Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controller disconnecting
My controller keeps disconnecting from the window.

i have to disconnect the power and let the controller reboot before the controller will show up in the log in page on a window.   it will work for hours sometime but then disconnect and I will have to pull the power to reboot.  I have tried leaving it open on a window to see if it would stay connected and leave it overnight but, in the morning, its disconnected.  The controller is still working because it keeps recording data.
Reply to top
Hello, sorry for the long delay, unfortunately I didn't get an email telling me you posted.

This almost sounds like a network issue, it's possible the Pi is disconnecting from your network so you lose access. That would explain why the controller still does its thing.

I think you have a Pi 3, maybe try plugging the Pi into your router with a Ethernet patch cable if possible to see if it's a wifi issue, I've seen others experience similar issue, some routers don't play nice with the Pi but usually that's on the Pi Zero's.
Reply to top
(07-20-2023, 10:51 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hello, sorry for the long delay, unfortunately I didn't get an email telling me you posted.

This almost sounds like a network issue, it's possible the Pi is disconnecting from your network so you lose access. That would explain why the controller still does its thing.

I think you have a Pi 3, maybe try plugging the Pi into your router with a Ethernet patch cable if possible to see if it's a wifi issue, I've seen others experience similar issue, some routers don't play nice with the Pi but usually that's on the Pi Zero's.

I have a Pi 2 model B.  it is connected hard wired; I don't think it has wifi.  Sometimes it will stay connected for hours other times 20 min.  When it's down it won't show up on the list of devices on the router and it won't connect to putty. i have tried a different cable as well.
Reply to top
Unfortunately it sounds like a problem with the Pi, as you can't see it on the router it's dropping the connection which a reboot would fix. It could be just a case of the Pi doesn't like the router, I've read this is sometimes a problem. A while ago I sent someone a controller with a Pi Zero 2 W and he wasn't able to connect it to the router, when he sent it back to me it connected to my router with no issues.
Reply to top
(07-23-2023, 05:10 PM)Rob F Wrote: Unfortunately it sounds like a problem with the Pi, as you can't see it on the router it's dropping the connection which a reboot would fix. It could be just a case of the Pi doesn't like the router, I've read this is sometimes a problem. A while ago I sent someone a controller with a Pi Zero 2 W and he wasn't able to connect it to the router, when he sent it back to me it connected to my router with no issues.
Ok thanks Rob.  I have a Pi zero WH, do you know if it will work.
Reply to top
Yeah that Pi is compatible but you might have to reinstall everything on the SD card but maybe you plug in SD card and it fires up.
Reply to top
Ok thanks for the help
Reply to top
No problem, let me know how it goes.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controller Fan plecosam 3 1,661 04-08-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Sensors keep disconnecting iancarp 12 6,343 05-10-2022, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Rob F