Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about purchasing a Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Kit
Yeah the USB cables have 4 wires in most cases, if a light is 2 channels then its possible the signal wire is going through that cable. Only thing that's hard to know is what's the maximum voltage being used for the PWM frequency. Maybe they are using the full 19v as the other light I got specs for used 15v I think which was close to the power going in. The only way to know is to put a volt meter on the signal wire and see what the voltage is when the controller's on high.

I do believe the controller can dim any voltage of PWM signal with a converter but that's where it gets difficult for me. Electronics isn't my strong point so it would be trial and error. I just checked the specs for the IC that does the conversion and its good for up to 32v so its possible the input voltage only needs to be increased to the 19v and it would put out 19v in a PWM signal. I can check one of them by adding more voltage and see what comes out.

Hi Chris, you like ripping lights apart don't you...  K05163  I read that in the manual but wasn't sure what "The SmartControl 8 can be connected to any external lighting controller or aquarium computer with a 1-10V output and it will slave from that signal." really means, is it taking that voltage and increasing it to match the lights? That's what I wonder.

If the SmartControl actually puts out a 1-10v PWM signal to the light then it shouldn't be hard to connect to the controller, just need to figure out wires in USB cable. I think you have one of those signal board converters from me, if you set the jumpers to 0-10v PWM it should be a direct connection to the light. I would first open the light if possible to see the USB connections, see which pin goes to the ballast which would be the signal wire. Then power up the light using its own DC adapter, find out which pins on the USB are power and ground. Then you should know which pin is for the signal to dim. Then it should be just a matter of running a ground from the controller to any DC ground on the light (for a common ground) powering up the light and connecting that signal wire to the output on the small converter board.
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions about purchasing a Robo-Tank DIY Aquarium Controller Kit - by Rob F - 02-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A few questions before I click the buy button Elmo2002 7 6,798 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Wiring Eheim Feeder for Robo-Tank Gen3 Controller Rob F 7 7,042 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM
  New Proyect!! Some questions... jmcadsl 3 5,537 02-18-2018, 11:57 PM
  Questions about Robo Tank simonv92 18 16,236 10-04-2017, 08:53 PM