Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water change capabilities
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me with a few questions.  I'm looking at swapping out my entire Neptune Apex system for a robo tank as I like the fact it can be tweeted and added to in arduino. I have a question that if it's a positive answer the order button will be clicked.

I am after automating the filling of a container with ro water and then carrying out a water change on the tank ie pumping out say 25ltrs measured with the flow sensor and then refilling back up to the ATO sensor level. Is this doable?

Many thanks Dave
Reply to top
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. You should be able to accomplish what you're after, the controller has 5 default ports for float switches or other water sensors that can control DC ports or AC outlets, you can also connect 2 flow meters and use them to control equipment as well. I don't recommend using a flow meter for this as they won't be the most accurate, it might be safer to use float switches.

Are you slowly filling the RO reservoir until it's full then proceeding with the water change once it fills up?

If so you could have a float switch in the RO tank at the full level, when it gets to that point an AC or DC pump would startup draining the main tank. In the main tank you would have a float switch at the level you want the tank to drain, when the water gets to this point the draining pump would shut off and another pump sitting in the reservoir would turn on pumping water into the main tank. You would have a 2nd float switch in the main tank at the full level and when it gets to this point the filling pump would shut off. This would require 3 float switches. You would have 2 remaining which you could use as backups or for something else. The ATO system wouldn't be used for this so you could still run that on the side if you wanted.

And of course I'm curious, why are you going to stop using the Apex? Surely you can do this with it?
Reply to top
Hi Rob, many thanks for your reply, I have been playing around with Arduino to see if I can make and program a stand alone water fill/mix and change for my marine tank that would work in tandem to the apex. After struggling I stumbled upon your controller that seems to have a solution to what I'm looking to do. But not being in a position to afford both I'd have to sell one for the other.

I like the fact that you can control 16 outlets which will give me the outlets needed for your suggested way.
Are you looking at being able to add to the number of inputs in a similar way to the aApex with the break out box as with the float switches listed, and my current set up in my overflow box and leak detection I will exceed the 5 switch's.
Dave
Reply to top
Hi Dave, currently you can control 16 outlets, with the next software update it'll control up to 64 outlets. After I finish this update I'll be making some addons for extra equipment and sensors. For analog sensors/float switches you'll be able to add up to 16 more ports. One thing I should mention, I currently only have AC power bars with North American outlets, I don't have any PCB's yet for the universal outlet. I got some a few weeks ago but messed up as the relays get in the way of the outlet so it won't go in the case. I haven't had time yet to get more made but will be doing that soon.
Reply to top
Hi Rob, Many thanks for your reply. That is great to hear with regards the updates. I no this is a silly question to ask due to other constraints but what sort of time frame are you looking at for rolling out the updates? As the latter addition of the 16 more ports is what I would be waiting for to be able to add the extra sensors and also control the RO inlet solinoids.
To be honest I would probably make my own power bar to keep the costs down.
Would it be a simple process to add either a manual button to start an automated fill and water change or an on screen button?

Thanks again
Reply to top
No problem, that's what I'm here for. I'm not the best with time frames but thinking it'll still be 4-6 weeks on the software update. I'm redoing everything and adding a bunch features and improvements so it's taking some time as I'm going all out and not cutting any corners. As soon as I finish this I'll be working on the addons and the sensor ports will be among the first. It'll probably take 2-3 weeks once I get there.

Sounds good on the power bar, that'll also keep the package under 2kg which really helps with shipping, unfortunately Canada post is expensive.

It would be easy to add a toggle or push button switch, this would require one of the 5 analog ports though. You could connect this to the float switch that starts the process if that works then you wouldn't require another port. To do all these things you would use the custom rules, you can turn on/off multiple items using the same ports over. Currently it wouldn't be easy adding a button to the screen, in the new update you'll be able to create a shortcut on the homepage dock for something like that.
Reply to top
So would be looking around the 8 week mark, that's sounds ok as it will give me time to sort and understand the sensor side of things and understand the ph and salinity connection.

Do you supply just the circuit board for the power bar to allow me to use my own box and sockets or can I just use a relay board? Is that where the weight for shipping is?

That's what I was hoping to do with regard the push switch, but as you can see that's why I need to wait for the extra add ons and sensor ports otherwise im going to be in trouble lol.

Do you have to sell bespoke kits as well if I were to make a list of the item that I believe I needed?

Also just a thought, what are the capabilities or possibilities of power monitoring on the power box to know how much power is being used per outlet?
Reply to top
Yeah 8 weeks is a good number. For PH and salinity you'll need the circuits from Atlas Scientific, they connect easy but do require some setup, I have a manual for them that explains everything.

For the power bar you can use your own relay module or you could use one of my PCB's and solder wire directly to it and to the outlets. Not having that board is the savings in weight but with just the board it still might stay under 2kg. We could probably take out a cable for the board to keep weights good. It's up to you, I can customize the kit to whatever you need. My power bar PCB connects to the USB on the controller as it uses I2C to communicate with controller.

If you use your own relay module there are plugs on the controller PCB where they would connect. In the past when I used those relay modules I used a VGA cable to connect power bar to controller as an 8 ch module requires 10 wires. If you go this route I would send some 6" jumpers that plug into the controller PCB which you would then add VGA sockets or extend length and connect directly to relay module. I also have VGA sockets and hardware if you wanted that and you could find a cable locally

When I originally added the 5 sensor ports I thought that would be plenty as it seemed to be more than other controllers but yeah they can go really quick.

It is possible to add power monitoring on the power bar but you will have to customize the code to accept it. One day I want this in my power bars but until I'm setup better for assembling I can't really do it. I have a power bar with no internal wires which is nice for assembling but adding this would mess that all up. Here's someone who did it so I know it's possible.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Ni...in-progres

Sorry but I wouldn't really have time to help with the code though so you would be on your own. I do know for sure this is something I'll be doing but could be 6+ months away.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  regulate the water temperature roland33 2 4,576 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Last Post: rott
  Water Flow Sensor ChrisC 1 3,881 01-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Rob F