Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Display does not connect!
Hello Rob,
I have problems with the display: It does not find the controller any more!
I have completely deleted the controller and the display (with the script which I got from you longtime  ago).
Then I rewritten the SD-Card and reset the software. But without success.
Strange is also the text (it is 2 or 3 times the same text)
I have the system re-stored several times but everything without success.
Can you tell me what is best to do?

Thankyou

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Hi Roland, sorry you're having issues, sounds like an IC on the board went bad, how's your soldering skills? I attached some sketches to load on display and controller to check it. After uploading reset the display to run the test.

Attached Files
.zip   Communications_Check.zip (Size: 22.87 KB / Downloads: 198)
Reply to top
Hello Rob,

Thanks!

after restart the display show:

"Serial 1 Works 50"

that's all...
Reply to top
You should also have serial 2 and 3 works. Do you have another patch cable to try in case that's the problem?
Reply to top
Hello Rob,
I try different patch cable, it is allways the same ?
Reply to top
I'm afraid the IC on the board went bad, any chance you have a hot air gun with a tip? If so the IC is pretty easy to change.
Reply to top
Hello Rob,
please can you tell me what chip on witch board?
Reply to top
Here's an image showing the IC's, you'll see the same ones on the main controller board. I can give you a better idea of which one needs replacing if you can do the following.

Connect both display and controller to your computer. Open both of those test sketches you loaded, then open the serial monitor in each Arduino IDE. 

After you have both serial monitors open you'll see data, if you send me that I'll find out. If you close the serial monitor for the display and open again the test will run. If the data is garbage change the baud rate in the bottom right corner of the serial monitor to 115200.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Hello Rob,

here is the result.
Please can you tell the type of the IC's.
I have no solder for smd, but I think it make sens to buy a smd-soldering equipment than ship the PCB from Austria to Canada and back..

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Thanks Roland, my guess is the problem is on the controller board. I should have asked before, what board do you have exactly? I've changed the placement of components on different boards, check if you see a REV version on the board near the w5100 Ethernet shield.

You don't need any special tools to remove the IC I figured it would be easier. I just made a short video showing how to remove them with only a soldering iron, it was easier than I expected. :)

If you still have the older controller boards and not using them you could probably remove the IC from one of them and use it, don't worry about the heat on the IC they can withstand a lot. I can send you some IC's but it would likely take 7-10 days to arrive, either way I'll get some in the mail for you so you have them.

https://youtu.be/nuF8qaTtZU4
Reply to top
Hello Rob,
I have the blue board Rev-D.
Reply to top
It should be the IC I changed in the video, just under it you should see IC2. Note the orientation, it needs to be the same on the replacement.
Reply to top
I confirm
I also had problems, I exchanged IC

When will update? Other functions.
Reply to top
Hi Irass, sorry it's been a while without an update but one will be coming, just been really busy lately with work and other things.
Reply to top
Hello Rob,
at the weekend I tried to exchange the IC's at the controller and the display.
Unfortunately, the result has not changed.
Can you please send me some IC's so I can change them all.
Are all pins on the ICs occupied, because there is one pin on the board with no contact?
Reply to top
I'll send you a bunch, they shouldn't take to long to arrive. Not all the pins are used so the missing contact could be ok, which IC is missing the trace? Display or controller? Did the results change in the serial monitors?
Reply to top
Hello Rob,
Thanks for the IC's. They arrived yesterday and I changed all IC's. After that everything worked. Serial 1, 2, 3 OK ...
Unfortunately, after 10 minutes nothing more gone, no display, display completely dark. Now I do not know what I should do.
Should I send the boards to you so you can check them or are there other possibilities?     Huh Huh Huh
Reply to top
Hi Roland, at what point did it go dark? Was it sitting lite up and just go dark? Maybe check to make sure the display board is putting out 5v and 3.3v.

With the Arduino plugged in, power up the display board using controller and check the spare 5v and 3.3v pins near the top of the board to see what the voltage is.

If you connect the Arduino to the computer and open the serial monitor does it still say it found SD card etc...?

Did you try reprogramming the Arduino? It's more likely the Arduino or display failed as the display run directly off the Arduino, it only requires power and code to enable the backlight setting on the display as the board has a photocell connected.
Reply to top
Hello Rob,
I have checked everything again.
The arduinos connect to the interface and the scripts can be uploaded, the voltage on the boards is fine.
I have replaced the IC2 on the controller again, then the display shows only the header and "50", nothing else.
The message of the serial monitors can be found in the screenshot
the IC2 on the controllerboard will be very hot after a short operating time ....
K05106 K0505

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Hey Roland, I hope I sent IC's with a mark on it for polarity, only thing I can see heating up the IC would be it's in backwards. You shouldn't feel anything on them. I attached better test sketches to run, upload to display and controller and display will output all results. In the zip file there's a new image that goes on the display SD card in the root directory with all the other images. This is a "run test" button, press it a few times to see if results are always the same.

Attached Files
.zip   Robo-Tank Test Sketches.zip (Size: 19.21 KB / Downloads: 148)
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  display mirrored roland33 7 6,595 04-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Display Problem simonv92 12 9,400 03-04-2019, 09:54 AM
  Display keeps disconnecting Rob Wheatley 7 6,427 12-10-2018, 09:07 PM
  New display board/rules? Skwerl77 1 3,142 07-31-2018, 06:01 PM