Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan based on humidity
Hi,

Lots of people use one or two fans to get rid of the moisture (humidity) inside the kabinet where the sump is located.
I know Robo-Tank displays the humidity but after a thorough search it looks like it's nothing more than a display...

A controller controlls... ;-)
I expected the humidity sensor could be used to controll my kabinet fans.

What good is a humidity value when you cannot do anything with it?

Something for the future also?

Kind regards,

Arne.
Reply to top
Hi Arne, never thought of doing that, it's hasn't been brought up. Didn't think anyone would care about humidity. The sensor was added for monitoring the room. I will add it to the list. For what's its worth that the only data you can't do anything with.
Reply to top
Thanks Rob.

It's not always that easy to come up with all the needs people might have... ;-)

I think the temp/humidity sensor for monitoring the room is a great feature though so I would keep that.

In case of a reefer/saltwater aquarium, the sump located inside a kabinet (26 deg) produces a lot of humidity.
So an extra humidity sensor with controls and (PWM) output would be a great idea to add.

This brings me to this question, and someone else also came up with this: might 2 different software versions be an idea?
I mean, there are quite some differences between a frehwater tank and a reefer/salt water tank...
I.e. amount of dosing pumps, water values (sensors)...

I think Robo-Tank was developped from the fresh water point of view, wasn't it?

Kind regards,

Arne.

Reply to top
Yeah to much to think of. One day I might have two versions of the software but its hard enough updating one version. Yeah the controller was for freshwater as that's what I have, lately I've been trying to swing it to saltwater tanks as well. Soon it will get there.
Reply to top
well not to bring you down, but the sensor used by robo-tank is not accurate enough to be used for humidity control.
I'll have to dig into instuctables but there are better ones around that do the job more accurately.
Reply to top
Hi Fietsenrex,

Well, thanks for cheering me up... ;-)
Just kidding!

I will have a look at the sensor Rob used.
I'll have to make a temporary(?) solution anyway.

Checked it but the accuracy of the DHT22/AM2302 is more than enough.
Reply to top
(09-05-2016, 03:17 AM)fietsenrex Wrote: well not to bring you down, but the sensor used by robo-tank is not accurate enough to be used for humidity control.
I'll have to dig into instuctables but there are better ones around that do the job more accurately.

Hi Fietsenrex, yeah these are +-2% typically but can be as much as +-5%. If you find something more accurate post a link.
Reply to top
I can live with +- 2%... ;-)
In this case the repeatability is more important to me.
Reply to top
Repeatability is +-1% but I've never seen it jump around.
Reply to top
Yeah, I saw it on the datasheet.
That's good enough for me Rob !
Reply to top
If there is one better I might add it so people have can choose. One day I want to add a better temperature sensor as an option as well.
Reply to top
cannot find it anymore...
there was a guy on instructables who had build a humidity control system for his attic (or some place) and he claimed that the DHT22 was not accurate enough to do the job properly
since there was a need for 2 accurate sensors to do the job the 5% was to much on each sensor.
but if you only use one sensor to just start a fan when the humidity gets above a set value you could get away with it, just get the hysteresis to overlap the accuracy and you're set, otherwise there is a possibility it switches on and off the whole time
Reply to top
Humidity must have been important to him, the sensor seems pretty stable to me. I don't have another style humidity sensor to see the difference but I've yet to see two that match. :) That's why they don't power them up at stores, they would all be different haha...
Reply to top
Rob,

This sensor would be good enough to use it for a fan control to ged rid of humidity in the sump cabinet.
Reply to top
That's good, for the time being you can setup an outlet to turn on/off 4 times during the day to get rid of the build up.
Reply to top
Yeah, I can do that Rob.
Good to hear you say "for the time being..." ... ;-))
Reply to top
I now understand why you need humidity control when running a sump...
Mold everywhere....
Going to set up some fans on a schedule to control it more or less..
Reply to top
I told you... ;-)
Just kidding !

I think a humidity sensor to mount inside the sump cabinet would be a great feature...

Reply to top
That is the exact location where mine is.
But an additional one for the canopy or some place else would be nice
Reply to top
I totally agree... ;-)

Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temp and humidity sensors Arne 6 7,730 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Arne
  Fan: pwm based on temp Arne 10 12,295 08-13-2016, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Arne