Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controller not booting
I'm not having the best luck with it.  I tried bending it one way and then the other, I have the 12v plugged in as I'm adding the Arduino so i can see when it makes contact.  If I plug the arduino all the way in it looses connection, but if I have it kind of angled up on the USB end a little, the Arduino LEDs light up bright and flash.  Is that ok if it is angled?
Reply to top
Wow that header is really off, if the display lights up and buzzer/photocell work then it's ok to be at an angle. Another option is to solder a wire to the top of the Arduino where you checked the voltage, I can find another 5v source you can use.
Reply to top
Another thing you could do is build up the 5v pin with some solder to make it thicker so it makes better contact.
Reply to top
So I left it angled and plugged in the display to the controller and plugged in power to the controller and the display is still not working. The voltage is now 1.061v on those pins.

So if I put power into the controller and see the Arduino LEDs on, then plug in the ethernet cable, the Arduino LEDS go off.
Reply to top
Ok so now if you have 12v going into display board the splash screen shows?

However if you unplug 12v from display and power display with ethernet cable you get nothing?

I updated that image in the previous post to show 2 extra points to check for 12v. Check this with the ethernet patch cable used.
Reply to top
Maybe if I solder it into another 5v source it will be ok?
Reply to top
If you have 12v with ethernet patch cable plugged in it'll be worth soldering that wire but I'll have one more test if you do have 12v.
Reply to top
No, even with just 12v going into display and Arduino LEDs on, the display is still off.

The new spot where it should be 12v it is 4.59v

I just checked the power supply it is 11.86v
Reply to top
hmmm, can you try unplugging the Arduino again and checking if the 4.59v goes to 12v and also check if that 5v pin has 5v. This check is using power from ethernet patch cable.
Reply to top
One other thing to check while the Arduino is removed, plug it into your computer with USB, that'll be enough power for it alone, then open the serial monitor just to verify you get data, it'll be errors but you should see.
Reply to top
When powering to the display directly: Without the Arduino it is 11.86v. The 5v pin is 5.02.

When powering through the controller/ethernet cable: without the arduino the 12v is 4.09v and the 5v is 2.58v.

Yes, I get :
Initializing sd card...
ERROR - sd card initialization failed!
ERROR - Can't find homeIcon.raw file!
eepromValue: 255
Reply to top
Wow, then the problem must be from the controller or actual power supply. I assume when you tested the power supply at 11.86v that was with nothing connected? If so it could show a good voltage because it's not under a load but once it's under a load it drops.

Can you open the controller and you'll see the 2 terminals where the DC power goes in, check there with the controller and display turned on, if it's low then I think the power supply died.
Reply to top
It is indeed the power supply. I have an extra 12v 5a power supply. I connected it and it boots with power through the controller/ethernet cable. Thank you for the troubleshooting help!
Reply to top
Ah wow, all this for a power supply lol... Nice to have a happy ending, would you like me to send you a replacement? I didn't even think of it because it's 5amp and the system is drawing well under 2, guess it was a dud. Thanks for your patience! Hope everything is smooth from here.
Reply to top
No thanks! Yeah, hopefully smooth sailing!
Reply to top
It should be, the controller is quite stable, I wouldn't be doing this if I had lots of issues. The main issues I have is header related but those usually show up immediately or they're ok for the most part. I've left mine tank unattended for 3+ weeks many times with no issues and it's run many months in concession without a glitch and I know many others who have as well. I can't say it's run years because sometimes I use it for testing so I upload and disrupt the timeline. I still have people running the original controller with no issues so I expect these to last many many years. Now I just need to save up for my pick and place machine and I can embed the Arduino and say goodbye to headers.
Reply to top
I plugged everything back in this morning and it froze on the second red square again. That was with it through the Ethernet cable. I unplugged the power for a couple seconds and plugged it back in and it booted ok.
Reply to top
This will be code related now and I'll be improving it, I'm surprised you get that as often as you, probably because you've had to reset the controller so often. That won't effect anything, if you were away and power went out and that happened the controller is still running and you'll still be able to access via the web.
Reply to top
So even if it happens and just stays that way, the temp is is being monitored and the heater will turn on and off, same with rh lights and ATO? Is there a way to restart the controller remotely from the webpage? Also, is there a better way of rebooting it other than unplugging it?
Reply to top
That's right, the display is only used to change settings which are sent to the controller. Everything will still run normally, the only issue with that is you wouldn't be logging data because that's done on the display however in v5 I'm going to save logs to the controller. You'll still get emails etc... If you plug in the controller only it'll still startup and everything will be in auto mode according to schedules, rules etc..., once setup you don't need the display. You can't reboot controller from webpage, I will think about that and currently you can only reboot by unplugging it, I am going to add a button on display to do that. There is a cheat you can do though, if you go to settings, clock and hit save the controller and display will reboot.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controller Info Page aquaalgae 3 4,858 08-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Problem with the controller when the electric current is stopped. vilich 6 6,538 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Last Post: rott
  Help with Controller Issues koast 8 8,450 05-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Rob F