Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank v5.0 Screenshots and Flowchart - Ideas Needed
While it is good to disable say ATO if there is an error condition it would be good to add ability to reset it via web connection when you are unable to get to tank. I had this happen and had to call for help.
Would like to have a watchdog like function that resets controller if some condition isnt met like not having had a web connection for a day etc. Also ability to request a reboot via web. I am currently away and cannot get connection. Can see that router sees RoboTank but it is not connected to network. I have slow internet connection on ship and that seems to cause issues.
Reply to top
Hi rbrtwtrs, oh no, I never thought of being able to reset it remotely, I'll definitely add that. Sooner than later I'm going to use something different for the web other than the w5100. I don't like the it on the same Arduino that runs the controller, it's ok for the very basics but once using a browser it can cause lag on the controller sometimes. I think most of the issues that people have had is because of it, maybe you were trying to connect when the ATO was running and the Arduino was paused by the w5100 while it was trying to connect and it missed the ATO shut off. Once the 30 second timeout happened the backup shut off the ATO. With the web on a different MCU it'll have no effect on the controller. I've noticed people who don't use the web have no issues and people who do have the odd issue so thinking that's why.
Reply to top
Would this be an add-on that I'd be able to purchase to have the web on a different MCU?

Also, I've had an issue lately where I try to change the lighting with the temporary dimming mode and it doesn't actually change the light until I restart the controller. It'll work after restarting but then a few days later I'd I try it again it won't respond again. Would this be fixed with all that you're changing with V5?

Thanks!
Reply to top
Yeah that would be an add-on. I'm in a tough place right now with the web and really don't want to use the w5100 for loading a webpage but it'll be a while before I have this ready. So I'm thinking in v5 I'll only setup the w5100 to do all the alerts, weather etc... but not have the web page yet or just use what I currently have until I can get this finished. Once I have this finished I'm going to remove the w5100 completely and figure out a way of packaging this in.

I actually just discovered that light issue for myself about a month ago but yes definitely fixed for v5 which I'm working hard at, will be nice when it's finished.
Reply to top
Awesome! I guess I'd prefer it just stay the way it is with the webpage until you get it fixed with the new controller since I use the webpage from work sometimes.
Reply to top
Yeah I'll probably keep it as today for now, the code to load the web page is separate so I can easily copy it over.
Reply to top
I vote you not sweat the webpage for now. I would really prefer that you were using MQTT and connecting via an app. The w5100 could do that and would likely be much more reliable than the webpage.
Reply to top
Thanks, I'll look into that. I still want to move away from the w5100 overall, I prefer the MCU for controller to do just the controller. When the w5100 connects to the network for example the Arduino can be paused for 2-10 seconds and when loading the page if its slow that means the controller is much less responsive during that period, without it the controller will always be real time. I've thought about making an app but I think I'll use web based so all devices work out of the box.
Reply to top
I totaly understand the desire for a webpage based interface but it will be inherently slow and have allot of lag. A MQTT based interface using something like Node Red Dashboard is cross compatible on Mac, Windows and Android and will be reliable and operate near real time. It will also be able to be integrated into other home automation setups including Alexa and Google Home.
https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-dashboard
https://youtu.be/NjKK5ab0-Kk
Anyway, just a suggestion. Im no expert on any of the above. Maybe someone with more know how could weigh in?

They are using it for Reefmate http://www.inventmarine.com/blog/node-re...ontroller/

Seems like Reefmate never made it off the ground but has some interesting ideas.

Can you say "OK Google feed the fish" ? :)
Reply to top
Thanks for the suggestions, always welcome. I watched the video and sounds pretty good but I have to say I don't like the Reefmate at all but the node-red dashboard looks ok. I also don't understand how anyone with a controller would need to do any programming, isn't that why you buy one? I've seen the advance things that can be done with Apex but my thought is make a UI. I will look into MQTT though but I have a lot of research to do. I don't know if I want to tell Google to feed my fish, maybe I say feed me fish and Google messes up. :)
Reply to top
I agree that having the user have to do a bunch of programming is not a good idea and will not appeal to most people. Theres a BRS TV video that discusses that and Ryan concludes that easy and intuitive should be the goal.
Reply to top
I've always believed people who do lots of programming and system design are the least likely to come up with the next new intuitive whatever, the best is getting input from users who know nothing about the product. I've created a few programs and once deployed some features that were thought to be intuitive really wasn't so much. I'm always trying to step out of programming mode and into user mode but not always so easy.
Reply to top
So I think my lights are up a little too much but I keep forgetting change the dimming levels until I get to work. This had me thinking that it'd be really nice to be able to control all aspects of the controller either on the webpage or using MQTT as rbrtwtrs was saying. I know that would probably be a big project, but just shooting out ideas. How's V5 coming along?
Reply to top
I do have plans to add everything to the web, at that point display would be optional but it would also update if changes were made on web instead. It will be a big project so will take some time but it will be happening. v5 will use the current web page until I can start.

v5 is coming along nicely but yeah taking longer than I had hoped, needless to say I really want to get this finished and working every day on it. It's taking so long because everything is redone, I haven't copied one line of code from v4.2. The new UI is fully dynamic which really takes a lot of work and thinking. I'm currently working on the display and then will do the actual controller but it won't take nearly as long. To date I have finished the temp sensors, analog sensors, dc accessories, dosing pumps, flow meters, ATO, additional probes, light modes, light schedules, feeding options, custom led sliders, custom outlets, custom dc accessories, scheduling system and almost finished the custom rules. Only 2 big systems left is the alerts and maintenance then a bunch of smaller details. I also want to try and do something special for the home page so it'll probably be a week of work right there. I hate to say it but probably another month to go, so many details to cover.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

Hope everything is going well, the update on V5 sounds great! Everything has been working well so I'm excited to see what a basically totally new Robotank looks like :-)

We've been (finally!) stocking our tank with coral the past few weeks, and I was thinking about updating our old wavemaker powerheads, then I remembered that it was going to be an option on the new version. I don't have a problem waiting of course, but any idea, hardware wise, how that's going to work? What kind of pumps should I be looking at? AC or DC, PWM, etc..

Thanks!
Reply to top
Hi Skwerl77, glad things are working well, always nice to hear. For a powerhead either AC or DC will work to start but only basic on off pulsing. I think I'm going to hold off on the power head settings page as I need to make a basic addon for PWM or Analog power heads. The AC or DC can be controlled using schedules, they have a feature to turn something on/off every so often, from 1 second to hours. However doing that you should use solid state relays instead of the standard ones.

V5 will be a big improvement but the look and feel will be the same. It'll also improve reliability and once I get the web off it'll be rock solid. I'm in over a 1000 hours now so hope everyone likes it, plan for another 12 hours today. :) Not a lot of new major features but everything has been improved and features added to current features. The big changes is the ability to customize just about everything, pages are dynamic, alerts, schedules and custom rules. Remaining for now is adding some extra alert pages to go with different system, maintenance mode, customize options for home page, heaters, DC schedules, dosing schedules, feeder schedules and system info page. Then on to the actual controller but that should only be a couple weeks. Was trying my hardest to finish before Christmas but becoming obvious I won't, the details never end, I'm going with another month lol...

Here's an update I was going to post soon with some screenshots that changed quite a bit from previous mock ups, sorry some aren't perfect and show duplicate data, didn't feel like taking the time yet to clean them up.

[Image: Customize_Display.jpg]

Like all other pages, if you don't have for example flow meters being used you won't see anything related.
[Image: Customize_Labels.jpg]

This page shows all the AC outlet schedules set, there will be similar page for DC accessories, dosing pumps and feeder. Each column can be sorted ascending or descending, all list pages like this can be.
[Image: Schedules_Outlets1.jpg]

After selecting the outlet screen this is all the available options. Different sections do grey out if not applicable based on other settings.
[Image: Schedules_Outlets3.jpg]

This is a simple dashboard of all upcoming schedules for all equipment so you can easily see what's going to happen in the future. Nothing can be edited from here, only visual list, you will have option to add a shortcut to home page dock to access easy. Can be sorted as well.
[Image: Schedules_Upcoming.jpg]

This is a list of all alerts setup, it's working but some basic changes to come. 
[Image: Settings_Alerts1.jpg]

When creating a new alert you get a list of all connected sensors to choose from. This list changes based on what you have connected.
[Image: Settings_Alerts2.jpg]

This is where you set the options for the alert, there's different variations of this page depending on sensor selected.
[Image: Settings_Alerts3.jpg]

This is the final setup for custom rules for now. When you select a sensor for a new rule it's the same as the alerts.
[Image: Settings_Custom_Rules1.jpg]

These are the options for the custom rule. You can see different alert icons on image above but no room on this page so you use alerts page to setup alerts for rules. I'm torn on this as it doesn't make much sense, I'm still going to see if I can cram them on here.
[Image: Settings_Custom_Rules3.jpg]

This is the main page for storm settings.
[Image: Settings_Weather1.jpg]

These are the advance settings if not using "auto mode". The "Cloud Over Target" screen is just the slider LED page.
[Image: Settings_Weather2.jpg]
Reply to top
Oh, I also have some exciting news I forgot to mention, a deluxe AC power bar. Most of you have probably seen me talking about a power bar with solid state relays but now I've changed that to a full featured power bar. Once finished v5 I'm going to be working on this, it'll have SSR's, indicator lights, processor and wait for it, current transformers or known as CT's. It'll have 9 of them so you can monitor power consumption on individual outlets and total for power bar. I've sourced out all the parts so it'll will happen. Cost will be $199.95, a little high but parts are expensive and lots to assemble but it will be good quality. I'm going to rate the outlets at 5amps as the SSR's are good for 8amps. The processor will be an emergency backup, if the power bar is disconnected from the controller each outlet will go in a mode you program from the display. This would be good if the power goes out but you have power bar on emergency backup power, it can function without controller draining the battery. I'll probably add some simple scheduling to it as well programmed from the display so outlets can go on/off based on intervals.
Reply to top
Looking good Rob. I like the idea of the processor in the deluxe power bar.
Very soon I will be moving robotank to my DT. That does have a backup system on it (24v dc) to keep the return pump running if the power goes out but when robotank goes on it, it would keep all the 24v and 12v system running and shorten the run time (unless I could use a mains powered relay to trigger a custom rule)
Perhaps a "low voltage" input power option in the future maybe (as in for the power to run the processor in the bar)

Are the trigger points for the heaters now adjustable in 0.1 degree C increments?
Reply to top
Thanks, it's coming along. I'm also going to put the processor on the basic power bar as it's a good feature.

If I understand you correctly you can't use an AC outlet to trigger a custom rule, someone asked about this once and I started adding the feature but since redoing them on v5 I opted not to add them. It didn't really make sense to me why you would ever use an AC outlet to trigger a rule especially now the DC accessories have full scheduling. Reason I think this is the only things that trigger an outlet is a schedule, custom rule, feeder or heater so whatever is going to trigger it can be done for whatever else. If you wanted a DC accessory triggered when an outlet goes off you can use the same method that triggers the outlet. Now the DC accessories will have full scheduling and also work with the feeder.

I'm a little confused why a DC power input would be needed for power bar. The power bar has a 1amp AC-DC module which powers everything up when the power bar is plugged in 120v. If there's no access to 120v the power bar would be useless anyways so there wouldn't be a need to power it using a DC source. The backup source would need an AC converter so it can be used. Maybe I'm missing something?

All the heater/chiller settings will have 0.1 increments in either format and if you change from C to F all the settings will follow unlike now.
Reply to top
Hi Rob
The idea of the relay to trigger a custom rule was to have the relay powered from the mains input so it is always on when the mains is on, have the switched contacts connected to an input on robotank, when the mains goes out the contacts open (or close) and trigger the custom rule.

Reason for that is most of my equipment is either 12 or 24vdc and its all powered from one big power supply (robotank will be powered from this Via a big buck converter), that gets rid of the individual power bricks (less heat, more space, less mess etc) and it has a battery backup bank attached for power failures.

I have made two power bars for mine, one is 240ac for heaters, skimmer & reactors, the other one is 24vdc that I use to control the pumps, wavemakers etc.
Without some way of letting robotank know of a power failure it would just keep all of the 24v equipment running reducing the run time on battery, hence the relay and custom rule, if input X is triggered then turn off all but the return pump, if not run as normal.

My guess with your deluxe power bar would be that it will have an internal power supply to run the processor, with a UPS that would work fine but not in my case.
I do have a ups I could use but converting 24vdc to 240vac then back via the power bricks would be so inefficient when I can just use the 24vdc direct.

My power supply has a connection for the backup batteries so it float charges them all the time, when the power goes off it switches over to the batteries the same as a ups but without the losses.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powerhead Control Ideas Rob F 17 16,103 04-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  AC Outlet Icon Ideas Rob F 6 6,649 04-27-2018, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Rob F