Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create a dedicated hardware button
It seems like I should be able to add a simple physical button/switch and then program it so that when pressed a macro is run then when pressed again it is reverted.  I would love to be able to just press a button to run a water change command instead of logging in and running it via the reef-pi gui.  Obviously it isn't a necessity but it would be cool and fun to run things with the push of a button.

Thanks!
Reply to top
Unfortunately that can't be done with a momentary switch, maybe in a few months that option will be available.
Reply to top
Thanks! Just to clarify since you specified momentary, can it be done with a 2 way toggle switch? Or for anyone who wanted to get fancy a 3 way toggle with different modes like feeder or water change?

I can imagine mounting a covered arm/disarm switch somewhere.
Reply to top
You can use toggle switches but I don't think it will do as you want, you can think of it like like a float switch. If you wanted to run a feeder you would flick switch but then need to flick back or it will always run.

With that said there is a new one time run feature for ATO when using a macro, maybe that will only allow the macro to run once so the switch can be left in the feed state.

If you have a switch to play you would connect one side to +5v and the other side of switch to a data pin on sensor port. Set one jumper for the port to "P-D", the other isn't needed and then you can use it in the ATO module. When the switch is letting +5v pass through reef-pi will see it as a HIGH state, without +5v running through it would be a LOW state.
Reply to top
Hmm, this is a feature I would consider adding in my future changes to the reef-pi code. While I do water changes and top-offs manually (I have a small tank and take the opportunity to examine and clean the equipment at that time), on a daily basis I run a macro to turn off and another macro to turn on various equipments during feeding. I don't have a problem with that but my girlfriend does, and she's the one that usually feeds the fish. A simple button that would take care of that would be a good solution. I'll think about it.

Cheers,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 3 users Like JFReyes's post:
  • kingdavidbaker, Rob F, zee_zout
Reply to top
(06-15-2021, 04:12 PM)JFReyes Wrote: Hmm, this is a feature I would consider adding in my future changes to the reef-pi code. While I do water changes and top-offs manually (I have a small tank and take the opportunity to examine and clean the equipment at that time), on a daily basis I run a macro to turn off and another macro to turn on various equipments during feeding. I don't have a problem with that but my girlfriend does, and she's the one that usually feeds the fish. A simple button that would take care of that would be a good solution. I'll think about it.

Cheers,

That would be cool and I know many would make use of it.
Reply to top
I would use it to turn off main pumps and other water moving pumps to feed my fish my fish tank is 16x22 feet currently :) and out doors
[-] The following 1 user Likes rott's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
I would love this! I have multiple button switches wired up to use but as is they are useless. I tried using the ato function to run a macro when a switch was pushed but Reef-pi freezes on any macro with more than 1 step.
[-] The following 1 user Likes albinochicken89's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top