but should still be done, here's a link showing where it goes.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Pr...is-stopped

When this happens again unplug the ethernet cable from the display and plug back in, if the red dots on start up screen start moving immediately that means the controller is running ok, if it hangs then the controller is locked up.
Reply to top
Thanks!
I will try with a new cable.
If not...i will solder the resistances.
Thanks!
Reply to top
You shouldn't have to solder any wires, a good ethernet cable should work, maybe some resistance is building in the cable. I use a cat5e with pure copper wire.
Reply to top
Hi!
The resistances its for Arduino not for cable.
First i will try with a new ethernet cable
Reply to top
Ah yes sorry it's getting late. :)
Reply to top
Hello!
More info....i try with 2 new ethernet cables and the same problem. Aleatory the display icon goes to red.
Display its in black with only the hour (but the clock its stopped).
If i press the display then comes to the maun screen and icon goes to green and all its running ok.
But the clock continues frozen.
I must restart controller to running the clock again.
Also.when.icon in red i can go.online (webpage its running) also running ATO.
I will order some smd.resistances for Arduino but i think its not.the problem
What can i check?
Thanks
Reply to top
Hi jmcadsl, what do you mean by "display its in black with only the hour", is that because you have "Fade to Off" setting turned on the "Customize display" screen?

If so turn that option off and see if you still experience this. I just remembered something I added a while ago that's probably causing the problem. If the display is unplugged from controller and 60 seconds or so passes the controller stops sending data to the display, this is probably happening when the display "Fades to Off" and when you wake up the display by touching it the connection isn't made again so you'll never get proper data until after a reset.

So yeah turn off that feature on screensaver and see what happens.
Reply to top
Hi!!
Oh!! Yes a have running the screensaver.
This weekend i will check it deactivating all options.
Thsbks you !
Reply to top
I think that will be the problem.
Reply to top
Hello.....i did it....now display never goes to black but icon show in red after some hours.
Attached a link for a video.
You can see..really its 19.30h ...but clock stop at 10.20h
When i press the display the icon change nmediatly to green.
And runs ok....but clock its frozen...also the graphs are not drawings.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_EvX5ak...p=drivesdk

Thanks
Reply to top
Hi jmcadsl, I don't really know what to think, haven't really seen anything like this, thanks for the video that helps a lot. Are the temperatures also frozen in time? If you touch one of them does it change on the display and/or webpage?

Even though the communication icon turns red it is still communicating, I think I hear the relay clicking when you manually change the outlet status and that couldn't happen if they weren't communicating. Do you have anything connected to the Atlas port? For the RTC to freeze it could be the I2C bus locking up or maybe its a bad RTC, answers to the above questions will help determine that. Once I know the above I can add some checks to the code so we can figure out what it is.

One thing you can do right now, in the controller sketch find line 2609 and you'll see

// i2cEmail();

remove the // at the beginning and upload to controller. Every 3 seconds before data is sent to the display it checks to see if the eeprom can be found which uses I2C bus same as RTC. If the I2C is going down causing the RTC to stop the eeprom will also stop working and an email will be sent to you. If you haven't already you'll have to setup the emails for them to work, there's a document in the download package explaining how to do that.
Reply to top
Hi Rob!
The temperature never stop...if i connect online i see the values change every few seconds.
Also if i touch the screen i can use the relays and works fine.
I see only the clock Frozen.
I havent atlas circuit so...i.will.modify the code.and try.
Thanks!
Reply to top
Does the temperature still change on the display? Another thing to try is swapping the Arduinos on display and controller to see if the problem moves with it.
Reply to top
Yes, temperature still change on display
OK....i will try.
For the moment i reload the sketch with update , yesterday i change...we will see.
If not i will change arduinos
Thanks
Reply to top
Wow that's a surprise and kinda confuses me, now I'm thinking it must be a locked up RTC and not the Arduino, still worth swapping if you can though.

I noticed in your video you've made some translations, anything else you change in the code. :)

This is how it works and why I'm confused.

Every 3 seconds all the sensors are read, if the controller thinks the display is running it will then send the data to the display. Because you still get temp updates on display the controller is aware the display is turned on otherwise you would get no data, this is what I was thinking at first but it passes. The strange thing is if the temperatures are sent to display the current time has to go as well as it's all part of the that code. Right after it sends the time it sends a code if the controller is connected to the web to turn the globe icon green under the time which you get. So that means when it sends the time with temperatures it's always sending the same time over and over as that's what the controller is reading from the RTC. I think its still finds the RTC, if it didn't you should get year 2038 or 2000.

I can't understand how the communication plug turns red under time though as a code goes with the internet check.

If you can do the following we can see what's going on.

In the display sketch find line 1810 and add a blank line, here add the following.

Serial.print("Serial: ");
Serial.println(var);

then upload to display. After uploading open the serial monitor in Arduino IDE and in bottom right corner change the baud rate to 115200. After doing that should start seeing data appear in the serial monitor. Every 3 seconds you'll see the temperatures coming in from the controller along with some codes for the icons. Send me what you get when everything is working good and then leave the serial monitor open until the time freezes again and send me the data you get at that point.
Reply to top
Hi!!
The change in the sketch // i2cEmail(); didnt work.
Tomorrow i will try to put.a.laptop near the controller update the sketch and monitor the serial port , no.problem.
I only translate the months and days.
I insert some code lines for RF powerplugs buy its running perfectly..
Thank you for support!!
Reply to top
When you say the i2cEmail didn't work do you mean no email came? If so that's good, that means the I2C bus isn't locking up and Arduino is probably ok. Any chance you can upload the original sketches just to verify the problem still exists? It doesn't sound like hardware now unless the RTC is acting up.

EDIT:

How do you have the RF modules connected? Which pins do they use?
Reply to top
Hi! i didnt recieve any email from i2c.
I will upload the original sketch and test it.
The RF its on port A11....you can see more info in the post:
https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-He...er-plug-RF

Thanks!
Reply to top
Sounds good, I was just wondering if those RF modules used I2C.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Display Cable Right one Gordon Lehmann 2 4,269 03-02-2019, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Gordon Lehmann
  Troubleshoot display board Skwerl77 7 6,840 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  pH Probe Question aquaalgae 1 3,430 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Question Question before ordering philips 11 12,074 01-13-2018, 01:06 AM