Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange behaviour Slider Channel 1
Sorry to mix up the threads, one of those days.

I know I'm lacking some clear instructions on setting up, usually I mount the arduinos so everythings setup and ready to go.

When I setup them up I mount the arduinos and connect the hub and display, then I wait 30-60 seconds for everything to connect. Then I do the "restore default" settings. Then I check voltages on all the 16 outputs, test the dosing pumps and temp sensors. I also load up the internet to make sure everything is working there. When I do it in this order I never need to touch the sliders as you described to get an output on the LED channels.

I think this is why it happened. After you mounted the arduinos and powered it up the display looked good so you started testing. Things appeared ok because the display board and expansion hub have an on board eeprom so those were setup. The main controller uses the eeprom on the mega 2560 which had no settings as I don't open them if customers don't request programming. So when you went into the light settings it looked ok but the mega had no idea what it should be as its eeprom was blank. If I was clear and you knew to restore defaults before anything you wouldn't have experience this. I think you've done the "restore defaults" now, if not be sure to do that. If you've made a bunch of changes instead of restore defaults you can use the "sync" which will update the controller to match what in the display. Sorry I wasn't as clear for you to setup.
Reply to top
You don't have to be sorry for anything Rob !

I can understand that you've got it all in your head. It's not always easy to explain others...
That's why it's not easy to test your own software too... ;-)

What you're saying makes sence to me Rob.
If you want me to, I'm more than happy to test this and come back with an answer.
But, this might be the reason... ;-)

After that, everything works well. No lost settings (after the August Channel 1 edit... ;-))
Just kidding !
Reply to top
Glad everything is good. I'm going to add an option that checks if the eeprom is blank, if so it'll prompt to run defaults or sync if it can, then this shouldn't happen again.
Reply to top
If I remember correctly all sliders are at 50% at default first start-up
but no lights are running..
so I played some with the sliders and upon release it would set that value to the lights, afterwards I could use the sliders as intended and dim the lights accordingly.
so maybe a routine that sets all PWM to about 50% at default would be nice, but as a former avionics technician, just pushing buttons until it works worked fine for me ;)
Reply to top
Rob,

I'm not sure I would put my time and energy in this minor issue.
You already have some things on your plate I believe... ;-)

Now we know what it is and where it came from, just mention it in the setup instructions.
This problem won't popup after proper setup and everything works just fine.
Reply to top
Its not much to put in a check, it'll be useful if someone changes an Arduino.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Channel LED setting color profile for day and night simulation notorious.jatt 2 2,888 07-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Last Post: loksik.lubos
  Light output lower end Slider, Gen1 vs Gen2 Arne 10 9,874 12-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  "Strange" light mode... Arne 1 3,258 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Rob F