Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dosing pump guide
Any guides/recommendations for a budget dosing pump to control from the robotank?
Reply to top
You can connect these dosing pumps directly to the DC ports and you're able to slow them down a little if they run too fast via reef-pi settings.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamoer-Peristalti...s_li_ss_tl
Reply to top
(02-04-2023, 04:01 PM)Rob F Wrote: You can connect these dosing pumps directly to the DC ports and you're able to slow them down a little if they run too fast via reef-pi settings.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamoer-Peristalti...s_li_ss_tl

To clarify, you mean from the equipment extension yes? (since the dc port on main ctrlr only do 5v)

Is there a way to 'hack' up a doser w just the controller? Perhaps gang 3 output pins together for 15v? What is the current limit on those pins?

I know the Pi USB's are controllable which supports 1.2A, though only a 5v pump would have to be used.

Thanks.
Reply to top
Yeah I was referring to the equipment extension. You can't connect them how your thinking, they require a circuit to handle the load of the pump. What you're referring to for 5v is a just a DC power source to power up sensors, DC ports are different as they are controllable not just a steady power source.

With that said it is possible to connect a single dosing pump to the feeder port, technically this is a low power DC port and can handle about 500mA without issue. The problem though is getting 12v power source as there isn't an easy accessible 12v pin to connect to, you would have to hack into a DB9 or run a wire connected internally to the main controller board. Another option is you could use an external 12v DC power supply.

Here's how you would do this.

Connect the ground wire from the dosing pump to the center pin marked "signal" on the feeder port. Then you connect the 12v positive wire from the dosing pump to a 12v source internally.

If you prefer to use an additional 12v DC power supply you would connect the 12v positive wire from the dosing pump to the 12v positive wire on the DC power supply and the ground wire from the DC power supply would go to the feeder "ground" pin.

Then in reef-pi you configure the feeder port to be a "Jack" connector at which point you'll be able to add it to the "doser" tab. Like this you can still adjust the speed.

If you need more info or a diagram showing where you can get 12v internally let me know.
Reply to top
(07-06-2023, 11:32 PM)Rob F Wrote: Yeah I was referring to the equipment extension. You can't connect them how your thinking, they require a circuit to handle the load of the pump. What you're referring to for 5v is a just a DC power source to power up sensors, DC ports are different as they are controllable not just a steady power source.

With that said it is possible to connect a single dosing pump to the feeder port, technically this is a low power DC port and can handle about 500mA without issue. The problem though is getting 12v power source as there isn't an easy accessible 12v pin to connect to, you would have to hack into a DB9 or run a wire connected internally to the main controller board. Another option is you could use an external 12v DC power supply.

Here's how you would do this.

Connect the ground wire from the dosing pump to the center pin marked "signal" on the feeder port. Then you connect the 12v positive wire from the dosing pump to a 12v source internally.

If you prefer to use an additional 12v DC power supply you would connect the 12v positive wire from the dosing pump to the 12v positive wire on the DC power supply and the ground wire from the DC power supply would go to the feeder "ground" pin.

Then in reef-pi you configure the feeder port to be a "Jack" connector at which point you'll be able to add it to the "doser" tab. Like this you can still adjust the speed.

If you need more info or a diagram showing where you can get 12v internally let me know.

Thanks Rob, you're always on top of the assists.
RE "hack into a DB9 [for 12v]" :  From the manual, "Each pin is connected directly to a GPIO pin on the Raspberry Pi"[which are 3.3v or 5v], so Im assuming there is some internal jumpering even in that case?
Yes, pls info and diagram for getting 12v from the main board.
I actually purchased this 6v peristaltic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Y2XTFW?psc...ct_details  I'm hoping 5v may work. In that case, which 5v pin do you recommend? temp, I2C, ethernet, db9? Doser ground wire still goes to feeder 'signal' ?
Reply to top
No problem and 5v should be enough for the 6v pump. You can use any of the +5v pins you mentioned, temp port would probably be easiest. If you have a temp sensor plugged in you can still use it.

For 12v if you open the lid look directly behind the DB9 2 port and you'll see 3 headers, the header pin closest to the DB9 1 port is +12v. The opposite end is +5v and the center pin goes to the DB9 housing so you can set the jumper for +12v or +5v. In your case it's probably easiest to just use the pin.
Reply to top
Setup jumper for 5v and using db9 as directed, working fine.

Additional question mostly for curiosity if you have time: A NPN would be the best choice for power switching here, but since the signal is 3.3v and main power is 5v, would a PNP also work? (3.3 wired to base, and 5v to emitter-- there is still a -1.7 from emitter to base). Would this damage anything?

Thanks as always
Reply to top
(07-25-2023, 05:19 AM)roninisc Wrote: Setup jumper for 5v and using db9 as directed, working fine.

Additional question mostly for curiosity if you have time: A NPN would be the best choice for power switching here, but since the signal is 3.3v and main power is 5v, would a PNP also work? (3.3 wired to base, and 5v to emitter-- there is still a -1.7 from emitter to base). Would this damage anything?

Thanks as always

What is the lowest flow rate you were able to achieve with this setup?
Reply to top
Glad you got it working. I don't have much experience with PNP and would want to test before advising, I'm guessing you don't have an NPN on hand?
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dosing pump with stepper motor mytdbm 1 420 12-29-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  dosing pumps problems loksik.lubos 10 1,991 09-24-2023, 03:05 PM
  Controllable Pump (Not Dosing) BlakeD 1 1,117 04-22-2023, 11:34 PM
  Jebao Pump Control zfreak_1125 1 2,436 02-18-2022, 05:03 PM