Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setup Wizard
It would be nice to create a first time wizard that takes the user into 4 to 8 steps
1- tank type (fresh, saltwater)
2- metric or imperial
ask the user if they are using certain things like chiller, dosing....

based on this that system hides useless features to keep the software clean.
just a though....
Reply to top
This is something I would like to do, there's a few other things I want to finish first. Trying to do it so I don't have to re-do the code over and over. :) I like the idea of hiding features if not used.
Reply to top
That's a great idea. Options for first time start up... Express Set Up for those who want to step through the wizard, Advanced Set up for those who want to tweak the setting themselves and NOT hide any features!
Reply to top
yeah, skipping the wizard is a great idea for those who wants it all or can't wait to see the goodies.
also this feature will help as the software grows and features become a liability on the system. of course the user can always go back to the settings and enable/disable features/apps or what ever will be called.
Reply to top
I just don't touch anything I don't use or don't know :P works best for me.
but a setup wizard would be nice in which you can just tick boxes:
-salt or fresh
-what kind op equipment
-how many lighting channels
-ATO
-autofeed
and just hide/disable the things you don't intend to use

you can just leave them there but grey them out a bit or print a layer over the icon saying N/A
Reply to top
One of the reasons I haven't done anything like this is I have a limit on resources on the Arduino Due. It's almost full so I want to make sure I get the important stuff done first. I'm always optimizing the code and still some to go but unfortunately there's still a limit. I'm almost done with this update and it's taking a lot of extra code because a lot of buttons with the option of holding or momentary presses. There's now 565 images and over 75 different screens.
Reply to top