Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temp Sensor Not Working
Rob, the micro SD card helped with the webpage issue but since then the water temp sensor is not working very well. It will work for a few seconds here and there. I've rewired it several times and it's the same issue each time. Perhaps something broke or is loose inside the controller case? I can open it up tonight to check.

I also have two other temp sensors from a Reef Angel but I can't seem to get them to work at all - perhaps it needs to be wired differently. I'll have to try again tonight.

I also have a sensor on one of my lights that works fine. The room temp/humidity sensor also is ok.
Reply to top
This sounds like a noise issue in your aquarium. Tanks are usually noisy because of heaters and pumps in the water and can cause issues with different sensors, this is why EC and PH probes needs to be isolated. This can usually be solved by using a ground probe in the tank and connecting it to the any GND on the controller. You can test using a piece of wire but as wire isn't good in a tank you can get a real ground probe if this fixes it. Here's a link to one, you can probably get them at your local fish store as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REEF-OCTOPUS-TI...SwKiZa61sv
Reply to top
I do have a grounding probe installed. I'll try the temp probe outside of the aquarium when I get home to see if it works then. What's interesting is that it has worked fine up until last night....
Reply to top
Yeah try the sensor out of the aquarium. What do you have the ground probe connected to? Is it the controller or something else? That issue can come and go and of course it could always be a bad sensor. It won't be anything with the controller, if it was a controller issue it would never work. Well I have to get ready and leave for the day but will be back. :)
Reply to top
Thanks for the help Rob. The grounding probe is connected straight to the wall outlet - didn't want it to have to go through any controllers or power strips which would (probably insignificantly) increase the resistance for the stray voltage. Like I said I'll try it out of the aquarium this evening as well as try those other sensors that I have as well - the three wires may be wired differently on those).
Reply to top
Ok, so I took the temp sensor out of the water and restarted the controller by unplugging it. It froze at the second red square so I unplugged it again. This time it started up correctly but the temp sensor was just showing N/A. I looked closer at the sensor and when I rubbed it, the silver on the outside of the sensor was falling off. I don't think the sensor is safe to use in saltwater.

I couldn't get the other sensors that I have from my reef angel to work. I wired them both up every way possible. One of them looked like it was going to work but it was just giving irratic numbers. The other one wouldn't work any way I tried, although it got extremely hot one of the ways I tried.

I ordered another sensor from dfrobot.
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-689.html
Does that seem like it should work ok? I should have it by tomorrow.
Reply to top
That occasional lockup of display on startup is in the code and should be fixed in v5. Because you got a 2nd red dot that does mean the controller did startup correctly, it's the display that didn't. If this happened while you were away the controller would have been ok.

Yeah unfortunately these DS18B20 sensors aren't the best for saltwater, well the sensor itself is good but saltwater can eat through the waterproofing. I'm going to look around to see if these could be coated with something to help, I'll let you know if I find anything. I'm surprised the sensors from the Reef Angel didn't work as they also use the DS18B20, maybe the color of wire for function doesn't make sense. I have seen some sensors with different color wiring and logical way of connecting was backwards. That sensor from DFRobot will work, it wires the same as the one you got from me.
Reply to top
Here's a temp sensor that's probably more reliable and no need to worry about the stainless steel as that style needs replacing every 6 months or so as they can start to rust and could harm the water at that point.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050
Reply to top
Awesome! I was looking for a plastic coated one!
Reply to top
I got the new temp probe up and running. I took a heat seal end cap that has a heat seal glue inside and put that over the stainless steel probe to help it last longer on the saltwater.
Reply to top
Glad to hear and yeah those plastic ones seem to be rare, standard is that metal tube. I've been looking for something like what you used so I can encase just the sensor but can't really find anything, now I think I'm going to make my own using food grade HDPE plastic.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  v5.02 Automatic Outlets Not Working jlysaght3 3 3,721 03-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  ATO Not Working As Expected aquaalgae 28 21,098 01-21-2019, 10:25 PM
  Flowmeter not working Arne 13 12,783 01-16-2018, 02:08 AM
  WOW Rob! That's Hot! Wrong temp displaying Steve S 1 3,348 03-15-2016, 10:12 PM