Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got v1.6 Robo-Tank Close to Working
I am new to the Arduino line and code knowledge, but I have gotten my system mostly running on my bench.  

I too experienced the issue with the Libraries being not included in the Arduino project automatically.  I had to add each library manually.

Secondly the DISPLAY sketch only compiled/flashed for me in Arduino 1.6.0.  Using 1.6.7 (the latest) gave me compile errors with missing .h files for the DISPLAY sketch, while I was able to compile and flash the Mega with the POWERBAR sketch.

My current status is the Mega works and the relays click and power up.  The Due was flashed, but the display is still blank.  More debugging tomorrow.

Thanks.

--
Brian
Reply to top
Hi Brian, glad to hear you're almost there, I just sent you an email but probably to late.

In the DISPLAY_RoboTank_V1_6 sketch under line 47 you'll see different displays, you need to remove the "//" from the beginning of line 50 and add "//" to the beginning of line 48. You have the CPLD display. Also after you power it up, unplug the power and immediately power up again.
Reply to top
This is exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm about to try the libraries you sent Rob for sainsmart screens. But adding the libraries manually fixed the missing .h file issues for me and I can flash both boards with IDE 1.6.0.
Be interested to see if you beat me to a fix.
Reply to top
(02-15-2016, 03:24 AM)Benny314 Wrote: This is exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm about to try the libraries you sent Rob for sainsmart screens. But adding the libraries manually fixed the missing .h file issues for me and I can flash both boards with IDE 1.6.0.

Not sure if I beat you there but I did get it working last night I had to use the version 1.6.0 and setting the display type to cdpl for my display and it worked now.  I'm going through figuring out the calibration procedure today.  I tried to read through the attached information but can never get the screen to work with pressure touch.
Reply to top
This is sounding more and more like a pin assignment issue. But I'm not sure.
Do you know who made your screen? I know mine are sainsmart screens.
I ran the UTFT demo using the mega and a spare display shield I have. The 7 inch screen started running it once, but everything was inverted (text backwards etc, had this issue when intially setting up my current controller and I cant remember what the fix was) then it went blank. Ever since that the if I reinstall the demo the screen starts to load it then goes grey and does nothing. I have this spare 3.2 inch screen (also sainsmart) which runs the demo fine, I copied the screen details and added them into the display sketch swapping out the pin numbers for the ones in the display sketch.
But still no joy, just static.
After messing with the libraries Rob sent over before I ran the demo sketch, I was getting static still, but I had to go do something while the board was still flashing and when I came back 15 minutes later I had a black screen with graph lines marking out the areas, coloured lines (I'm assuming the bottom of sliders) and the time and date. I haven't had this happen again and I don't know what caused it to apear.
Reply to top
I have the MD070SD.  I had to use the CPLD settings in my DISPLAY sketch for it to work.

1.    UTFT myGLCD (CPLD, 25, 26, 27, 28); //For 5" and 7“ CPLD Displays

2.    UTouch myTouch(7, 6, 5, 3, 2);   // Pins for touch screen using custom PCB

(***//UTouch myTouch (6, 5, 4, 3, 2); // Pins for 5“ and 7“ Touch from forums 2-15-16  <-- THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MY TOUCH DISPLAY - i.e. nothing touch works)

and then I used this calibration file UTouchCD.h located in the robo-tank zip here:

3.      C:\Robo-Tank_v1_6_Software\Robo-Tank_v1_6\Jan 21, 2016\Calibration Files\CPLD 7 inch

by copying that file UTouchCD.h and pasting it in the Libraries folder under Utouch

C:\Robo-Tank_v1_6\Jan 21, 2016\Libraries\UTouch

It is not correct yet, but it does display and the touch screen does work - the buttons-to-press calibration is way off.

That is as far as I got.  Perhaps someone else has a solution written out like this...

[Image: Robo1.jpg]
Reply to top
(02-15-2016, 09:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 03:24 AM)Benny314 Wrote: This is exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm about to try the libraries you sent Rob for sainsmart screens. But adding the libraries manually fixed the missing .h file issues for me and I can flash both boards with IDE 1.6.0.

Not sure if I beat you there but I did get it working last night I had to use the version 1.6.0 and setting the display type to cdpl for my display and it worked now.  I'm going through figuring out the calibration procedure today.  I tried to read through the attached information but can never get the screen to work with pressure touch.

In the download there's a folder for calibration files, copy the CPLD 7" file to the UTouch library folder "documents/arduino/libraries/utouch" and overwrite the existing file, then restart the IDE and upload the sketch to the Due again and it should work.
Reply to top
(02-15-2016, 10:43 AM)Benny314 Wrote: This is sounding more and more like a pin assignment issue. But I'm not sure.
Do you know who made your screen? I know mine are sainsmart screens.
I ran the UTFT demo using the mega and a spare display shield I have. The 7 inch screen started running it once, but everything was inverted (text backwards etc, had this issue when intially setting up my current controller and I cant remember what the fix was) then it went blank. Ever since that the if I reinstall the demo the screen starts to load it then goes grey and does nothing. I have this spare 3.2 inch screen (also sainsmart) which runs the demo fine, I copied the screen details and added them into the display sketch swapping out the pin numbers for the ones in the display sketch.
But still no joy, just static.
After messing with the libraries Rob sent over before I ran the demo sketch, I was getting static still, but I had to go do something while the board was still flashing and when I came back 15 minutes later I had a black screen with graph lines marking out the areas, coloured lines (I'm assuming the bottom of sliders) and the time and date. I haven't had this happen again and I don't know what caused it to apear.

The pin outs for all the 5" and 7" displays is the same only different calibration files and display types in the sketch.

The text is backwards because the library is still wrong, I hate to admit it but those sainsmarts drive me crazy, every time I go to test mine I'm chasing my tail trying to get it to work. Later tonight I'll hook mine up again which I was sure last time worked with the same library as the elecfreaks and CPLD use. I'll send the files that get mine working and hopefully they work on yours.
Reply to top
(02-15-2016, 10:56 AM)sonicmach1 Wrote: I have the MD070SD.  I had to use the CPLD settings in my DISPLAY sketch for it to work.

1.    UTFT myGLCD (CPLD, 25, 26, 27, 28); //For 5" and 7“ CPLD Displays

2.    UTouch myTouch(7, 6, 5, 3, 2);   // Pins for touch screen using custom PCB

(***//UTouch myTouch (6, 5, 4, 3, 2); // Pins for 5“ and 7“ Touch from forums 2-15-16  <-- THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR MY TOUCH DISPLAY - i.e. nothing touch works)

and then I used this calibration file UTouchCD.h located in the robo-tank zip here:

3.      C:\Robo-Tank_v1_6_Software\Robo-Tank_v1_6\Jan 21, 2016\Calibration Files\CPLD 7 inch

by copying that file UTouchCD.h and pasting it in the Libraries folder under Utouch

C:\Robo-Tank_v1_6\Jan 21, 2016\Libraries\UTouch

It is not correct yet, but it does display and the touch screen does work - the buttons-to-press calibration is way off.

That is as far as I got.  Perhaps someone else has a solution written out like this...

Who makes that display, odd the touch pins are different but hey if it works that's great. Maybe try uploading the uTouch calibration sketch and change the numbers from it in the UTouchCD.h file, all the displays seem to be different that way.

I see in your picture the plug is red under the time, is it always like that? It should be green.
Reply to top
[/quote]
The pin outs for all the 5" and 7" displays is the same only different calibration files and display types in the sketch.

The text is backwards because the library is still wrong, I hate to admit it but those sainsmarts drive me crazy, every time I go to test mine I'm chasing my tail trying to get it to work. Later tonight I'll hook mine up again which I was sure last time worked with the same library as the elecfreaks and CPLD use. I'll send the files that get mine working and hopefully they work on yours.
[/quote]

Yeah it's only because I have a sainsmart lying around, I suspect it's the route of the problem. It was a pain to set up on my current controller.

One thing of note though. My version of 1.6 has different pin outs for the 5 and 7 inch screens?

// Uncomment the display you have, be sure the others are commented out using // at the beginning
UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S, 25, 26, 27, 28);
//UTFT myGLCD(CTE70, 25, 26, 27, 28); // used for ElecFreaks and Sainsmart 7" Display
//UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_50, 25, 26, 27, 28); // used for ElecFreaks and Sainsmart 5" Display
//UTFT myGLCD (CPLD, 25, 26, 27, 28); //For 5" and 7“ CPLD Displays

The uncommented one is the 3.2 I'd been playing with, not sure if I've set up the 3.2 pined right, I just copied what was there for the 7.
Reply to top
If you have the same libraries you used on your other controller they should work.

Not sure what you mean by different pin outs? They are all the same. The 3.2" screen should work as they also work on the same TFT shield as the 5" and 7".
Reply to top
I did a lookup on Google for MD070SD looked at the first YouTube video almost everyone responded with backlight problem can not get it to work and the author of the channel was no help. but a the end of the video it looked like there was some wire jumped on the TFT board to like where pin 58 or some thing is so it seems a lot of people having problem with the back light on board MD070SD
Reply to top
My bad, I was reading down and thinking the 50 was a pin assignment not part of the name.
Reply to top
Right I've tried droping the libraries from the other project into the Robo-Tank libraries and I still haven't got any joy.

Hold on........... I have a hardware issue.

I got life on the screen (no touch) but between 1 to 30 seconds the screen gets bars or squares of static come up on it and eventually I loose all display. Also some of the functions seem to be showing odd things. Like the date is reading like the RCT isn't connected when it's pluged in and last feed was 255. One point the dosing level vials didn't fully load, I only had the left 2 and coloured bars indicating level was all that loaded for the 2 on the right.

To get to this I'd checked a few solder points to the headers on the display board. Some didn't look like I'd fully soldered the pin to the board. After doing this as a well we'll see what happens experiment I was amazed when I got the Robo-Tank splash screen and the home screen loaded.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Have I cooked or miss soldered a capasitor or resistor somewhere causing these issues? Granted the touch issue is probably still a library needs changing. But the screen going to static is looking more and more like a hardware problem but I'm out of ideas as to where to look as I have checked and double checked all the headers now.
Reply to top
What happens when you plug 12v directly in to the display board so it bypasses the ethernet patch cable? Maybe its not getting enough power.

EDIT: Does it still do this when you try the screen on the TFT shield?
Reply to top
I get nothing from the 7 inch on the mega with a shield.
I had been testing it powered from the display board without having the power bar and connector board hooked up. The last test I did was with the 12v going into the connector bar, I got a good 30 seconds from the screen. Not sure if it's as I handle the display board somethings loose and causes the issue. I don't know if the fault is in the screen or the board at the minute.
Reply to top
I'm about to start a new thread, I feel bad about hi jacking this one sorry sonicmach1.
Reply to top
I had a problem with Touch not working, i fixed it by editing the following file
Libraries/UTFT/Hardware/Arm/ HW_ARM_defines.h

make sure the 4th line down does not have "//" infront (and the 12th line does!)
I.E.
#define CTE_DUE_SHIELD 1
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ato not working lumpylipton 27 25,800 08-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Rob F
Tongue TFT01-7.0 calibration not working fred73 3 5,848 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Rob F