Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Whitebox T1 MkII to connect Robo-Tank with Atlas Scientific Stamps
Hello!

Was hoping to have a little bit more done on my build before posting, but whatever here goes!

First off, massive thanks to Rob for being so supportive, wouldn't have gotten this far had it not been for your help. 

I've been working on a design using Robo-Tank RevF and reef-pi for growing seagrass, with desired functionality supporting Atlas Scientific pH, Dissolved Oxygen, Oxygen Reduction Potential, and Conductivity Stamps. Since the embedded circuits are sensitive, I decided to use a Whitebox T1 MkII Shield for easy "plug-and-play" setup. 

After getting the stamps out of their default UART configuration into I2C and running 'sudo i2cdetect -y 1', it became apparent that the Atlas pH stamp and the built-in pH circuit were fighting over having the same address. However, running the sample i2c.py script provided by Whitebox (to change the address of the pH stamp) resulted in an IOError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error (which to my understanding is just the Pi being like 'what do you mean things are connected to the I2C pins I don't see anything connected there'), which I thought was reasonable enough given the fact two things wanted the same address. So I hooked up the shield up to another Pi (no Robo-Tank) and was able to change the address without issue.

The real issue starts now: after plugging the shield back into the Robo-Tank, the same error still occurs. My thoughts are that the i2c.py script is finding other I2C connections besides the Atlas stamps, doesn't know what to do with them, then returns the error code. My Python skills are not up to the task (yet....!) to be able to modify the script so that it only looks for the Atlas circuits (maybe that's not even the right thought process, idk), so I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom on how to proceed from here. If not, no worries, will post when I figure it out.

Best,

AJ
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
Using Whitebox T1 MkII to connect Robo-Tank with Atlas Scientific Stamps - by seagrassman - 05-06-2022, 05:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using powerbar with 3rd party hardware dcartier 1 2,130 01-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Rob F