Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to connect a float switch to sensor board
I've got the deluxe kit and need to run a couple of float switches for ATO purposes.  I'm using a DC motor for a peristaltic pump (Kamoer pump), so can't use the AC float on the controller.  The docs show how to connect a DS18B20 temp probe, but not a float switch.  Do I connect +5 and ground and ignore the data pin or do I run +5 and data, or data and ground?
Reply to top
Hi, sorry that wasn't in there, I just added that to the user manual, here's the link.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F95a...lvlouvq7ae

You can still use the DC backup port for an extra float switch, that'll turn off the DC port no matter what the Pi says. That's what the AC float port does but for an AC outlet.
Reply to top
(10-17-2022, 09:03 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi, sorry that wasn't in there, I just added that to the user manual, here's the link.

You can still use the DC backup port for an extra float switch, that'll turn off the DC port no matter what the Pi says. That's what the AC float port does but for an AC outlet.

Hey Rob, thanks for the update.  I just found the backup port.  I want to connect both so I have a backup in case of failure.  

Cheers!
Mike

(10-17-2022, 09:03 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi, sorry that wasn't in there, I just added that to the user manual, here's the link.

Hmm, the pump won't turn on when hooked up through the ATO (even after a reboot).  Do I need to edit /boot/config.txt for this like I did for the temp probe?

It's almost like the sensor port isn't working
Reply to top
There's nothing to edit, should work after setting up. Are you able to verify the DC port is turning on/off by switching it manually from the equipment tab? Can you post a picture of the ATO settings?
Reply to top
(10-18-2022, 08:17 PM)Rob F Wrote: There's nothing to edit, should work after setting up. Are you able to verify the DC port is turning on/off by switching it manually from the equipment tab? Can you post a picture of the ATO settings?

I've attached a screen grab of the settings for ATO.  I can run the ATO pump (DC 1) manually just fine, and the float switch for the emergency kill (DC Backup 1 or something like that) seems to work just fine.  It just isn't reading the float switch.  I did test both floats with an ohm meter to make sure there were no shorts.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Thanks, I think it could be the "check frequency" option. Change that to 1 second. During testing 60 seconds is difficult because it will only read that sensor once every 60 seconds. If it's not it the proper position it won't work.

If that doesn't work try the following in reef-pi, maybe I mixed up the wiring.
  • Go to the "configuration" tab and then the "connectors" sub tab.
  • Under "inlets" section you should see the different sensor ports. Edit the port you are using and tick the "reverse" option and save.
  • Then go to the "admin" sub tab and press the "reload" button.
One of these should get it working.
Reply to top
(10-18-2022, 11:26 PM)Rob F Wrote: Thanks, I think it could be the "check frequency" option. Change that to 1 second. During testing 60 seconds is difficult because it will only read that sensor once every 60 seconds. If it's not it the proper position it won't work.

If that doesn't work try the following in reef-pi, maybe I mixed up the wiring.
  • Go to the "configuration" tab and then the "connectors" sub tab.
  • Under "inlets" section you should see the different sensor ports. Edit the port you are using and tick the "reverse" option and save.
  • Then go to the "admin" sub tab and press the "reload" button.
One of these should get it working.

The reverse option took care of it and it's now doing ATO :)

Thanks!
Reply to top
Good to hear, I mixed up the wiring. If you put the float switch on Ground and Data and move the PD jumper to PU it would work without ticking reverse. Either works though.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  board loksik.lubos 1 201 02-02-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  PI issues/Controller Board Status LED's eheldreth 1 678 05-08-2023, 02:13 PM
  ORP board gandalf 1 1,472 02-04-2022, 07:55 PM
  Is the deluxe board Rev A - latest? Dukereef 3 4,670 07-26-2020, 12:01 AM