Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What all do I need?
Hi Rob,
I’ve been pretty happy with the Robo Tank software, and even more happy with the hardware. Through fault of my own, I did get some water onto the controller board and it causes me not to trust it 100%. Either way, I like v3 design and the modularity. I just need a tad bit of direction in what all I might need to buy. 

What I have from Robo Tank
Qty 1 controller boards v2
Qty 2 power-boards
Qty 1 sensor ext. module
Qty 1 DC ext module
Qty 1 pca expander
QTY 1 usb sensor ext. 

Equipment I control  
6 float sensors - for AWC tank chambers (salt, ro, waste)
4 sensor ports - buttons like arcade buttons. I know it’s not officially supported but I wanted it. 
2 sensors ports (using the USB expander) for 2 optical sensors. 
6 DC ports - valves
2 DC ports - 1 peristaltic pump and relay. (To switch forward and reverse)
4 dc ports - dosing pumps, though this may go away for Red Sea dosing pumps. 

Now to the question. 

If I buy V3 what all would I need? I think just the package minus the power bars. Do you still bundle the USB sensor port thing in? Mine I stupidly modified and it won’t work in the new setup. Possible to add more sensor modules? Thanks for all your help Rob!
Reply to top
I realize I posted this in the wrong thread and can’t find a delete button so I can post it under Hardware. Sorry about that everyone.
Reply to top
Hi albinochicken89, I just moved the thread, I probably wouldn't have noticed if you didn't mention it. :)

Glad to hear things are going well minus the water damage, I'm thinking for the next revision I'm going to move all the ports to the side which should make it harder for water to get in, sadly I've heard this a few times.

Everything you have will be compatible with v3 except for that small USB ATO sensor extension, that was special to v1 and v2 controller. Instead all the sensors are remote on v3 however you don't have access to the backup float port on the new sensor module, those are now on the equipment extension with the DC ports and a couple on the main controller for 2 AC outlets. I can see that's not ideal for ATO something I'll have to reconsider on the next revision. I mentioned next revision a couple times, there definitely will be one but it's at least months away, maybe for the new year. I think I'm going back to all in one, v3 has been good to me I just think the layout could be better based on feedback.

If you had enough ports now then you'll be ok with v3 as the count is the same. Adding more sensor ports would require another pca9685 expansion and you would lose the 2 sensor ports on the DC extension so you would gain four. I don't think I want to recommend this though as adding another pca9685 to the I2C could start causing reliability issues. If reef-pi adds the pca9685 verification I would say it's ok, my software is doing this so I would feel more comfortable if you used it with an extra pca9685.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Solved]DS18B20 all temp sensors disappeared kukulin 1 1,472 11-05-2021, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Rob F