Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED dimming
Hello all,

I was messing around with my Chinese 165W LED lights last night, and the drivers use 3.3V through a pot to control the PWM dimming. The shutoff is about 0.3V, and 3.3V for 100%. I was able to control the PWM with an external variable power supply. Is there a way to use the controller to output 3.3 instead of 5 or 10v? Other options might be to shunt the excess through a zener, use a stamp or something to translate, or just use the 5v and hope nobody else in the house pushes it above 3.3v?

Thanks!
Reply to top
Hi Skwerl77, only 3.3v max is a surprise, seems like there's a lot of varieties of these lights out there. I would think you could also make a voltage divider using resistors to drop it down.
Reply to top
Oh yeah! Perfect, nice and easy, thanks!
Reply to top
Hi Rob, quick question. Are the LED outputs of the new board (ie ports 25, 26, etc.) a PWM output or a straight voltage?
Reply to top
Hi Skwerl77, the 16 LED outputs are still a 0-5v PWM signal.
Reply to top
I kinda figured on that right after I posted lol. I need an analog 0-3.3V to control my dimmers, so I'll have to come up with an RC filter.. Hey google....
Reply to top
Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if all drivers used the same voltage... I use the LM358D op amp to convert 5v pwm to 0-10v analog and it should be able to put out 3.3v as the datasheet says good down to 3v. Here's a page I found explaining how it works if you want to play around. The board I have would probably work with the correct resistor and voltage applied, I could do some testing however it would be 2 weeks before I could do it as I'm away right now.

http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-b...converter/
Reply to top
It sure would!
I decided to try a LTC2644 PWM to DAC chip.. Probably a little more expensive than the op amp and RC filter, but I can give it a 3.3V reference for the output and pretty much be done with it. It has 2 channels, one for my whites and one for blues which is all I need. I'll post something when it all gets here and I can breadboard it up. I doubt it really matters but it should have better ripple than a RC filter..
Reply to top
That looks like a nice find, one thing that stuck out to me is it's available in 8, 10 or 12 bit, hopefully you ordered the 12-bit as that's what the controller puts out, sorry I wasn't clear about that. I use the PCA9685 which puts out 12-bits ranging from 0-4096, the 8 bit is only 0-255. I looked at the datasheet and I think the IC references that, so if its only 8-bit IC when the PCA9685 is set to 255 the DAC would be putting out full power as it expects 255 to be max, I could be wrong though and it actually reads the voltage coming in and the bits is for the output which would make a little more sense. Hope it goes well for you.
Reply to top
From what I understand, the resolution of the PWM controller is the resolution of one duty cycle, or how precisely you can define the edges of one cycle. So a 12 bit PWM controller can have the ON portion of the cycle from 0-100% in 0.0244% steps, while an 8 bit controller is still 0-100%, but in 0.392% steps. So if the PCA9685 is set to 255, it will put out 5v for 6.23% of the frequency cycle. The DAC measures the frequency of the pulses (leading edges I think?) as well as the width (trailing edges?), so it will still measure the 5v as being on for 6.23% of the cycle, but if it's 8 bit it just won't measure it as precisely (somewhere around 6.27% if my math is right?). The PCA will be on for its counts 1-255 and off for 256-4096, and the DAC will read the input as on for its count 1-16 and off for counts 17-255, because the input from the PCA turns off somewhere between counts 15 and 16, or between 5.88 and 6.27%. The PCA count #4096 and the DAC count #255 still end up at the same time because the frequency is the same, it's just the spacing in between that's different.

The PCA9685 has a programmable PWM frequency of 24-1526Hz, and the LTC2644 accepts frequencies from 30Hz to 25kHz (for the 10bit version I got..). Assuming you didn't program the PCA to 24-29Hz, I think it will work?

Or there's always a good chance I'm completely full of crap. We'll find out in a week or so lol!
Reply to top
That all sounds like it could be right, looking forward to hearing how it goes, you can change the frequency of the PCA in the controller sketch if needed.
Reply to top
So far so good. On a breadboard, I can get an analog output voltage of 0 to 3.3 volts using the controller LED output on port 25. Now I just have to mount it all up a little more permanently (perf board for now).
Reply to top
Nice work, are you using the LTC2644 you pointed out?
Reply to top
Yup, and I pretty much just used the example in the datasheet, except that they added an opto-isolator. But I think it inverted the output so I got rid of the opto.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fluval Pro LED Lights - PWM Walkthrough jlysaght3 33 27,433 04-19-2022, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  LED DRIVER AND BOARD aron04 21 20,230 09-14-2017, 12:16 AM
  LED DRIVER 10PWM AND 10 ANALOG apanelmarcin 4 6,328 07-16-2017, 04:28 PM
  Recom's led drivers Dom59 6 8,228 07-06-2016, 11:45 AM