Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pump speed based on flow?
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure whether this is already possible...
Pump speed based on flow?

Reply to top
Hi Arne, currently you can't change the speed of anything except for the LED channel that can be switched for DC fans or whatever using the LED sliders. The 4 DC accessory ports can be speed controlled but currently can only be turned on/off using custom rules. I will be adding a bunch of options for those 4 ports. Using the flowmeters you can only turn equipment on/off based on flow volume but will be doing more with them later. Can you give me an example how you would use a pump with a flow meter?
Reply to top
Well Rob, this more an example I'm dealing with overhere.
I have a power filter installed in my sump. This is nothing more than a slitted pvc tube with cotton whool wraped around it to get rid of the small floating dirt.
This pvc tube is connected to the inlet of my return pump, the pump that pumps the water from the sump back into the tank.
So all the water that is being pumped back into the tank passes this power filter. This works great... ;-)

But, at some point, the cotton whool becomes clogged because of the dirt trapped. The flow drops and a loud noise arises bacause my water level drops to much.
What I do than, manually, is closing the return valve which controls the waterflow from the tank into the sump.
This way less water is dropped into the sump and water level rises again and the noise in gone.
Until the cotton whool get more clogged... ;-)

I thought it might be a solution to regulate the return pump in relation to the water flow back into the tank.
Maybe I could increase pump power when the cotton whool gets clogged and this way stabilize the water flow and thus the water level in my tank.

But, maybe there's another way... ;-)

Reply to top
Ah that makes sense, just trying to get an idea. I assume your return pump is DC, if not the speed can't be changed and you would need a motorized ball valve to change flow, but yeah if its DC it can probably be done. What are the specs of the pump, how many amps does it draw?
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disable dosing pump Arne 2 4,175 01-25-2017, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Arne
  Water Flow Sensor ChrisC 1 4,037 01-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Rob F