Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing for unit and screen.
Does the screen come with a frame (((can't tell from the pictures)),,, also what project box are you using, I assume it does not come with the kit. Thanks
Reply to top
Hi cjbriere, no the kits don't come with any cases. For the power bar seen on the home page I'm using the following project box from digi-key, mouse also sells them.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en...-ND/705663

For the display I have the following but still need to cut it and mount the display.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en...ND/2357882
Reply to top
(03-01-2016, 11:10 AM)robsworld78 Wrote: Hi cjbriere, no the kits don't come with any cases. For the power bar seen on the home page I'm using the following project box from digi-key, mouse also sells them.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en...-ND/705663

For the display I have the following but still need to cut it and mount the display.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en...ND/2357882

Thanks,,, one last thing, is there a frame that comes with the screen? Just curious if you will see the rough cuts from the cuts on the box. Thanks.
Reply to top
Hi, no there is no frame, that's something I haven't been able to find. I'm surprised no one seems to have anything, one day I'm hoping to get a bezel made to wrap around it.
Reply to top
Here's some pics of what I am using for a working housing for the 7 inch Electfreaks TFT screen, controller PCB, and Due. I figured this is a good solution during construction for protection of the somewhat delicate components while I continue to search for one of those cool acrylic/Plexi cases that you can find for, say a Razzzzberry! Just not seen any made for the TFT screens yet.
I bought this (pencil) case during Back-to-School week at Walmart for 96 cents! Made by Sterlite and the product number should show in the pic.

We all need to BUY more of Rob's Robo-Tank, so he can make enough money to go out and buy a computer controlled milling machine and produced slick looking R-T cases! (wink-wink!) 

That's MY two cents worth... Build On!
Reply to top
Wow Steve that looks great, the cleanest build I've seen. Amazing little box you have for the display, I'm going to see if I can find some of them. I would love to make cases, hopefully one day it happens.
Reply to top
I just realized that by the time I shrunk the pic, the info for the box doesn't show....  Soooo, let's try it again!

That should show a little better.
Reply to top
Thanks, much better but it could still be read in the other picture.
Reply to top
I was looking at some on ebay for the full kit as low as 500$ US but there small working are 250mm W by 350-400MM L with a slow cutting speed would take probably and hour to cut out and expansion board

Steve S
What is the box/case you are using for the main boards it looks like a computer case?
Reply to top
(03-03-2016, 10:08 AM)rott Wrote: I was looking at some on ebay for the full kit as low as 500$ US but there small working are 250mm W by 350-400MM L with a slow cutting speed would take probably and hour to cut out and expansion board

Steve S
What is the box/case you are using for the main boards it looks like a computer case?

Yes, It's an ITX case made by Raidmax and I HIGHLY recommend it. My original design started  pre R-T and I wanted to mount a 5 or 7 inch touch display to the front. That's why it's slightly oversize. But if Rob keeps adding boards and controllers... My first arduino aquarium project is in a plastic shoe box with a mess of wires inside. I wanted a cleaner all-in-one case solution for my lighting (LED) power supply and drivers. All my original LDDs are hand wired! What a mess!! I wanted to take advantage of shelves, cooling fans, and mounts already in place in the ITX case.  Turns out, I gutted it. The case is a dream to work in, as everything mounts to the base and I can strip it down by removing just a side, front, back, OR the whole case cabinet while not disturbing the mounted components. I think I got it from Newegg with a rebate that made it's cost around $20-25 US. Although I haven't started my cuts (lots of planning and moving the PCBs) the sides are an acrylic (dark tinted) for easy cutting. I am replacing the original metal back plane with poly carbonate (simply because I couldn't find acrylic). I was just working on the template for the cutout for the AC outlets and my slave power control and lighting connector. I'll let you know how that progresses. I'll see if I have any post worthy pics of the case.  I plan on using a Dremel with a side cutting Roto-Zip bit. Haven't been able to get real clean cuts it the past by hand. Any suggestions... Anyone??

Just found this pic early in the design stage.
Still lots of room inside and I haven't ruled out mounting a screen to the front of the case.
Reply to top
you got a lot of room left.. I do know what you mean about cutting the spots out for the usb.. luckily for us Rob picked probably the easiest one to cut. Then come back and clean up with a file to smooth the edges. still doesn't make it any easier.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7" screen not working ChrisC 8 10,645 02-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Rob F