Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATO second sensor used as pump run-dry protection
I never gave much thought to your intended use of the second float. It seems you are using it as back-up to the optical for the primary level in the sump to prevent an OVERFILL.  I have been using JBJ's ATO for years now without EVER an overfill catastrophe.  MY QUESTION is what protects the pump from running dry when the water level in the reservoir goes BELOW the minimum level. JBJ addresses this issue by placing the SECOND sensor in the reservoir and shuts down the pump to protect it when the reservoir goes dry. To prevent overfilling the sump or extended pump run-dry, it also has a maximum fill time the pump can run. 

I know we previously discussed your hesitation when first thinking about adding an ATO system, but there are many safeties built into today's modern aquarium systems. The biggest is that my SUMP can handle the COMPLETE AMOUNT of reservoir water (6 gal) WITHOUT overflowing. I like the logic so much from the JBJ that my Tunze Osmolator sits in it's original box unused! Also, the JBJ accommodates any 120V pump. However YES, the optical sensor of the Osmolator is far more reliable than float switches, even with the occasional need for cleaning. I DO have to clear my floats from time to time (salt creep, debris, etc). BOTH sensor types can suffer from wire failure (been there, done that) especially in a salt water environment. 

I thought about switching to your ATO when I upgrade to the expansion board. The thought was that a LOW water sensor in the RESERVOIR could send an ALERT when it's time to replenish the reservoir water. My wife, now, acts as that alert as the main pump makes noise when sump water gets low and my wife smacks me on back of the head and says to refill!!!

Sooooo, can your software as it is, support the second sensor in the reservoir and send an alert when low?   I think if I were to mount the float UPSIDE DOWN in the reservoir, when the level DROPS to it, it will shut OFF the ATO (reversing your existing logic) thus protecting the pump. I feel that I don't really need a back-up sensor in the main sump with all the other backups (I think you can set a time out on yours too??)
Here's a link to JBJ's manual. They have TWO modes and three use scenarios.
http://www.jbjlighting.com/media/ATOManual.pdf

With the JBJ, my top off pump runs for five to ten seconds at the most and cycles as necessary throughout the day (some of my tanks have a higher evaporation rate).
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
ATO second sensor used as pump run-dry protection - by Steve S - 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Any recommended Dosing pump fred73 6 5,473 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  ATO not working right brfreeman7 16 12,287 01-08-2019, 01:20 PM
  ATO Works Reverse Addi 17 14,558 04-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Last Post: jmcadsl
  Can the USB spare connector be used for MEGA Programming? Steve S 5 6,617 05-30-2016, 07:40 PM