Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about purchasing a Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Kit
Trust me I've been there but I have it straight again in my head. :) The confusing part I think is you're forgetting the LDD is a driver for LED's, the lights already have a driver in them. This isn't required. I jumped to the gun saying you might have found something because I saw the DC-DC converter and the PWM control but then it all set back in.

All drivers require some type of signal to dim, the LDD's are happy with 0-5v PWM so they work directly off an Arduino. It's looking like the drivers in these lights use 1-10v PWM signal to dim. If Chris can see a model number on the driver maybe we can find out on the data sheet what they use. Voltage going in to those lights are 19.5v which is enough power to run those LED's, I think there are 4 of them so that's about 5v per LED at whatever current they're rated for. If we can find out the voltage coming from the controller for these lights we know what the drivers require. The drivers that are already in the light could be replaced with LDD drivers, that's the only way they would work.

The thing I don't like about the drivers in the light is it sounds like when the PWM signal voltage hits 1v the lights turn off, that will be a bit of a problem with settings but I think only visual. For example the sliders to adjust the lights wouldn't be accurate, currently when the sliders are set to 0 the controller puts out 0v PWM which is off on the LDD's, but off on these drivers would be 300-400 or something.

Edit: Oh here's a link with the LDD-1500L stating how it uses 5v PWM.
http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-ldd-15...le-driver/
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions about purchasing a Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Kit - by Rob F - 02-23-2017, 10:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A few questions before I click the buy button Elmo2002 7 6,792 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Wiring Eheim Feeder for Robo-Tank Gen3 Controller Rob F 7 7,016 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM
  New Proyect!! Some questions... jmcadsl 3 5,532 02-18-2018, 11:57 PM
  Questions about Robo Tank simonv92 18 16,215 10-04-2017, 08:53 PM