Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaters did not shut off after maintenance
Currently running 5.04.  Sorry the 11:49 was a typo, the image correctly shows maintenance starting at 11:45:19 and ending at 12:15:17.  "If you can remember, were the heaters on or off when maintenance started?"  Looks like the heaters turned on 3 minutes or so before I started maintenance mode.

My thoughts on nothing ever changing the behavior of the heaters "behind the scenes" is as follows:

-Livestock is by far the most valuable thing in nearly every aquarium setup and by far the most likely cause of complete livestock loss is a heater that is stuck on or stuck off.  The cost of a heater running dry and breaking would be maybe $100 max, the cost of heater sticking on or off could be thousands of dollars
-I would proffer that a majority of aquarium keepers likely have a sump, and locate their heaters in an area of the sump that would never drop below a certain point unless specifically draining the sump.  Anyone doing this would likely be aware of exposing their heaters.  When doing water changes and the pump is off, the water in the sump is at a high state.  A higher state than normal running level, covering the heaters
-Maintenance mode already allows the user to choose to specifically turn off the heater outlets on the maintenance screen if they choose to, thereby allowing anyone that would want the heaters off during maintenance to specifically do so.  Same holds true for feed mode, setup allows for heater outlets to be shut off if desired

"(Maybe I should have the heaters auto turn off when maintenance starts). This also disables the chiller which I think would be good as you wouldn't want a surprise and have it turn on in the middle of maintenance."

In my opinion, anything that the setting itself allows the user to configure should behave exactly as configured. So if the user doesn't specifically turn off the chiller for maintenance, it should stay on, if the user doesn't turn off the heater, that should stay on. It's more intuitive that it works like the settings are set, so imo better to have 100% of the items work as configured and not have a assumptions or "hidden" exceptions.

If the chiller went on while in maintenance mode, intuitively the user would go the maintenance mode setup screen to check and say to themselves "Ahhh, I didn't turn the chiller off, thats why it went on". It would be more of a surprise to a user if they look at the settings and something happens that doesn't match with what the settings shows.
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
RE: Heaters did not shut off after maintenance - by midwestE - 03-07-2019, 10:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  After installation from 4,2 to 5,13 problem vilich 22 14,773 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Last Post: vilich
  lights goes off almost always when they are at high sun johnrc 7 7,561 07-20-2017, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Light after restart Arne 9 9,075 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM
  Video - ATO system (automatic top off) Rob F 0 3,606 06-23-2016, 03:07 PM