Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controller Actions From Float Switches?
So what would some of the actions be that the controller should do based on float switches?

I know one in the reservoir for alerting when to refill.

What other purposes would they be used for?
Reply to top
Possibly one for the top of main tank, to detect if the tank is overfilling because the drain is blocked (Damn that snail!) and shut off the return pump/send alarm?
Reply to top
With 2 float switch you can build an automatic change of water:

Drain waters till switch one (minimum) gets on then fill water in the tank till switch 2 (maximum) is on
Reply to top
water change or automatic water top up
Reply to top
This is what I come up with so far.

The ATO system has 2 sensors, the optical sensor and backup float switch. Both of those switches need to be closed for the ATO pump to run, if one of them is open the pump won't work. The circuit uses transistors so no current is going through the float switches.

Then there are 5 ports that can be used for one of the following.
  • Single point water/moisture sensor
  • Water rope cable (I figured it out)
  • Float switch
  • Infrared flame detector
The idea is you can decide in GUI which each port does when an action occurs. For example if water touches the water rope or single point sensors you can tell the controller to turn off all relays, turn off the ATO pump and send an alert. Or if you are really paranoid about ATO's you can set up 5 float switches as backups.
Reply to top
Hi, Is it possible to top off the aquarium directly from the R.O. with a water solenoid valve instead of the 12v pump???
Reply to top
@Aquadominus having a solenoid directly from the ro line to your tank is just asking for a big flood that will happen solenoid valves are made to fail and most will fail in the open position and you will have over filled our tank and have water on the floor

it is a bad idea that is why we all use a top off container with double floats on top for a back up o catch those problems
Reply to top
(02-07-2016, 06:37 AM)Aquadominus Wrote: Hi, Is it possible to top off the aquarium directly from the R.O. with a water solenoid valve instead of the 12v pump???

Hi Aquadominus, I don't know anything about the water solenoids but if the open when 12v+ is applied and close when the 12v is removed then it should work. If it does work like that you should only need to connect the solenoid to the ATO water pump jack on the ethernet hub and it should work. If you can explain how it opens and closes I should be able to help better.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiring Eheim Feeder for Robo-Tank Gen3 Controller Rob F 7 7,003 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Rob F
Question Questions about purchasing a Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Kit jeremyh 43 44,711 02-26-2017, 09:37 PM
  No connection between display and Robo-Tank Controller dagsterbox 6 7,448 02-29-2016, 08:07 AM