Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing Myself
Hi all, my name is Iain, I'm 62, and started keeping aquariums when I was 11, with 2 small tanks in my bedroom. Soon after, my parents moved me to a larger room, with a purpose built-in bench, cupboard and shelving to hold a 120cm (4') x 45cm (18") x 60cm (2') tank and a quarantine tank. Didn't take long to automate it with a custom built multi-timer to control lights, air pump and a second power filter.

The number of tanks fluctuated over the years, along with my success. I saw the early introduction of CO2 in planted tanks (by Dupla), and at 22 switched to marines. 

Didn't pick the best time to do it, I was single and an officer in the RAAF at the time, but it had a side benefit, the on base accomodation was updraded to a 2 room suite, so the tank didn't disturb anyone. I designed and built the filtration, and the airforce engineers designed a light weight, super strong stand for it. (seriously you could have parked a truck on it, yet 2 people could quite easily pick it up). Another benefit that soon emerged; when I was posted to another base, the airforce moved the tank and all the equipment for me .. bonus!

I successfully had marines for over 9 years, raising an tiny finger width albino moray eel into a 100cm (over 3') adult, that ate from my fingers and would swim through my hands, and no one can tell me fish don't know who you are. When I came into the room, he would swim out to meet me, something he didn't do for anyone else, including, the now ex-wife .. K05163

When I left the airforce, as a result of one move after another, to get a meaningful job, the tank went into storage, and eventually, the self same ex-wife, convinced me I was never going to use it again, and to sell it (now you know why she's the ex ...)

A few years ago I started to see articles about Takashi Amano, and the "Art of Aquascaping" and I was captivated. Then in late 2014 I was made redundant, and diagnosed with throat cancer (never smoked - caused by the HPV virus), all within a month. Subsequesnt surgery, chemo and radiation, then more surgery, was a challenge in every way, and after reading an article about how mentally theraputic putting togehter and looking after an aquascape was, I designed an ADA style stand and had a local company build it, ordered an ADA 60H (60cm x 45cm x 45cm) and all the ancilliary equipment and started reading and learning everything I could and out of it came my current high-tech aquascape tank.

I credit it with keeping me sane, and most importantly staying relaxed and focused, post treatment, whilst in what is a long recovery period. I am in full remission, and if I stay this way for another 3 1/2 years, then I am classed as 'cured'. 

Well, enough of that. 

One tank didn't last long, and being short on space, I set up a small 30x30x30 Nano low-tech planted shrimp tank, just to prove to myself I could still grow lush plants without all the hardware.

Not having any more easily avaiable space, my attention turned to my interest (and profession) in computers & how I could automate the mundane daily and weekly tasks, in maintaining a planted tank.

After much research, I arrived here, and have just taken delivery of the first part of my new Robo-Tank system, which I will be setting up to manage both my tanks (I hope ...), and still lots of learning on the programming side, and trying to make sense of the wondefully documented code .. hint hint Rob .. Wink

Give me a few days and I will post some pictures and specifications of my tanks, and how I maintain them.

Oh, and in case your wondering, my username, Nerowolfe, comes from a fictional arm-chair detective, created in 1934 by American mystery writer, Rex Stout, and had a short run as a tv series in 2001 to 2002, 27 episodes in all.

Good health, joy and harmony be a part of your lives.   K05108

Iain ...
Reply to top
Hi Iain, nice to see you found your way here. :) Sounds like you should have no problems with your tank, nothing like learning young. I just got in the hobby a few years ago, getting harder to learn new tricks. Looking forward to seeing/hearing more details about your setup, all I know is you did well with the plants by what I've seen. :) 

Yes, next update will have comments so it'll be a little easier to get around. ;)
Reply to top