Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reef-Pi 4.0
I see that Ranjib has released a new version of reef-pi.  Version 4.0

The below copied from the R2R thread.  The normal precautions of trying the latest software apply - use at your own risk :-

Hive minds,
I have just cut 4.0 release. It is not a big bang release like 2.0 or 3.0, because since 3.0 we have shipped quiet a few big feature incrementally (macro, ads115 driver, one shot controller, alert in macros and more), but 4.0 does bring a few awesome long awaited feature asks, namely
- Ability to download the current database (for backup) and import an existing database from UI
- Ability to install/upgrade reef-pi versions from UI
- MQTT based metric emission
- Light api will return current values of individual channels
- Doser can be direcly controlled via macro now (i.e. macro on will turn on doser and macro off will turn off doser)
- Bug fixes for adafruit.io
- Bug fix for ph hysteresis
- Bug fix for under voltage detection code
and a whole lot of tech chores (CI, tests, dep upgrades etc)

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/4.0

This major release is backward compatible schema wise, i.e, you will not loose any data and should be able to upgrade seamlessly. There are few changes from existing behavior though, the light api (return current channel values), doser api (direct on/off using macro instead of enable/disable) that are only possible through major version.

I'll make a dedicated post first thing tomorrow morning, thank you so much everyone involved in testing, bug filing, development and all around community support. You all are at the heart of this project and deserve a much bigger shout out in the main announcement post.
hugs
ranjib
Reply to top
Cool stuff, thanks for letting us know.
Reply to top
I've upgraded to 4.0 which went all fine with no hiccups.

The "Download current Database" option under the Admin Tab seems to work well. What I like is that it downloads to your current device, so if I'm browsing reef-pi on my laptop, I immediately get the file in my downloads folder on my laptop, which I find quite convenient. Some sort of choice of where you save it might be nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

A bit early to test the update feature :)
Reply to top
Excellent news, thanks for the heads-up!
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
(11-25-2020, 06:42 AM)JFReyes Wrote: Excellent news, thanks for the heads-up!

Quick question Jose'...  Will you be adding your code for fixing the graphs to the 4.0 update?
Reply to top
Hello all, Rob,

Not sure I understand...when there is an update, can we load it directly? Or do we have to wait that Rob fit it for his controller?
Reply to top
(11-25-2020, 12:22 PM)Dom59 Wrote: Hello all, Rob,

Not sure I understand...when there is an update, can we load it directly? Or do we have to wait that Rob fit it for his controller?

If you have a set up running controller, you should just be able to upgrade to the latest version of reef-pi.  But from what I understand, (but I'm still waiting from confirmation), if you are running JReyes "fix" software, you will overwrite that fix.

If you're comfortable with accessing the controller via SSH, you can find the instructions here -> Upgrade (reef-pi.github.io)  [url=https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/upgrade/][/url]
Reply to top

Hi Dom, you can update anytime, based on the software design it should always work with the controller.

(11-25-2020, 01:20 PM)Dewd Wrote: If you have a set up running controller, you should just be able to upgrade to the latest version of reef-pi.  But from what I understand, (but I'm still waiting from confirmation), if you are running JReyes "fix" software, you will overwrite that fix.

If you're comfortable with accessing the controller via SSH, you can find the instructions here -> Upgrade (reef-pi.github.io)  [url=https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/upgrade/][/url]

Yeah the update will overwrite JReyes version, it's one or the other.
Reply to top
(11-25-2020, 07:39 AM)Dewd Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 06:42 AM)JFReyes Wrote: Excellent news, thanks for the heads-up!

Quick question Jose'...  Will you be adding your code for fixing the graphs to the 4.0 update?
Yep, right now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the "upstream" branch.

(11-25-2020, 06:05 PM)Rob F Wrote:

Hi Dom, you can update anytime, based on the software design it should always work with the controller.

(11-25-2020, 01:20 PM)Dewd Wrote: If you have a set up running controller, you should just be able to upgrade to the latest version of reef-pi.  But from what I understand, (but I'm still waiting from confirmation), if you are running JReyes "fix" software, you will overwrite that fix.

Yeah the update will overwrite JReyes version, it's one or the other.

As @ranjib runs a tight ship, I'm doing my changes separately from (but compatible with) the official distribution. I'm in the process of setting up my development environment to meet those requirements (testing, continuous integration, etc.) so I hope that soon they'll be incorporated there. If y'all like what I'm doing, please be patient; you always have the option to run the stock software or else my contributions.

Thanks,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JFReyes's post:
  • Dewd
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two issues: Failed to init I2C & Reef-pi.service not Binding BlakeD 6 2,541 05-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Getting updated reef-pi code from JFReyes JFReyes 76 48,856 10-21-2022, 07:22 PM
  Reef-Pi or Robo-Tank 6.x Wolfw28 6 3,068 09-01-2022, 01:11 AM
  reef-pi with v2 controller gandalf 1 1,533 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM