Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reef-Pi or Robo-Tank 6.x
Looking for an honest opinion from someone who has used both Pi programs and which they think is better and why. I know Robo-Tank 6.x is a beta/in development program so of course there going to be some occasional issues. I have been using Reef-Pi and considering how long it’s been out I have found it to be very buggy, reminds my of MS Windows 95 and up with the blue screen of death. I’m not putting Reef-Pi down I know it’s free. Just wondering if I should try Robo-Tank 6.x or wait till it fully released.
Reply to top
I won't answer this but if you have an extra SD card for the Pi you could install it and if you don't like you can easily switch back to reef-pi. I know there's a few running full time and I'm happy with how it's doing but with that said you should go slow with it and verify it's does what's expected along the way.
Reply to top
I do have an extra sd card an a extra Pi 4 that I use and test out different 3d printer software and settings with Octoprint and tinker with. I was going to use it and tinker with the Reefpi software but Reef-
Pi is written in Go and I don’t know anyone or thing about a Go.  Robo-Tank 6.x is written in c++? .I asked here because this is the only place that I know some people are using your program and was trying to get a feel for it. On a different subject with Robo-Tank controller and sensor module. If I want to have a button or switch as an input to the sensor module would it recognize and ground side switch or a 5v power side switch with the jump on the pull-up or pull down side. I forget which is which and I just wire a switch with a resistor on a NodeMCU.
Reply to top
Yeah it's c++ for the backend, front end is just a typical website with javascript. You can connect a switch to a sensor port, one wire goes to signal pin and the other wire to ground, then set the jumper to pull-up resistor.
Reply to top
? thank you
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wolfw28's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
I know things can come across wrong in forums so not my intent.. 6.0 works well for off the shelf.. Reef-pi gives you access to the API so if you want any customization you need to stick with reef-pi as you can not run them side by side. as far as I know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Coloredrock's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
I agree with Coloredrock, reef-pi having the API basically takes away all limits and having those drivers to read text files are also very handy. One day I hope to get organized enough that I could add an API but that's a little ways off.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two issues: Failed to init I2C & Reef-pi.service not Binding BlakeD 6 2,455 05-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Getting updated reef-pi code from JFReyes JFReyes 76 47,617 10-21-2022, 07:22 PM
  reef-pi with v2 controller gandalf 1 1,504 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM
  problem reef pi web loksik.lubos 3 3,381 03-07-2021, 06:16 PM
Last Post: JFReyes