Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temp and humidity sensors
Hi,

Rob already did a wonderful job but just to make his head a little more spinning how about this:
On the home screen, the left shows us "Water temp", "Room temp/hum" and "Light temp".

Unfortunately we cannot do anything with the latter two:

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Fa...ed-on-temp
https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Fa...n-humidity

Why not "forget" about the term "heater" and only concentrate on water temperature.
Monitor the water sensor, too cold: start a heater, too hot: start a chiller.
Don't call it Heater Settings but simply "Water Temp Settings"... ;-)

Humidity too high: start a fan (pwm?)

Light temp too high: start a fan (pwm?)

Like I said, it's already great but there are some things I cannot understand the logic behind it... ;-)

Hope this makes sence.

Kind regards,

Arne.

Reply to top
Hi Arne, you can control fans based on temperature just can't change the speed of it but yeah nothing can be done with humidity.

I added the heater page because a lot of people worry about there heaters not turning off and frying the tank, this makes it easy to setup the control for them.

In the "sensor actions" page, referred to as rules, title will be changing on the page and page will be made better, but this is where you can concentrate on the water temperature. With this you can set up extra actions without using them up on heaters. Here you can tell it to start a chiller if temp goes to low or start a heater when temp goes to high, or turn on/off anything else based on water temperature. Here you can use any of the parameters, except humidity, to control most of the equipment.
Reply to top
Great, thanks Rob.

I have been playing around with the "Sensor Actions" page/settings but have a question though.

Normally when you assign the "Heater" to an Outlet you can set the parameters (temp) in Hardware/Heaters Settings, this works.
Assigning another "Heater" Icon to an Outlet activates the "Secondary Heater" Settings.
How do the "Primary Heater" and "Secondary Heater" settings work/interact with the "Sensor Actions" settings??

At this moment to me it looks like assigning the Water Temp Sensor to the Outlet with Heater Icon in "Sensor Actions" doesn't work as I expected...
Do the "Hardware/Heaters" settings and "Sensor Actions" settings live next to eachother? I'm afraid this could cause a conflict.
Or are the "Hardware/Heaters" settings overruled by the "Sensor Actions" settings?

I already tried to set the "ON" and "OFF" temps the same in "Hardware/Heaters" settings hoping the Heater Outlet would then follow the "Sensor Actions" settings...
Can you assign the Heater Outlet to the Water Temp Sensor in "Sensor Actions" anyway Rob?
When I assign the Water Temp Sensor to i.e. an Aux Outlet, it works great !
I haven't figured out how this works yet... ;-)

Kind regards,

Arne.

Reply to top
Yeah the settings for the heaters override the "Sensor Actions" page, controlling the two heaters from the sensor page won't work if you use the heater settings. You could use the sensor page to control a 3rd heater but the outlet wouldn't be labelled as a heater, it would be an AUX or something else.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

Okay, I already suspected that...
Is there a way to assign the Heater icon to an outlet and disabling the "Heater settings"?

Rob, would it be a good idea to block the action of assigning the water temp sensor to the heater outlet, in "Sensor Actions", as soon as the heater is assigned to an outlet allready?
This way an unsuspected behaviour of the Heater Outlet can be prevented.

Reply to top
No, you can't turn off the settings for the heaters but I can see how that can get confusing in the sensor action page. They will fight each other and the heater always wins. :) I plan to re-do the sensor action page, as you know once you set a rule its hard to remember all the rules that might have been setup without going through every sensor, this will be improved and hopefully I can figure out something with the heaters. In the end if you don't want to use the heater settings you can't set the outlet as a heater.
Reply to top
The default "Heater Settings" are just fine Rob, I'll use them for the heater then.
I was just trying to figure out how things work... ;-)

Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan based on humidity Arne 19 16,159 09-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Arne
  Fan: pwm based on temp Arne 10 11,883 08-13-2016, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Arne