Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temp probes gone

Hello,

Everything has been working great for the past 2-3 weeks since I received the robo-tank until today.  It stopped recognizing the temp probes and has errors in the log.  I tried restarting the controller and also reloading the database from a back up and still the same errors. Here are the errors.  Any ideas??

4/1/2021, 5:33:38 PM
UI
ERROR
{"error":"stats for id: '3' not found"} | HTTP 404
4/1/2021, 5:33:28 PM
UI
ERROR
4/1/2021, 5:33:18 PM
UI
ERROR
4/1/2021, 5:33:13 PM
UI
ERROR
{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-3c01d0757bf2/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404
4/1/2021, 5:33:13 PM
UI
ERROR
{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-00000cdb0ed6/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404
4/1/2021, 5:32:46 PM
UI
ERROR
Reply to top
Hi John, sorry to hear this. The "stats for id" error is because the sensor can't be found and the other error is stating the same but showing the sensor ID so we can see you have two connected.

The 3 temp ports are all connected to one point, if one sensor goes bad it's possible to hang the 1-wire bus causing other sensors to fail. Did you try one or the other sensor by itself?

In reef-pi it can take up to 30 seconds before the sensor drop down box updates with the sensors seen.

A better method of checking is using the Raspberry Pi terminal window.

Type in the following command

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices/

Now type in

ls

If you get an error something is wrong with the bus, if you get no error and it only shows "w1_bus_master1" then the bus is ok. Ideally you want to see the "w1_bus_master1" along with the sensor ID's "28-3c01d0757bf2" or "28-00000cdb0ed6".

Try each sensor on it's own, run the 2nd command again to see if the sensor ID shows up.
Reply to top
Looks like 1 of the probes went bad. Working again with the 1 good probe.

Thanks for the help!
John
Reply to top
Good to hear. Unfortunately some of those sensors aren't properly sealed and moisture can find it's way it, that's likely what happened.
Reply to top
(04-01-2021, 05:09 PM)Rob F Wrote: Good to hear. Unfortunately some of those sensors aren't properly sealed and moisture can find it's way it, that's likely what happened.
  I am having a similar issue,  long story long- I had to replace the sd card in my PI I updated to the newest version of Ree-PI.   I am getting similar errors with nothing connected and when I connect the temp sensor it does not show up.  when I look for the sys file for the probe the location is not there.?   not sure where to look next. P.S. Thanks for the quick shipping of my new robo tank. how can I try out the software?

(09-09-2021, 10:52 AM)coaxman Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 05:09 PM)Rob F Wrote: Good to hear. Unfortunately some of those sensors aren't properly sealed and moisture can find it's way it, that's likely what happened.
  I am having a similar issue,  long story long- I had to replace the sd card in my PI I updated to the newest version of Ree-PI.   I am getting similar errors with nothing connected and when I connect the temp sensor it does not show up.  when I look for the sys file for the probe the location is not there.?   not sure where to look next.  P.S.  Thanks for the quick shipping of my new robo tank.  how can I try out the software?

Of course, I found the problem just after I sent the last message. :  Still would like to try out your software.
Reply to top
Good to hear. I do have an update on software coming tonight, by now it really can't be much longer.
Reply to top
Hi Jeff,

This problem for me came up again. I figured the temp probe failed and ordered a couple new ones. But it will not recognize the new ones. The only thing in the devices dir is w1_bus_master1. I tried Robo-Tank software on it as well in case it was a reef-pi error it it will not recognized them either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
John
Reply to top
Hi John, sorry to hear that. I wonder if it's a connector issue. If you have a volt meter can you check the voltage on the port. Leave the sensor plugged in and on the connector screw terminals see if you get 5v when you measure the 5v and ground pin. Then check the signal and ground pin, there you should see 3.3v. If one of these voltages aren't present unplug the sensor and check the pins in the socket directly.
Reply to top
Hi Rob, 5V is correct. The data pins is 1.3V with the probe connected and disconnected.

Looks like the port on the pi went bad. I swapped the pi with an extra and the probes all appeared. Just have to order the same model so it fits in the case now. Thanks for your help Rob!
Reply to top
Hi John, glad you found the issue, a little surprised as I haven't heard of a Pi pin going bad, seems strange that it still put out 1.3v.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temp Sensor Custom Rule Issue Andrew 19 6,361 01-23-2023, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Andrew
  Temp heater issues Weilerda 3 1,776 01-17-2022, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Rob F
  Temp sensor Brooks 1 1,429 07-12-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Select Temp probe blank ksmax 2 1,965 02-08-2021, 07:27 AM
Last Post: ksmax