Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting Up The EZO Atlas-Scientific Stamps For Robo-Tank
Thought I would take a jump on this question, I'm sure it will be asked often. Hopefully this clears everything up, any questions feel free to post.

Unfortunately the EZO Atlas-Scientific stamps aren't plug and play, as much as I want them to be there's nothing I can do about it.

New stamps are set in UART mode as a default, you need to put the stamp in I2C mode. The reason we want I2C is it allows better control on the data because each stamp is called using an address. 

pH Stamp
Follow these steps to switch from UART mode to I2C mode. If the light on your stamp is Blue then you are already in I2C mode.
  1. Upload the code from the following page to an Arduino Mega 2560, do this before connecting your stamp.  https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/...e-Code.pdf 
  2. After uploading the code connect your stamp as shown in the diagram in the above link.
  3. Power up the Arduino Mega 2560 and open the "serial monitor"
  4. You should see a pH reading being displayed every second
  5. At the top type in "I2C,99" without the quotes and click send or press enter
  6. The small light on your stamp should have turned blue and the pH readings stop showing up.
If you get to step 6 you have successfully put the pH stamp in I2C mode. It's now safe to connect it to Robo-Tank using the diagram in the following link.
https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/code/ph-i2c.pdf

ORP Stamp
Follow these steps to switch from UART mode to I2C mode. If the light on your stamp is Blue then you are already in I2C mode.
  1. Upload the code from the following page to an Arduino Mega 2560, do this before connecting your stamp. https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/...e-Code.pdf 
  2. After uploading the code connect your stamp as shown in the diagram in the above link.
  4. You should see a ORP reading being displayed every second
  5. At the top type in "I2C,98" without the quotes and click send or press enter
  6. The small light on your stamp should have turned blue and the ORP readings stop showing up.
If you get to step 6 you have successfully put the ORP stamp in I2C mode. It's now safe to connect it to Robo-Tank using the diagram in the following link.
https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/...rp-i2c.pdf

Dissolved Oxygen Stamp
Follow these steps to switch from UART mode to I2C mode. If the light on your stamp is Blue then you are already in I2C mode.
  1. Upload the code from the following page to an Arduino Mega 2560, do this before connecting your stamp. https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/...e-Code.pdf
  4. You should see a DO reading being displayed every second
  5. At the top type in "I2C,97" without the quotes and click send or press enter
  6. The small light on your stamp should have turned blue and the DO readings stop showing up.
If you get to step 6 you have successfully put the dissolved oxygen stamp in I2C mode. It's now safe to connect it to Robo-Tank using the diagram in the following link.
https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/code/do-i2c.pdf

Conductivity Stamp
  4. You should see a EC reading being displayed every second
  5. At the top type in "I2C,100" without the quotes and click send or press enter
  6. The small light on your stamp should have turned blue and the EC readings stop showing up.
If you get to step 6 you have successfully put the EC stamp in I2C mode. It's now safe to connect it to Robo-Tank using the diagram in the following link.
https://www.atlas-scientific.com/_files/code/ec-i2c.pdf

If you have the Robo-Tank PCB's you will find the SCL/SDA pins on the connector board you can connect to. Each stamp gets connected to these pins. SCL to SCL and SDA to SDA. The pin headers marked "Atlas Scientific Stamps" isn't used. You can use 5v from the board to power it.

You can run a cable of 6ft with no problems from the controller to the stamp, and possibly between 9-12ft.
Reply to top
I am currently working on getting an atlas PH probe installed on my Robo-Tank, I have successfully changed the stamp to run in I2C mode thanks to Rob's detailed instructions above. The stamp came with a small board to install it and the BNC connector on.

The board has provisions for installing 2 "optional" 2 4.7k pull up resistors if needed. My question is should I install them or not. The circuit in testing seems to work fine without them. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply to top
Hi Chris, I have the same board and stamp, I added the resistors but not sure if it was necessary. For now you can only connect to the power bar, I'll be adding the code soon to the expansion hub so it can be used on either of them. When you connect to the power bar you want 5v going into the board, when it's connected to the expansion hub USB jack it uses 3.3v just so you know.

So to connect it use the spare 5v and GND headers for power and the 2 pin header on the connector board marked SCL/SDA to the respected pins on the Atlas board. That's all you should need to do.

If you want to put the Atlas board in a small project box you can use the spare RJ45 on the connector board. There's a 8 pin header on the connector board which you can use jumpers to connect to the pins for the Atlas stamp so you can plug in board.
Reply to top
Thanks Rob that will help, I was planning on going through the expansion hub. I also have the conductivity probe I would like to connect. Do I hook it up serial or parallel on the SCL/SDA lines or does it matter?
Reply to top
You can connect both circuits to the same SCL/SDA pins, always keep SCL to SCL and SDA to SDA.
Reply to top
Do you have to reboot the system to get it to start reading the probes? I have the blue light on my pH stamp, but I don't get readings and it wont' let me calibrate.

--Update--
Got it to read, problem is the calibrate still doesn't work. Is there something special I have to do for that?
Reply to top
(07-16-2017, 12:26 PM)wedge Wrote: Do you have to reboot the system to get it to start reading the probes?  I have the blue light on my pH stamp, but I don't get readings and it wont' let me calibrate.

--Update--
Got it to read, problem is the calibrate still doesn't work.  Is there something special I have to do for that?

Yes, reboot is a good idea after you,  go under hardware and then atlas and then tick them on PH/Redox/Con so that they are activated calibration, you should do so yourself when you setup your stamp, the robo tank is not completely ready to do the Calibration
Reply to top
Hi Wedge, as Martin mentioned calibration hasn't been added yet so you'll have to load the sketch from Atlas to do that. You can load the sketch on the controller and use it.
Reply to top
I'm surprised calibration wasn't in the release code since its fairly easy to implement and crucial for any working probe.
Reply to top
I wanted it in there by now but always getting side tracked with something, it'll be added soon.
Reply to top
Hi.
i got problem with my stamp. dont takes any reading . was setup to I2C mode (with blue led) .
any solution for that?
Reply to top
Hi Marcin, its possible the board you have the SCL and SDA pin on external port are backwards, I had one set of boards like that. If you can see a Rev version on that board I can verify. Does the blue light on circuit blink every few seconds?
Reply to top
(11-05-2017, 12:15 AM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Marcin, its possible the board you have the SCL and SDA pin on external port are backwards, I had one set of boards like that. If you can see a Rev version on that board I can verify. Does the blue light on circuit blink every few seconds?

Thanks Rob for quick reply.
my board its REV.A
i spend yesterday all day to find what its wrong and in the end i was try last chance and i connected ph stamp to internal pins on controller board and start work . i got readings but why its dont work on port 14 dedicated for atlas circuit ? another quick question after update to 4.0 rtc clock have to be move on controller board . can i connect to same pins wich ph stamp its connected?
Reply to top
The pins you're using internally for the ph circuit can also be used for the RTC, there should be two sets of pins available. On port 14 flip the SCL and SDA wire, I had them reversed on that board, the power and GND is ok, just swap the SCL/SDA wires and it should work.
Reply to top
(11-05-2017, 01:17 PM)Rob F Wrote: The pins you're using internally for the ph circuit can also be used for the RTC, there should be two sets of pins available. On port 14 flip the SCL and SDA wire, I had them reversed on that board, the power and GND is ok, just swap the SCL/SDA wires and it should work.

THANKS ROB. SOLVED K05108
Reply to top
Wonderful  K05164
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atlas Scientific Multi Circuit I2C Carrier Board ChrisC 31 34,051 09-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Last Post: fietsenrex