Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dimming Fluoroscent T5 Lamps
Hello K0507 , First of all I would like to congratulate Rob for his work!!!!!!!

I am running an 120 gallons tank Planted with Discus. I am trying to build an arduino based controller about 3 years now but the results weren't the expected, so while I was looking on the Internet I found out about Robo-Tank and I love it, so now I am waiting Rob to return from his vacations to order my Robo-Tank K05108 K05108 K05108 

Although I have many questions and ideas that I would like to ask here and share them with you...My first was if it were possible to connect a solenoid valve instead of the 12v pump... that was answered from Rott, by the way thanks.

My second question now is if it is possible to control a dimmable ballast 0-10v and dimming a set of T5 fluorescent lamps???
Reply to top
Aquadominus hello I also have a180 gal tank with Discus I think they are the best fish to keep. I have never tried to dim T5 bulbs rob has a very small board he sells that converts 5v to 10v digital and analog. Have you looked in to how to make your fixture dim? If not I would research in to it. IF you have then you need to make a shopping list for parts list them in a new build thread so we can keep all your stuff in one place and I am sure we can figure out some thing.

from the software alone I am sure there is a way to control pins that go out to power control but remember a full build of this has 2 DUE's and 1 mega plus rob has 3 custom mad boards all so. I will tell the custom boards make life so much easier every thing is plug and play
Reply to top
Photo 
I have found this circuit but I am not sure if it is working...

[Image: hfr_pwm_zpsmxkqraeb.gif]
Reply to top
I am not good with stuff like that I usually ask on one of the bigger forums or just buy a premade one I have a friend that is god at making stuff like that
Reply to top
(02-10-2016, 12:14 PM)rott Wrote: I am not good with stuff like that I usually ask on one of the bigger forums or just buy a premade one I have a friend that is god at making stuff like that

I Have build it my self but I haven't test it so I am not sure if it is working... Also I don't know if it is working with Robo-Tank or if there is another way to dim my Lamps.

In the end I am thinking to make a Led Custom and to adjust it to my aquarium cover...
Reply to top
I went all LED on mine the plants love it and the fish look great under the lights with using LED's you get that shimmer like MH or natural sun light gives
Reply to top
(02-10-2016, 12:34 PM)rott Wrote: I went all LED on mine the plants love it and the fish look great under the lights with using LED's you get that shimmer like MH or natural sun light gives

Which Led's do you use you have a custom???
Reply to top
I used the china black box 165w 2 channel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELLPAR-Dimmable...1686921507
Reply to top
(02-10-2016, 08:19 PM)rott Wrote: I used the china black box 165w 2 channel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELLPAR-Dimmable...1686921507

And what about algae??? I am fully Planted.... I was thinking about a custom made I am also searching...
Reply to top
I had algae in my tank before using the china black box lights after that it all went away
Reply to top
How Long is your aquarium mine is about 60'' one box would be enough or I need two?
Reply to top
72"x24"x24" 180 us Gallons or 681 liters
Reply to top
Hi Aquadominus, if you have a dimmable ballast for the T5's that uses a 10v analog signal then it should dim with the controller. I'm not great with circuits so I can't say if your circuit will work or not but I see the input is 0-5v PWM and it outputs 0-10 DC which is probably analog so it should work. As rott mentioned I do have a converter board which converts the LED's to any of the signal types like you need. I also have a new connector board which has the converter built in for 8 of the 16 channels but I don't have it listed in the store yet, the cost is about $15 more.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LED dimming Skwerl77 13 12,411 06-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Skwerl77