Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATO Sensor Controls
Rob,

Looking to use an aqualifter pump vice a DC style pump as my ATO pump. I see in the sensor actions section that I can use the optical sensor and float switch to control AC circuits, but I can't seem to understand how to set the Low/High levels on the optical sensor to make it work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Matt
Reply to top
one of the videos he just did shows how to do it.
Reply to top
I saw that video. It explains how the ATO system works if you are using a DC pump that is plugged into Port 5 on the expansion hub. What I want to do is control an AC aqualifter pump plugged into one of the outlets. What I can't figure out is how to configure the sensor Low/High settings on the optical sensor to actuate the pump.
Reply to top
Hi Matt, try using port 10-14 for your sensors. The other day I was playing and I think the ATO optic sensor wasn't controlling the AC outlets. I'll look into it in a couple days. If your optical sensor uses 4 wires set the jumper on the PCB to "optical". Then set the high/low level to any value for testing it. I believe when the optic sensor is out of water you get a value of 0, when its in water 1023. Either way it should switch the outlet when its in or out of water using port 10-14.
Reply to top
Thanks Rob. I just decided to buy a DC pump and hooked that up...actually like it better than the aqualifter so I'm just gonna go with that instead.

On the same topic, I wired up two float switches and plugged into ports 13 & 14 to control a 12V DC solenoid valve (in port 8). I mounted one low and the other high in a tub for my RO water. I set the low level on port 13 to closed and had it turn on port 8 to energize the solenoid and I set the high level on port 14 to open to turn off port 8 and de-energize the solenoid. The basic idea is to use the solenoid to start/stop the flow of RO water into the tub using the float switch plugged into port 13 as the cut-in level and the float switch in port 14 as the cut-out level so that the RO unit isn't going on and off rapidly.

Turning on at low level works great, but when I move the upper float switch and hold it open port 8 doesn't de-energize. I checked to connections in the USB plug to make sure they were correct and put the meter on the float to verify operation...all works and is correct. I moved the upper float to port 12 and got the same results. I tried setting the high limit on port 13 to open and to de-energize port 8 and that worked as expected and shut the solenoid in a few seconds.

Is it possible to use two different float switches and on use the low level on one and the high level on the other to control the DC accessory in port 8?

Thanks again for the help.
Reply to top
Hi Matt, sorry for taking so long to get back, my internet has been down most of the weekend. I just did some tests, it seems to work the way you want but I did have to play to get it just right.

When you set port 13 to turn the pump on make sure the low level is set to open circuit and set it to turn on the pump. On the same port make sure the high level is set to closed circuit and does nothing.

Then on port 12 set the low level to open circuit and tell it to turn off the pump. On the same port set the high level to closed circuit and set it to do nothing.

It should work like that. After you make the changes you have to leave the "sensor parameter" page so the settings update otherwise the changes you made won't take affect until you do. I have a feeling that was messing you up trying different settings. Basically one of the levels for a port has to be an open and closed circuit, if they are both open it won't work as expected. It seems the controller sometimes takes a few seconds to see the change on the float switch, it was all instant so I'll have to see what's slowing it down. I also want to make it easier to use at some point.
Reply to top
Got it working with that info. Thanks.

I had set the low level as closed and the high level as open on port 13, with the low actuating the solenoid, and set the low level as closed and the high level as open on port 12, with the high switching off the solenoid. This would turn it on but not off.

I switched the low level to open and the high level to closed on port 12 and had the low level switch the solenoid off and it works great...for some reason using the high level as the trigger wasnt working. Thanks again for the help
Reply to top
Great, one day I'll get it working so it makes a little more sense.
Reply to top
Rob,

How are the optical sensor settings on the Sensor Actions page supposed to be configured (low/high settings and pump actions)?

ATO settings got screwed up and now I can't seem to figure out how to reset them.

Thanks,
Matt
Reply to top
Hi Matt, the settings on the Sensor Actions page isn't for the ATO system, that page is for the extra float switches you added. The settings for the ATO are on the Service page. Is you're ATO status icon under the date/time red? If so press the icon and you will be prompted to reset the ATO. After you reset it you have to put the ATO optical sensor back in water and remove it and the ATO should start working again.
Reply to top
So in the sensor actions page, nothing should be set on the optical port 6 or the float on port 7?

ATO wasn't coming on so I adjusted those setting to try to get it working. I'll clear those changes I made and try it again.
Reply to top
That's right, I added that so they could be used for something else. Sound work when those are cleared.
Reply to top
Ok thanks...I'll let you know if that works.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ATO Not Working As Expected aquaalgae 28 21,431 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Video - ATO system (automatic top off) Rob F 0 3,603 06-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Rob F