Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port assignments
Hi Rob,

For a basic rule, I want to put a fan on my LED light, and a DS18B20 in the light enclosure, and I want to turn on the fan when the temp sensor gets to a certain level. The G3 "Connecting the Equipment" instruction lists Plug 7 - Port 11 as the Light Temperature Sensor, but when I go into the Rules or Port Assignments menu on the controller, it lists Port 11 as a DC accessory. 
Also, when looking for the fan that I plugged into Port 17 (DC Accessory DC Ground) in the Custom Rules menu, all that is available are the AC outlets, Dosing pumps 1-8, and Ports 10-13.
Is there a way to configure things differently to make this work?

Instruction (Page 6)    Controller (Port Assignments)
Port 6    Main ATO Float            Temp or Humidity
Port 7    Backup ATO Float        Temp or Humidity
Port 8    ATO Pump Ground       Temp or Humidity
Port 9    Water Temp                Temp or Humidity
Port 10  Air Temp                     DC Accessory
Port 11  Light Temp                  DC Accessory
Port 12  Extra Temp                  DC Accessory
Port 13  Extra Temp                  DC Accessory
Port 16  Flow Meter 2 Data        Main ATO (Digital)
etc.

Thanks as always, you rock.
Reply to top
Sorry about the confusion with the ports, this is the problem with me changing hardware. I'll have to come up with a quick update so a board version can be selected on the display to update the port numbers accordingly.

The ports in the G3 "Connecting the Equipment" has the correct info, ignore the port numbers on display. All the pins controlling things are the same on G2 and G3 just the reference for port numbers is different.

You can control a fan using the custom rules, connect the DS18B20 to any sensor port and in the custom rule select the same temp sensor using the same name. Same with the DC accessory port. Hope this makes sense.
Reply to top
I still can't find port 17 that I plugged the fan into.. The 4.10 User Manual says that ports 14-17 "are the 4 other device ports but no settings available, currently you add your flow meters here. Future releases will add other devices."
Will the display selection update clear this up too?
Reply to top
Sorry maybe I didn't send you the file I attached, it shows the port numbers on controller. Then ignore the port numbers on display and go by the names, DC accessory 1 as an example will line up the same with this diagram and Gen2 controllers. When I update the software everything will line up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Hi Rob,

On plug 4, ports 2 through 5, I have float switches connected, and I assume that one side of the switch goes to the port connection and the other side goes to the ground on that connector plug.. However the input doesn't do anything when I create a Rule for it ("Sump low" turns the return pump off).
I used a piece of jumper wire to short the input to ground in order to rule out a faulty switch, and that didn't do anything. When I jump that input to 5V for the hell of it, it switches the pump off like it's supposed to. Do I need pull up/down resistors on those inputs or should they be connected to 5v instead of ground?

Thanks!
Reply to top
Hi Jared, you connect the other side of switch to +5v as you did with the jumper. This sends +5v (actually +3.3v because of voltage divider) to Arduino pin. On the board just above those ports you'll see a section for pullup/down resistor, I've put both pads so it can be more flexible and mount a pulldown resistor on each of those ports which keeps it off (0v) when nothing is plugged in.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble understanding port number notorious.jatt 13 8,822 07-15-2019, 03:24 AM
Last Post: ZeeSocial
  Video - Port Forwarding Robo-Tank Rob F 3 55,276 03-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Last Post: rott