Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ato not working
Hi,
After hooking up my ATO (using float switches for both sensors), I can see the sensors working (the ATO icon turns green on the display), but I never get 12v on Port 17 for the motor.  I get 0v on all pins, they never change.
I verified there is 12V on the board (checking the spare 12v pins).

What did I miss?

Thanks
Warren
Reply to top
Hi Warren, since you have the green icon the ATO is active so the main float switch is good, the backup float should be wired the same. When the icon is green try flipping the backup float switch and the 12v should be active. When the backup float isn't in the correct position the ATO icon will still be green but no power will go to the pump.

Also there's an issue with the ATO, it has to be in "test mode (0)" on the service page which it sounds like you have it that way. I think I just fixed that so if you want to download v4.10 from your account on the store side of the website and upload to the controller it should work in all modes. With that said this has nothing to do with what your currently experiencing unless you aren't in "test mode (0)".
Reply to top
(01-20-2018, 01:07 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Warren, since you have the green icon the ATO is active so the main float switch is good, the backup float should be wired the same. When the icon is green try flipping the backup float switch and the 12v should be active. When the backup float isn't in the correct position the ATO icon will still be green but no power will go to the pump.

Also there's an issue with the ATO, it has to be in "test mode (0)" on the service page which it sounds like you have it that way. I think I just fixed that so if you want to download v4.10 from your account on the store side of the website and upload to the controller it should work in all modes. With that said this has nothing to do with what your currently experiencing unless you aren't in "test mode (0)".

Got it Rob.  I didn't actually have the backup float connected while I was testing.  Added it and it all works now.
Thanks again!
Warren
Reply to top
Great, glad to hear you got it working.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,
Since your last update my ATO ran perfectly. BUt few days ago, I saw it worked only with float switch, so I changed optical sensor without success. Today without any change from me, the ato pump run continually. Same result after plug off the sensors and complet reset of controller. I do not know what I can do...
Dom.
Reply to top
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as Dom59, I had to unplug the pump and do my manual osmosis water supplement !
Reply to top
Hi Dom and Seb, sorry I'm a little confused, are you saying it's ok with a float switch on main sensor port but not an analog sensor like the optical sensor? If you unplug the main and backup sensor the pump should stop as the transistors can't be switched on without them.
Reply to top
Hi rob, for my part, I don't have an optical sensor, I have 2 "classic" sensors. I will test tomorrow (it is late here in France lol) by disconnecting the 2 sensors and I will tell you if the problem persists.
Reply to top
Hi Seb, when you say classic is that those red boards or float switch? If you guys can give me a little more info that would be great.
Reply to top
Hi Rob, when I say classic sensor, I mean "float switch". I disconnected the 2 sensors, and indeed, the pump does not engage. But as soon as I reconnect the sensors, it activates and doesn't stop any more while the level is exceeding !
Reply to top
Hello,

From my controller :
-main switch : optical sensor
-second one : float switch

Beginning of issue : I see ato Pump working only with float switch. I though optical sensor is broken down so I put a new one. Same result, and what I see : pump is only directed by float switch. But "ato" changes green only when optical sensor is over water level, but pump doesn't run! This one runs only with float switch... I know I am not so clear...

After that, do not know why, pump is running continually. So I plug off this one.
When I see your answer this evening, I try to re- plug the pump and disconnect the 2 switches : pump continues to run, no change even if I reset the controller. Looks like a relay is "glued"... and i have no other choice than plug off the pump.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

I made you a little video to explain the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ON76gsa9k
Reply to top
Hi guys, hmm sounds like different issues. Thanks for the video Seb I assume the pump will only run if backup float is plugged in, if you have the main float plugged in and backup unplugged it shouldn't run. If that's the case I assume moving the backup float back and forth the pump doesn't stop? If so then check backup float with ohm meter to make sure when you change states it shows open and closed on the meter, maybe it's stuck closed. Did you remove those rings at the bottom of the floats and flip the float over? I think they should have been ok but one might be backwards.

I'm not sure how you set it up originally but ideally you don't want either float fully submersed, we hope the backup float (top) never touches water. For pump to be off the main float should be up and backup float should be down. I just made a diagram that I should have made long ago showing how the floats should be setup and how it all works. Try removing your floats from tank, hold them as they would normally be and setup like image below, if a float is opposite remove the ring at the bottom of float, reverse float and add that ring back. 

For Dom's issue I'm not sure, if pump runs when backup float is disconnected the transistor (same as relay) must be stuck on which is a little surprising. I'm using MOSFET's that can handle 3amps with no issues and haven't had a problem with them yet. With that said I did put out some boards that had a MOSFET that did cause issues and possibly that's the problem. How long did the ATO work with float switches, have you been using it long or just start? Can you see a Rev number on the controller board so I can try and verify? The ATO backup float sends 5v to a MOSFET turning it on/off, this is needed so current doesn't flow through the float switch. If that float isn't plugged in the MOSFET isn't getting +5v to turn on so the pump shouldn't run. Once I know the board you have I can give you points to check voltages so we can determine what it is.

[Image: ATO_Setup.jpg]
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

Indeed, when I disconnect the back float the pump does not work. But it works as soon as the float is reconnected. I tested it, it says 0 ohm when it's down, and 3.3 Kohm up. I flipped the float, but the problem remains the same.
Reply to top
(05-15-2018, 06:34 AM)seb540 Wrote: Hi Rob,

Indeed, when I disconnect the back float the pump does not work. But it works as soon as the float is reconnected. I tested it, it says 0 ohm when it's down, and 3.3 Kohm up. I flipped the float, but the problem remains the same.

Sounds like the problem is the float switch, when its in one direction you shouldn't get anything on your meter. It's the same as if you just used a wire for backup float. Are both floats doing the same? If you take the main float and plug into the backup can't you turn it on/off? What do you get on the main float with your ohm meter?
Reply to top
Sorry Rob for delay , I was out.
I use ato since your last software update, and it was running perfectly. I do not exactly when the issue has begun. My board is Rev D.

I tried one more time this morning. Pump turns continually without any sensor plugged.
Reply to top
Hi Dom, there must be something going on with one of MOSFET's, I'll send you a diagram to do a few voltage checks just to verify and we'll go from there. Do you see any markings on the small transistors behind the ATO ports? There's 2 of them, one behind pump port and one behind main sensor port.
Reply to top
(05-19-2018, 09:36 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Dom, there must be something going on with one of MOSFET's, I'll send you a diagram to do a few voltage checks just to verify and we'll go from there. Do you see any markings on the small transistors behind the ATO ports? There's 2 of them, one behind pump port and one behind main sensor port.

Hi Rob, the both seems marked "1s8".

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Thanks for the picture Dom, if I sent or ordered you some replacements would you be able to change them out? I don't use those anymore but I can get some that will fit.
Reply to top
(05-21-2018, 12:09 PM)Rob F Wrote: Thanks for the picture Dom, if I sent or ordered you some replacements would you be able to change them out? I don't use those anymore but I can get some that will fit.

I think I can manage that. I can also try to find them in France, but I need you for choosing the good ones.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controller locks up when using ATO lumpylipton 1 3,690 05-19-2018, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Pinout for ATO Cables koast 7 7,727 01-18-2017, 01:11 AM
  ATO circuit ChrisC 11 11,435 07-17-2016, 12:29 AM
Tongue TFT01-7.0 calibration not working fred73 3 5,817 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM