Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooling fan/s ON/OFF depending on light temperature
Hey rob

is there a way ( dont know if it's implemented or not) to set Cooling fan/s ON/OFF depending on light temperature or even better to pwm/analog set the speed of the fans?

Maybe to use the spare pins on the mega to do output to some fans so that they are not constantly ON/OFF but to have some ideal temperatures on the heatsinks.
Reply to top
Hi sassod, no not yet but 100% I'm adding that. I'm doing a similar approach as the heaters, you'll be able to control 2 fans via temps. People will have to decide if they want to use them for LED's or cooling the tank or one and one.

I'm also adding PWM control for fans and power heads, the hardest part is figuring what works best. I have to give it some thought on how it will work in the GUI etc... If anyone has any suggests let me know.
Reply to top
maybe you can add a check box on the temperature settings if it exceeds a certain threshold that the cooling/heating will be activated in order to drive the temperature away from the threshold within a certain limit
Reply to top
got to some thing that is a big deal for DIY LED guys my fixture has built in fans but before I had sensors on all 4 heat sinks
Reply to top
This is what I had planned for the the cooling/heating, not sure if its what you mean fietsenrex?

Because all the relay outlet icons can be switched around in the GUI the controller now knows what equipment is being used. Currently your allowed to set 2 of outlets as heaters, if you set one as a heater and go to the heater settings one will be active and the other disabled. At this point the heater is primarily controlled via temperatures, then schedule. You can set the thresholds for each of the 2 heaters.

The cooling fans will work the same way. If you tell the controller one or more of the outlets are cooling fans it will activate temperature control on those outlets as well. If you have no cooling fans as an outlet none of that code will work. My final goal will be something like have up to 6 outlets being either a heater or cooling fan, the same settings could control either depending on what you have selected.

I am adding the ability to read another 4 DS18B20 temperature sensors, those could be used for the cooling fans like rott use to do. Someone else has 4 heats sinks and wants to the same thing.
Reply to top
I had my fans daisy chain then plugged in to a 12v power supply kind of like what is in the controller now the only thing needed from the arduino was 1 pin to control the PWM on a 3 pin fan +v and G go to PSU G from fan MUST go to arduino board ground also to work and mostly the code is not to hard to write for it high is on low is off or any step of 255 what you have to watch is a lot of the time you will have to set the fans to some thing like 25K MHz or you will get that mosquito buzzing sound
Reply to top
I read about having to change the frequency once, I'll have to look into that soon enough.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Heaters did not shut off after maintenance midwestE 6 5,729 03-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Last Post: midwestE
  lights goes off almost always when they are at high sun johnrc 7 7,560 07-20-2017, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Light after restart Arne 9 9,075 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Displayed Light Temperature Arne 27 22,881 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Arne