Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello my name is Michael Im looking at picking up one of these units to set up a 180 gallon reef tank. I love to blog projects so plan on doing this one since very few exist. I have basic electronic skills but am dame good at following a procedure. Looking at combining the controller to 3 mars 165w aquas, 2 fluval sp6 or maybe the jebo dct 9000 pumps. want to set the controller to do a feed mode which shuts off these 2 pumps for feeding. dose pumps, ato, and flow meters will be ones from atlas scientific however my plumbing is 1 inch so there is a concern with the flow meters. the display unit will be cutout mounted on the upper center of the stand between the doors.

here is the link  blog of the build so far on my local reef club forums

http://www.bayoureefkeeping.com/forums/t...80-gallon/
Reply to top
Hi Michael, thanks for your interest, I went through your blog, looks like you got a good deal. :) Good job on cleaning everything, those first pictures looked pretty scary. When you're done it looks like you're going to have a showroom piece. Just to clarify the controller isn't Pi based, it uses two 32bit Arduino Due's, these are the fastest available. One arduino runs the display and one runs the controller. 

Assembling the controller is fairly straight forward, some basic soldering is required for a few internal patch cables but there's an option on the kits to have this done.

To run the mars aquas you'll need a signal converter board as these lights are 0-10v, apparently some are analog and some PWM but the converter can do both types. The controller LED channels put out 0-5v PWM signal. You'll have to open the lights and add the converter internally then run the signal wire from the controller to the light. Here's a link with a little info that might help. I have the converters in 4 or 8 channel.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-16...94#pid1094

The Fluval SP6's won't be a problem as they are AC, you just need to factor in the power bar can only handle 10amps max, looks like you have a lot of large pumps. You could build it using two 4 channel relay modules so you can have 20 amps max more than your wall can probably handle. :)

The Jebo DCT9000 would require additional hardware because they draw about 2.7amps on full, the max the controller board can put out is 3amps and 1-1.5amps is already being used for display etc... I have external boards with mosfets that can handle a bit more power and could be put inline. Currently the code is only setup to turn 4 DC accessories on or off but the ports are capable of adjusting speed I just need to get that feature added. 

The controller doesn't work with the Atlas Scientific dosing pumps, flow meters or ATO, only the PH, ORP, Dissolved Oxygen and Conductivity circuits.

For dosing pumps you can use any standard 12v pump, a lot of people use this style because its cheap but there are better quality ones available. These connect directly to the controller and it'll turn it on/off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dosing-Pump-Per...SwjS9ZiWeT

For flow meters here's one I found for 1" that should work, it needs to be similar to this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITEN-G1-Wate...0505.m3226

The controller does have a good ATO system built in. It uses 2 float switches, one is for monitoring level, another for backup. There's also a timer backup system in the code that will still shut off the pump if both sensors fail. The main float switch can also be any Arduino analog water sensor if you so desire. You can also use custom rules to turn on the DC accessory pumps using digital or analog sensors.

Mounting the display in a cutout can be done however I don't have a bezel but could design and print something out for you similar to this.

https://www.robo-tank.ca/forum/Thread-Ni...in-progres

If you have more questions let me know.
Reply to top
Thanks for giving me a head start on this. I seem to have sparked quite a bit of interest on my local reef forum by the responses on it. I plan on trying to pick up the deluxe plug and play setup next month since funds are tight. From there my 12 year old son and i plan on working on it together. I mentioned pie because of the palm size computer he got for his birthday. we are teaching ourselves the computer language. I have the feeling with this blog on my local reef forum will give you a spike in business so i will start sending people to your site. Im looking forward to doing some amazing things with this system. Thank you for the technical support and generating such a great product with so much potential.
Reply to top
No problem, thanks for the free advertising. :) That's cool you have your son involved, that's a good age to start, if he enjoys it sky's the limit for him. The Arduinos are a great learning tool as well, not much you can't do with them and there's all kinds of examples on the web.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy New Year! JFReyes 1 1,237 01-01-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Happy New year! onyx 2 3,697 01-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dom59