Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom LED Build - Apex VDM Connection
Hi Rob,

Many years ago I built a DIY LED setup with 2 meanwell drivers connected to the apex vdm module. They have a v1/v2 setup that controls each meanwell driver independently for blue/white controlling. Using my existing hardware it appears that all I need to control this is the pwm module and probably a little rewiring. Please link the documentation for the completing this task. 

Robo Tank PWM Module
Reply to top
Hi Kron, what are you using for your controller? I assume the VDM puts out 0-10v analog as they don't mention PWM on the listing.

The module you linked requires a 0-5v PWM input, then you set the jumpers to 0-10v analog if that's what you need. The module requires 12v to power it up.

If your controller only has 0-3.3v the converter will only put out 6.6v max so you would lose the top end.
Reply to top
Currently looking at controller options and Robo Tank is at the top of my list.

With this module would the required power be provided from the RT controller or supplementale module?
Reply to top
You could connect the lights directly to the equipment extension which is part of the deluxe controller. You would still need the power supply you use to power up the lights but I have a feeling that's built into the drivers. If so you would only connect the signal wire from each driver to their own port and then a common ground. I think it would be the same connected to the Apex VDM module.

What model drivers are you using?
Reply to top
Figured that might be the case I would only need the extension after reviewing the other products.

2 x Mean well ELN-60-48D drivers

These are driving the white and blue leds independtly though I plan on adding an additional one for other colors but could always just add the reds to the white channel.
Reply to top
Those do have the power supply built in so just need to connect the signal from controller to the DIM wire and a DC common ground from the driver to controller. If you go with my controller you can control up to 8 drivers independently and you can connect multiple drivers to the same port on the controller if you ever need more.
Reply to top
(07-26-2023, 05:55 PM)Rob F Wrote: Those do have the power supply built in so just need to connect the signal from controller to the DIM wire and a DC common ground from the driver to controller. If you go with my controller you can control up to 8 drivers independently and you can connect multiple drivers to the same port on the controller if you ever need more.

These drivers have a blue and white coming out for diming on the driver. 

Dim+ and Diim-

Should each of these be inserted to channel 1 and channel 2 on the controller pwm slot 1/2? Still haven't connected anything because I'm not confident in frying this controller. Please advise.
Reply to top
You only want the Dim+ going to the port on the controller. The Dim- will go to ground. You can use the spare grounds next to the PWM ports.
Reply to top
Thanks for the help this far Rob. Still having a funky issue with the LEDs.

Connection
- Dim + (Blue) from driver 1 connected to PMW port 1
- Dim- (White) from driver 1 connected to Ground next to the 8 pwm ports.

Setup
- Added the pwm light and when attempting to manually change the level on Channel 1 or Channel 2 (pin 8 or 9) nothing happens.
- LED Channel 1 & 2 both set to OFF for S1 & S2. 

Troubleshooting
- The LEDs are always on fully though manually checked each and the connection from end to end is good.
- When turning the 2nd set of lights off they flick on at the end (like the driver is clearing it's remaining power).
- Tried flipping the LED Channel to s1 on for a 5v and no change.
Reply to top
If the lights come on full and you can't control the brightness that usually means a common ground is missing. Looking at the datasheet for your driver you should also have a Black - and Red + that you run to the LED's, connect the - Black to the controller ground as well, same as the Dim - White.
Reply to top
Tried that. No power to the LEDs is ever displayed.
Dim+ (Blue)    ---> PWM Channel 1
Dim-  (White)  ---> PMW Ground
V- (Black)        ---> PMW Ground
V+ (Red)          ---> LEDs (15, wired in series. nothing at the end)

Previous Connection (Produced no change in light but they flash when losing power)
Dim+ (Blue)    ---> PWM Channel 1
Dim-  (White)  ---> PMW Ground
V- (Black)        ---> LEDs Negative (return at the end)
V+ (Red)          ---> LEDs Positive (first in series)
Reply to top
Sorry the V- black should still go to LEDs Negative but also to the common ground on the controller.
Reply to top
Completing the series to the black - and still passing it to the ground produces the same issue. Not controllable but a clicker when power is removed. Am I grounding something wrong? Need to draw this out.
Reply to top
If you can draw it out that might help spot something, have you had these working in the past?
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RGB LED Strip jdu98a 2 1,169 09-03-2023, 08:36 PM
Last Post: jdu98a
  LED's SyberSects 3 1,993 07-31-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Water Change Button With LED iancarp 3 3,415 01-02-2023, 08:38 PM
Photo Coralux LED meanwell driver board setup Jeffer 3 3,102 12-14-2021, 01:09 AM