Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATO Not Working As Expected
I'm guessing I just don't have it set up correctly, but I'm having issues with my ATO.  I am using a single float switch as the sensor and a 120v pump plugged into relay 6.  I couldn't get it set up with the ATO section of the software - it seems this is for a 12v DC pump.  Instead I did a custom rule that turns relay 6 on if the main float is closed and a seperate rule to turn relay 6 off if the main float is open.  When I put these two rules in last night it seemed to work correctly - I could turn the pump on and off with the float switch.  This morning the pump was on when I came downstairs and after a few minutes I noticed it wasn't turning off so I moved the float up and down but it didn't stop the pump.  I then looked at the custom rules and it was the same as I put in yesterday.  I removed the rule to turn on the pump and the pump stopped.  I then added it back and when I raised the float the pump came on correctly, but again didn't shut off.  I then unplugged the controller power and plugged it back in.  When it rebooted the pump was off, I lowered the float and it turned on, but again wouldn't turn off.  I removed the rule so I could go to work without it overflowing the tank.  Did I not set this up correctly?  How should I set it up to have a 120v pump turn on/off at the control of a float switch?
Reply to top
Hi Aquaalgae, yeah unfortunately I didn't think of an AC pump when setting up the ATO, I'll be adding that later. I also think currently the ATO port will only work in the rules if the ATO is setup using both float switches. The better option for now would be using 1 of the 5 sensor ports for the float and then setup the custom rules using it. Before setting up the custom rule go to the "port assignment" page and set the sensor port you use to "Sensor (digital)" then proceed to setup the rule.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the ATO sensor port is acting funny because the ATO sensor only checks water level every 1-24 hrs, when ATO is turned on it's checked continually until it turns off. If you reversed the 2 rules or set the ATO to "test mode" it would likely work better without changing sensor ports but probably still better using a different sensor port for now.
Reply to top
Are the other sensor ports checked more frequently?
Reply to top
Yeah the other 5 sensor ports are checked every loop, about 35ms, so it should be basically instant when you switch the float. Didn't do that for the ATO because waves and arms going in tank etc...
Reply to top
That seems to have fixed it. Thank you!
BTW, It looks like it's labeled as port 18 in the software though. It's port 1 in the user manual.
Reply to top
Great, you can add extra floats to the same port as a backup or even use another port and setup rules for it as well.

Sorry about the labeling, you'll have to ignore port numbers for now, the diagram you have for Gen3 is the proper names and next software update will sort that out.
Reply to top
Awesome! Thanks again!
Reply to top
So I manually checked the float valve this morning and it turned on like normal but again wouldn't shut off. I was able to get it to stop by removing the custom rule that turns it off. I added the rule back and tested it and it turned on and off correctly. Any idea why it was stuck on again? It was like it was ignoring the second rule that turns it off...
Reply to top
Oh wow, that's interesting. On display and controller SD card can you delete the folder "rules" and then add that folder back from the download package and try it again.
Reply to top
Ok, just did that. When I unplugged the controller before taking the SD cards out, the outlets that were on before unplugging stayed on. I thought they would all turn off...
After putting the SD cards back in, I noticed the custom rules were gone that I set up for the ATO so I added them back. However, this time pump relay won't switch on with the float switch at all. I synced with the controller and tried the float switch again, but it still won't turn on the relay. I've attached the custom rules, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Ok, so I unplugged it again and it still wasn't working so I removed both rules and added them again and now it's working properly. I'm not sure what that was about...

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
In a lot of instances the outlets stay in the mode they were in but I'm glad you posted that picture, I see the issue. Both rules are if sensor 1 is "closed" so they are fighting each other, one rule needs to be "opened". Closed means power is flowing through the float switch (on), open means no power is flowing (off).

EDIT: If you have suggestion to clear that up I'm open to them.
Reply to top
Ah didn't notice that before. I guess that's why it was fixed when I removed and redid the rules.

I just had a big issue though. I just happened to be by the aquarium or I wouldn't have noticed. All of a sudden all outlets turned on. I pressed the resume button and it went back to normal but that is crazy scary to have happen!
Reply to top
It should be ok now. One other thing to verify, go to settings and feed settings, make sure all outlets are grey so no action taken if/when feed schedule runs.
Reply to top
That's what it was. All of the relays were set to come on at feeding time.
Reply to top
Great, glad you got it working.
Reply to top
(07-25-2018, 04:58 PM)Rob F Wrote: Great, glad you got it working.

So I checked on it again this morning and it wasn't working again.  Although this time I don't think it is ATO specific.  I cannot get any of the relays to turn on or off manually, not even with a custom rule like I was using for the ATO or by using the feeding mode.  I tried unplugging the controller a few times and removing and re-adding the custom rules for the ATO.  Any ideas?
Reply to top
Nevermind, the USB cable for the relay box looked fine but was actually loose.
Reply to top
Glad to hear you figured it out, I think my heart skipped a beat reading the first message haha...
Reply to top
I'm having issues with the ATO again. It is not following the rules I have set.
I just deleted them and added them back then restarted the controller and again it wouldn't work again. I just duplicated the rules and it's going now but I don't understand why this is happening.
Reply to top
That's no good, can you get it to do that every time, as in after restart they don't work? I'm wondering if it's SD card related, I have seen where the card will be seen at startup but then doesn't work, can you try swapping cards between display and it? Or if you have another microSD card to try. The rules are stored on the card like the user/password for web so this could be the issue.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  v5.02 Automatic Outlets Not Working jlysaght3 3 3,718 03-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Temp Sensor Not Working aquaalgae 10 9,207 09-18-2018, 05:43 PM
  Flowmeter not working Arne 13 12,783 01-16-2018, 02:08 AM
  ATO Sensor Controls zfreak_1125 12 12,870 12-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Last Post: zfreak_1125