Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank 3rd Generation Hardware
Ah, no worries. If I can get these to work, no sense in sending anything else.
I think I can get the address sniffer to work, I'll try that tomorrow maybe.

In the meantime, I have another issue! So I was working on my wiring when I noticed that in the upper right corner of the display, the connection icon was red and looked disconnected. I rebooted the controller and display, and now the display doesn't load (only one red bar at the bottom, seems locked up).
Totally disconnected everything from the controller, thinking that maybe something I had connected was messing with it. No luck.
I figured I'd reload the software on the SD cards, that didn't change anything.
Looking through the instructions in the download folder, I thought I'd try to re-upload the sketch to the display Due. Everything tracks along perfectly with your instruction PDF, except when I try to upload the sketch to the display Due, I get an error message that " 'month' was not declared in this scope" and it highlights this line:
currentMonth = month(currentTimeStamp);

Any ideas? Software is definitely not my strong suit lol!
Reply to top
Sounds good on the address.

Do you have the Arduino IDE set to Arduino Due (Programming Port)? Also in that download package did you actually unzip it to another folder or just browse into it using Windows file manager? Windows lets you browse in but then the Arduino IDE doesn't see the other files and gives errors.

EDIT: As for the connection icon turning red that is a surprise, obviously it was working otherwise it would be locked on the one red dot like it is now, did you try removing the RJ45 patch cable from the display and do you have another you can try in place, some people have had issues with the cables that come with routers if that's what you're using.
Reply to top
Yup, it's set to "COM3 (Arduino DUE (Programming Port))", and the folder was unzipped into a new folder..
Reply to top
How about the board type? That's for the port, there's two settings.
Reply to top
It's set to "Arduino Due (Programming Port)"

Do the Arduino's need to be connected to the controller/display boards during uploading?

Tried the controller Due this morning; before attempting to upload the sketch to the controller Due, I tried to verify first, and it says " 'serialPrintIn' was not declared in this scope" and highlights the line " serialPrintIn(_emailAlert) ; "

I'll PM you the error messages.. Seems like something is messed up with my library or such? I have no clue when it comes to software! I copied the text files and libraries from the install folder like it said in the instruction pdf, all that seemed like it went okay?

Oops, hold on, I missed the part in the instruction on needing to install 1.6.5, I had 1.6.9. Let me try that..

Edit: Got the sketches to upload successfully to the display and controller Due's, reinstalled the data to the SD cards, but the issue still remains that the display is locked up at the one red bar. (I don't know if the controller is locked up as well, cuz the display doesn't work)
Reply to top
Glad to hear you solved the uploading, and I'm not sure what to think about the boards not communicating. A few months ago I changed the circuit and haven't had an issue and now the way it's setup is there are 3 communication lines between display and controller, when the controller turns on it checks each line and uses the first one that works. This means it's scanning all 3 lines and each are down which is a surprise because each line has independent components so if one goes down they all can't. That's why I'm think it's the cable but I'm guessing you tried a few types? Can you check the voltage on the Tx1/Rx1, Tx2/Rx2, and Tx3/Rx3 pins on the top of the controller board, they're all marked so you should see them.

Also I attached a couple sketches to load on display and controller which tests everything, press the "run test" on the display a few times to see what you get.

Attached Files
.zip   Robo-Tank Test Sketches.zip (Size: 18.14 KB / Downloads: 175)
Reply to top
I uploaded the test sketches, and everything passes except the controller eeprom?

I have a lan cable tester, it checks out fine by continuity.. It's the same cable when everything was working fine yesterday?

Oh, and the voltages were a little over 2v for the RX's and 2.5 for the TX's..
Reply to top
Ah that makes sense, the reason it appears locked on splash screen is because the eeprom is acting up, if this happens it rolls through the 3000+ settings and could take 10+ minutes before the display starts up. The communication between them is ok so cable is fine. This could be a couple things, the eeprom could be bad however that's been quite rare, whenever something happens with the eeprom it's usually related to the I2C bus as it uses this. Can you check the voltage on the SCL1/SDA1 pins on the controller board. There's a 2 header pins at the top of the board with spare pins, these should have 5v on each. Also if you check where the arduino plugs in, the pins are marked, it should be 3.3v on each pin.

I have a feeling the issue could be the I2C buffer, if you look on the controller board behind the two USB ports you'll see a 8pin IC, if you can remove this I think it'll get the rest working.
Reply to top
The SCL on the board is 4.96v while the SDA is 80mV, and the SCL on the arduino is 2.68V, and the SDA is also 80mV..
Reply to top
It sounds like it's that IC behind the USB ports. Did you use one of those ports for that module to do the power bar? Do you know if something was hooked up backwards as in SCL and SDA possible reversed? No big deal if it was just trying to figure out why it might have happened, don't worry I will get this solved for you. Is it possible to remove that IC, I'm sure once it's removed the controller will be ok and we can go from there.
Reply to top
Hmm, it's quite possible that I mixed up the SCL and SDA of the I2C breakout board I was using for the relay module.. I got confused looking at the pinout picture in the Connection instruction because the picture seems (to me) upside down compared to the orientation on the board, and the ground is red and the Vcc is black.. I even went so far as to measure the Vcc to ground to make sure I had the right pin! I'll double check it all again before I hook everything back up though if you think that had something to do with it?

I had the same struggle with the relay board not working; come to find out that the Common/NC/NO diagram they use looked odd to me and I wired it up wrong. I guess nobody uses ladder-logic much anymore, or at least they don't just assume everything like I do!

Thanks so much for all your help so far, your customer service is beyond amazing. I will remove the chip here in a few minutes. Do I need to short anything out in it's place?
Reply to top
After removing the chip, and looking around under magnification, I noticed a tiny sliver of metal across... you guessed it, the two middle pins on the backside of the USB connector. The SCL and SDA pins. Everything works now! Unfortunately, I don't know if it got there while I was desoldering, or before, so I have no way of confirming that it was or wasn't the chip, but either way it is back to normal!

But Westworld is coming on and I have to wait till tomorrow to keep wiring :-)
Reply to top
Great job, glad you got it working, I assume you'll need another IC to put on the board or did you use the same one?
Reply to top
Yeah I damaged the original getting it off, but I have a Digikey order in progress, I can add another one to it. PCA9507, right? Do you recall if it's 0.118 or 0.154" pitch?
Reply to top
The PCA9507 is correct, the package type is 8-SOIC, here's a link.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en...ND/2531212
Reply to top
Is the 3rd generation hardware what is currently being shipped if ordered now?
Reply to top
Hi Aquaalagae, yeah I'm now shipping the Gen3 hardware.
Reply to top
time for me to upgrade
Reply to top
Hey Rott, yup then you'll have 3 Robo-Tank's. :)
Reply to top
I got a question fer ya.. Is all the data stored as text on the SD card that the probes read? I am thinking of setting up a web page to read out all the data on to it wont have any control over the controller connected to the tank just show the out put if possable
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank Hardware Expansions Coming Soon Rob F 13 8,557 11-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Gen 2 Hardware Mod Required Rob F 1 4,740 12-19-2016, 04:10 AM
  2nd Generation Robo-Tank Rob F 25 28,271 11-24-2016, 07:43 PM
  Planning Final Hardware Phase Rob F 27 27,877 12-05-2015, 06:22 PM