Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical sensor port 4 & 5
Yeah if no sensor is plugged in it will always be on or off as it's always responding to whatever mode the sensor is in.

In the SSH type in.

sudo raspi-config

That will give you a menu, go to interface options and you'll see SPI. The only ones you want enabled is 1-wire and I2C.
Reply to top
(02-11-2021, 01:35 AM)hemiroyd Wrote: Vyskúšali sme 1-sekundovú kontrolu frekvencie. Žiadne kocky.

Tiež som sa predtým snažil pri testovaní rôznych portov vybavenia zistiť, že to malo niečo spoločné s portom, ako ste spomenuli. Smola. Dokonca som vyskúšal aj AC port. Pripojený tester obvodov striedavého prúdu, ktorý má vizuálny indikátor. Rovnaký výsledok. S obráteným portom konektora vždy udržuje zariadenie v činnosti. Pri „obrátenom“ nekontrolovanom zariadení sa nikdy nezapne, keď snímač prechádza z vody von.
Zajtra sa v práci pokúsim nájsť ďalšie USB A na A. Odrezám tiež konektor od kábla snímača a pripojím priamo k portu snímača na doske. To pomôže vylúčiť optickú dosku a kábel USB ako možných vinníkov.

..... nemôže to byť problém s vodičom alebo s čímkoľvek poškodeným v reefpi? Som na 4.1, ale začal som na 3.5 a senzory nikdy nefungovali. Všetko ostatné funguje dobre, snímač teploty, ovládanie analógového svetla. Dc port na zapnutie môjho 12V ventilátora.

Ďakujeme za vašu nepretržitú pomoc a podporu, keď ste sa
neskoro pokúsili pomôcť mi to vyriešiť.
Reply to top
(02-11-2021, 02:05 AM)Rob F Wrote: Yeah if no sensor is plugged in it will always be on or off as it's always responding to whatever mode the sensor is in.

In the SSH type in.

sudo raspi-config

That will give you a menu, go to interface options and you'll see SPI. The only ones you want enabled is 1-wire and I2C.
Thanks for showing me command to get to reef pi menu. 

SPI was "disabled" and a verified only 1-wire and I2C were enabled. 

I'm going to sit and think about this for a day or so before I reinstall reef pi. 

When i do reload, I'll download my database first as backup.  Nice that Reef pi now has UI to download and import database.
Reply to top
Sounds good, I agree that backup is a nice feature, if the reinstall didn't work you could revert back easy.

I'll post a picture this evening showing where to check voltages so we know exactly what's going on. I'm leaning back towards a USB cable as it's the only thing that makes sense but with a few voltage checks we will know for sure.
Reply to top
(02-11-2021, 12:26 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 01:35 AM)hemiroyd Wrote: Vyskúšali sme 1-sekundovú kontrolu frekvencie. Žiadne kocky.

Tiež som sa predtým snažil pri testovaní rôznych portov vybavenia zistiť, že to malo niečo spoločné s portom, ako ste spomenuli. Smola. Dokonca som vyskúšal aj AC port. Pripojený tester obvodov striedavého prúdu, ktorý má vizuálny indikátor. Rovnaký výsledok. S obráteným portom konektora vždy udržuje zariadenie v činnosti. Pri „obrátenom“ nekontrolovanom zariadení sa nikdy nezapne, keď snímač prechádza z vody von.
Zajtra sa v práci pokúsim nájsť ďalšie USB A na A. Odrezám tiež konektor od kábla snímača a pripojím priamo k portu snímača na doske. To pomôže vylúčiť optickú dosku a kábel USB ako možných vinníkov.

..... nemôže to byť problém s vodičom alebo s čímkoľvek poškodeným v reefpi? Som na 4.1, ale začal som na 3.5 a senzory nikdy nefungovali. Všetko ostatné funguje dobre, snímač teploty, ovládanie analógového svetla. Dc port na zapnutie môjho 12V ventilátora.

Hi Loksik, did you have a question? Nothing was added on your post.
Reply to top
(02-11-2021, 01:14 PM)hemiroyd Wrote: Thanks for showing me command to get to reef pi menu. 

SPI was "disabled" and a verified only 1-wire and I2C were enabled. 

I'm going to sit and think about this for a day or so before I reinstall reef pi. 

When i do reload, I'll download my database first as backup.  Nice that Reef pi now has UI to download and import database.

Sorry this slipped my mind, here's the pinout. 

Verify it has 5v going into the sensor board and for sensors when wet you should get 3.3v and 0v off on the sensor pins. The USB on controller has same pinout.
Reply to top
(02-12-2021, 02:26 AM)Rob F Wrote: Sorry this slipped my mind, here's the pinout. 

Verify it has 5v going into the sensor board and for sensors when wet you should get 3.3v and 0v off on the sensor pins. The USB on controller has same pinout.
Potential bad USB cable was on my mind last night as well.  Everything sort of leads to that.  I could not find another USB A to A cable at work.  I tried multiple different USB extensions to see if the pinouts could get reversed and somehow corrected but no luck.  
Do you have a pic or diagram for the front of your optical extension board Rev C?  Or can I use diagram you sent Dukreef in this thread?  I just want to make sure i'm testing voltage at proper places.
Reply to top
Well isn't that nice of me to not actually post the image as I had planned, sorry here it is.

Reply to top
Lol. No worries. It happens to the best of us.

With the USB plugged into the controller and optical extension board I tested Between 5v pin and ground. 0 voltage. With sensor connected to board tested between sensor pin and ground.0 voltage. Figured sensor won’t show 3v without USB power. But thought I’d test just in case.

Best Buy and office max don’t have USB A to usb A. I found on Amazon but how do I know which cable has correct pin out needed?
Reply to top
Sounding like no shielding connected on that cable so no ground. If you check the 5v pin on extension and use a ground pin on a temp port do you get 5v? My guess is you do. If so cable is definitely missing the wire.

The cable I sent, was it in a bag or lose? There was a few orders I shipped with about a 1ft cable that was lose as I ran out, I thought it was ok but obviously not if that's the one. If it's the 3ft I'm stumped as to why.

This cable issue is why I started sending them, that's the problem you don't know what you get. I'm planning to switch to ethernet but downside is cables aren't so nice. It's probably easier if I just send you a cable otherwise you could be messing around for a while as you can't get it locally. Sorry for the troubles.
Reply to top
Tested 5v pin with temp ground on controller board. Confirm 5v.

The USB cable was out of package but is 3’ in length.

I can email you directly with my info. I’m just happy you figured this out and showed me how to test the board pins. Very useful info.
Reply to top
Well that cable will go down as a mystery, I don't know where I pulled it from.

Do send me an email and I'll get a cable out on Monday.
Reply to top
(02-11-2021, 03:38 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 12:26 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote:

Hi Loksik, did you have a question? Nothing was added on your post.

Hi Rob I noticed from my not posted that I want only to inform that I am also the same problem of not working ports 4,5a6
Reply to top
(03-06-2021, 04:27 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: Hi Rob I noticed from my not posted that I want only to inform that I am also the same problem of not working ports 4,5a6

Hi Loksik, sorry about that, were you able to check voltage to verify if it's the cable?
Reply to top
(03-06-2021, 05:28 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 04:27 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: Hi Rob I noticed from my not posted that I want only to inform that I am also the same problem of not working ports 4,5a6

Hi Loksik, sorry about that, were you able to check voltage to verify if it's the cable?
Finally, the cable on the sensor connector was badly connected.
Reply to top
(03-07-2021, 02:22 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: Finally, the cable on the sensor connector was badly connected.

That sounds like good news. :)
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Only the first temperature port seems to be active Jmgr 3 2,843 11-27-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  KXC-Y25-V wiring question to optical extension kukulin 5 3,709 10-31-2021, 05:05 PM
  Optical CO2 bubble counter? Sideways 3 3,180 01-23-2021, 04:20 PM
  optical sensor help jsweir 17 10,186 12-23-2020, 06:10 PM