Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network not connecting
Well I've been testing and this is my thought. After playing I do remember the "glitch" where a rule can turn something on or off multiple times, in your case when the temp is hitting 79.9 it turns on outlet 2. If it stays above 79.9 nothing will happen until it hits 80.7 to turn off, that makes sense. However when it hits 80.7 to turn off it does so but then it drops to 80.6 and goes back to 80.7 so it turns off again. Based on your log for that day your temp hovered around the 80.5-81.1 and never hit 80.4 or less for that day. I say that because I don't see outlet 9 ever turning on which would happen when temp hit 80.4 and outlet 2 would turn on if it hit 79.9 but that didn't happen. So everything here worked as expected and for the duplicate off's all day long I don't like that and was always going to change things so that wouldn't happen. I wasn't super worried because it always takes 10+ seconds to run a 2nd time which isn't a problem, the big thing I didn't like was all the entries in the log. Also because it's repeating the same on or off it has no effect on the relay.

As for outlet 4 turning on but not off I'm thinking this as I can't find any issues. This is assuming the SD card didn't capture everything which is possible as the SD card is giving issues and I think you mentioned some lines were missing in the temp graph which would be the same. But what I'm thinking is the float was moving similar to the end of the day at 20:19:43 where it turned on or off 12 times within a second and could be much quicker. That could have caused the relay to miss the last signal sent as it was busy switching when it came in. If you setup 2 custom rules, one to turn outlet on if float is open and the other to turn off with float open the relay will go nuts because when the float is open its trying to turn the outlet on and off at the same time, if you do that over you'll see sometimes it won't stop where it was suppose to. So that's an example of how you can see this happen. If something similar happened it could have caused this and based on 20:19:43 something similar is happening. I think once you go to the ATO ports you won't have that again.

Also I don't like to see that outlet 4 turn on/off so often, in that day it did that at least 72 times which can shorten the life of the relay.
Reply to top
I agree, I don't like it turning on/off so many times per day either. I want to eventually move the heaters and ATO pump to SSRs when they are available, but still 72 times/day is very excessive. So if I use the updated code you sent me, it should turn the ATO (Relay 4) on/off much much less, correct? I will make sure this gets done this weekend.

The issues with the log being so long because the slight temp fluctuations will be fixed in V5?
Reply to top
Yeah using the updated sketch will fix the on/off all day long, in the log you'll see ATO turned on/off and emails will say ATO, you do need to enable those on the "web alerts" page though. The temp fluctuations affecting the logs will also be fixed in v5.
Reply to top
Rob,
I finally tried the controller sketch that you sent me, but none of the outlets would turn on or off even manually. I reloaded the regular controller sketch for now, but would like to use the ATO code if possible. I did get the new SD cards and I believe they are both working well.
Thanks!
Reply to top
Sorry about that, kind of surprised as I changed very little and it doesn't require any loading defaults or syncing. When you change them manually does the display show on or off in manual mode? I'll look into it shortly. Glad those new cards are working.
Reply to top
I just tested the sketch and its working, any chance there was a bad connection to power bar?
Reply to top
Ok so I decided to just reformat both cards and reloaded the sketch again on both the controller and display (the new sketch you sent me for the controller and the original 4.20 for the display).

When the controller booted up, it had a weird thing for the user and pass on the display. I attached an image. I then disabled and reenabled the internet and it still had the same issue. I then saved the time to get it to restart and it looked normal. When I go to the webpage though (either locally or using my external IP) it just shows a blank white page, it doesn't ask for my user and password.

The ATO does appear to be working with outlet 4 however I don't think the backup float is working. I have it installed upside down but it doesn't seem to do anything no matter how i move the float.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Looks like the controller doesn't like that SD card, use the one I sent with the new board as it works good for sure.

I forgot to mention the ATO won't work with the float switch as that's tied into the DC circuit for the ATO pump. The Arduino doesn't see that float so I can't do anything with it at the moment. The timeout timer on the service page for ATO will work though. If you set it to 1 minute and let it run you'll see after a minute it will stop and the ATO icon will turn red. When the icon turns red you can press it to reset the ATO.
Reply to top
Which SD card do you think it doesn't like? The controller or the display?
Reply to top
The card in the controller, it's acting like the card you originally had.
Reply to top
I swapped out the micro SD card in the controller. It seems to have fixed the issue with the webpage not loading. I don't understand why it doesn't like that card. Does it work better with smaller cards?

BTW, I started having another issue last night with the temp probe not working. I started another thread for it.

Thanks Rob
Reply to top
Unfortunately I don't have an answer why some cards don't work, I still don't understand it. Obviously something different is happening in these cards, I would love to know. Smaller cards do seem to work better but that isn't a given. I do know once a card is "accepted" it'll always work, I know the 4gb card you have and confident it won't cause you any issues. But part of the mystery is your new 16gb card seems to be working ok in the display yet they are the same hardware and software. Also that first faulty card you had worked fine until the w5100 started using it, just like what's happening with your new 16gb.
Reply to top
I was just wondering, what SD and micro SD readers do the display and controller use?
Reply to top
The reader is the Arduino and I'm using the SDFat library. After I get a bit more finished I'm hoping I can figure out how the card is read and see if I can make improvements.
Reply to top