Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple temp probes issue
Hi Rob, 
Trying to add a second temperature probe and getting strange behavior. 
I have had one connected for a while with no issues. 
Trying to add a second, it doesn't come up on the list. 
I have checked the pin connections (made that mistake the first time) and am getting 5v and 3.3v across the voltage and data pins. 
But- when I plug the new probe into the temp1 pins (current workin probe), it comes up but the other probe doesn't appear when plugged into the temp2 (or temp3) pins.
So I am 97% sure it is not a hardware issue (i.e. bad probe or connector). I can use these two probes separately when they are plugged into temp1 pins.

Running ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/ I can see the new probe pop up but can't use it... what am I missing here?

Reply to top
Hi Kurby-reef, what controller do you have? I think v3 as I see two 1wire buses setup but you mention temp3 pins which v3 doesn't have so maybe v1?

Somethings up with those 00- addresses, they shouldn't be there. I'm wondering if it's a configuration issue in the Pi config.txt file. Here's a link showing how to setup temp2 port on v3, verify you have these two lines in the config.txt file if you have that controller.

dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=4
dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=22

https://docs.google.com/document/d/157ep...=h.4i7ojhp
Reply to top
Just looked at your other thread and see you have v1 or v2, probably v2 as you have two 1 wire buses setup. For v2 you should have the following two lines in the /boot/config.txt file. The 2nd line should be pin 14. If it's not and you change it you have to reboot the Pi to have it update. v2 temp 1 is it's own, temp 2 and temp 3 share GPIO 14 which explains why neither of those work. Hopefully it's just the pin number wrong.

dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=4
dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=14
Reply to top
I had dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=22 on the second line, changed it to 14 but still no luck.

Pic of my robotank below, if it changes the troubleshooting. 

Where can I find all the necessary changes to config.txt to make sure I didn't screw anything else up?

Figured it out.

dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=22 
dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=23 

So needs to be pin 23, not 22 (or 14). Found in this manual:

So for future reference: what version of RoboTank do I have? v2?

Also- should I worry about those 00-addresses? So far everything I have tried to add (besides a 2nd temp probe) has worked fine. But I am planning on adding more soon so if I can avoid a headache that would be nice  Wink

As always thanks for help with this stuff.
Reply to top
Great, sorry about that. You do have v2, I just checked my schematic again and I have the connector label GPIO 14 but looking at the Pi pinout I see it's GPIO 23, guess I was going to use 14 and didn't change the label.

I had thought the 00- addresses would disappear, if you unplug all sensors are they still showing? I'll have to do a search on what that means but if they are working it should be ok.
Reply to top
Unplugging all the sensors I end up with:

Now having issue getting a third probe on, but haven't determined it isn't a hardware issue yet.
Reply to top
That looks good, testing one at a time, do both sensors bring the 00- back? If the 3rd doesn't work on it's own it would point to sensor as the ports seem to be ok now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • kurby-reef
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple heaters adammac1 2 2,711 06-26-2022, 01:23 PM
Last Post: fietsenrex
  High Temp 185 Degrees =) Brooks 1 1,960 06-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Adding a 2nd temp sensor JFReyes 5 3,903 11-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Rob F