Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting updated reef-pi code from JFReyes
User @sakiscr reported an issue with pH calibration in version 4.1-131-gf905e4d-MODIFIED which results in the calibration dialog not displaying when the button is clicked. I have confirmed the problem and believe it's related to the similar issue with dosing calibration I reported earlier. Seems that the bug introduced after the last upstream 4.1 release was more widespread than I thought and I missed that. I'm working on a fix and will release a new version soon. In the meantime I suggest that users with this need load the official v.4.1 version from Ranjib's Github here to perform calibration and then reload my modified version afterwards, as that shouldn't affect previous calibrations. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
(04-14-2021, 11:59 AM)JFReyes Wrote: User @sakiscr reported an issue with pH calibration in version 4.1-131-gf905e4d-MODIFIED which results in the calibration dialog not displaying when the button is clicked. I have confirmed the problem and believe it's related to the similar issue with dosing calibration I reported earlier. Seems that the bug introduced after the last upstream 4.1 release was more widespread than I thought and I missed that. I'm working on a fix and will release a new version soon. In the meantime I suggest that users with this need load the official v.4.1 version from Ranjib's Github here to perform calibration and then reload my modified version afterwards, as that shouldn't affect previous calibrations. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Hmm, still researching - Thank you all for your patience.

Regards,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JFReyes's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
Hi all:

Found a fix for the pH calibration issue; I will post a fix this weekend with some additional changes.

Thanks,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
Hello:

I just released version reef-pi-4.1-138-g07a9dd0-MODIFIED.deb and it's available on my Github repo here. It addresses the following:
  • Set equipment switch panel height to 100% inside container

• fixed Y axis label orientation + internationalization on doser & ATO charts

• shortened X axis & tooltip timestamps on charts + internationalization

• changed default font to Open Sans & those specified in style.scss - Bootstrap 4.5 fonts no longer override

• fixed pH calibration dialog broken in upstream master branch (temporary)

I started out making UI changes only with the intention of improving the "look" of the application, with the font change being the starting point to more extensive changes. Suggestions on this are welcome.

Then the pH calibration dialog bug was reported and I handled it by reverting to original release v.4.1 code. Unfortunately this meant that the fix reintroduces a React directive that has been deprecated; that is why I flagged it temporary. I reported all of this to upstream and hope that it will be permanently fixed soon; at that time I will revisit the code. Please let me know if you experience any problems with it.

Thanks,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
Greetings:

I'm pleased to announce my latest revision of the reef-pi software, called reef-pi-4.1-190-gf4d1fbb-MODIFIED.deb. You can get it in my Github repository here.

It includes:

* Based on the latest reef-pi master branch from upstream to insure backward compatibility
* Reorganized controls in Configuration->Settings & added UI section + internationalization
* Change Navbar & Unassigned Panel colors in Configuration->Settings using compact color picker; NOTE: for custom values use #NNN instead of #nnnnnn
* Errors notice in summary at screen bottom now changes color if errors present and opens Errors modal on click; PENDING: figuring out a way so closing the modal doesn't refresh the whole page and takes you back to the Dashboard - tricky stuff!
* Now uses Bootstrap default fonts
* Added Bootstrap icons throughout
* On-hover shading for lists
* Miscellaneous other fixes & enhacements

Now, I'm no graphic designer so I welcome suggestions for improvement. Also, there are some items still pending for makeover.

As always it comes with no warranties so YMMV. However, I would appreciate any issues to be reported to my Github issues here. You can always go back to one of my previous releases or in case of real trouble go back to the default version.

I hope y'all like it, thanks!

Cheers!
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
Very nice work Jose, thank-you! Here's the commands to type in Pi terminal for people to install, makes it a little easier I think as I needed to dig to get urls.

sudo wget https://github.com/prsws/reef-pi/release...DIFIED.deb

sudo dpkg -i reef-pi-4.1-190-gf4d1fbb-MODIFIED.deb

I haven't tried but I'm assuming you can't update to your version using reef-pi UI?

I definitely noticed the changes in UI, a couple things I think could be improved.
  • On equipment list I see beside each column is the column name, maybe move that to top of each column so it's not repeated. My first look I wasn't sure what the check box at the end was for.
  • The hover color is good but when line is expanded the hover color still changes, maybe background should be locked to hover color so it doesn't disappear, like this it's a little hard on the eyes when it flickers due to mouse location. Also every time I click a setting there a different on click color that changes the background, a little distracting.
  • I also didn't know what the custom color titles meant except "NavBar Background Color" and "Brand" made sense once I saw it was for the name. 

I know I'm difficult. :)

I love the boxes around the connectors, it was confusing for some and now grouped it makes more sense visually. 

Another nice feature would be text tooltips for different options. If you hover over a feature in say settings window a small box would appear with a brief description of what it does. I know this would take a lot, just something I always think would be nice. 

Anyways your doing a great job and thanks for sharing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • JFReyes
Reply to top
Thanks for the feedback Rob, I'll look into it.
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
Hi all:

This minor release only adds icons to the previous release. The previous release contains:

* Based on the latest reef-pi master branch from upstream to insure backward compatibility
* Reorganized controls in Configuration->Settings & added UI section + internationalization
* Change Navbar & Unassigned Panel colors in Configuration->Settings using compact color picker; NOTE: for custom values use #NNN instead of #nnnnnn
* Errors notice in summary at screen bottom now changes color if errors present and opens Errors modal on click; PENDING: figuring out a way so closing the modal doesn't refresh the whole page and takes you back to the Dashboard - tricky stuff!
* Now uses Bootstrap default fonts
* Added Bootstrap icons throughout
* On-hover shading for lists
* Miscellaneous other fixes & enhancements

You can get it at my Github repo here.

Thanks,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
The graph at the float could show its position when it was opened and closed instead of seconds
[-] The following 1 user Likes loksik.lubos's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
(05-06-2021, 01:47 PM)loksik.lubos Wrote: The graph at the float could show its position when it was opened and closed instead of seconds
Hello:

Please be more specific as there can be floats for any number of purposes. What is the scenario? One of my upcoming changes uses floats to stop dosing when the Alk/Ca/Mg canister levels run low, but it's not related to ATO.

Thanks,
José

Reply to top
I mean the classic open close swimmer which is connected to the solenoid valve. Because I would like to see if, in such an example, it would not show earlier when it was opened and closed instead of showing seconds.
Reply to top
I'm sorry but I still don't follow your meaning.

When you talk about seconds you mean the doser chart? (Could be an ATO chart but I don't have an ATO so I don't know what it looks like.) If that is so, the "seconds" axis shows the totalized time the doser was turned on during the day. That is controlled by the doser schedule that the user sets up, e.g. dose for 120 seconds at 5 minutes past every two hours; for this example the total for the day would be 120 * 24/2 = 1440 seconds. Since the user sets up this schedule there seems no need to know when the doser is turned on and off.

As for the solenoid valve, I don't use one in my tank because I don't have an ATO which is where I think it would be used. Maybe you mean a float switch. I don't yet have any in my tank either, but am planning to use them as sensors to turn off the dosers when the Ca/Alk/Mg supplements run low in their respective containers. This would require a software change so that the totalizers stay accurate and also include the stay-off-upon-boot feature.

Perhaps you could draw me a diagram so I can better visualize your request. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
José

• Rob F
Reply to top
(05-05-2021, 06:42 PM)Rob F Wrote: ...
On equipment list I see beside each column is the column name, maybe move that to top of each column so it's not repeated. My first look I wasn't sure what the check box at the end was for.
Another nice feature would be text tooltips for different options. If you hover over a feature in say settings window a small box would appear with a brief description of what it does. I know this would take a lot, just something I always think would be nice. 

Rob:

Regarding these two suggestions they're doable but require extra effort so I'll put them in a background task. The extra effort is related to the screen sizes: laptop/desktop vs. tablet vs. cellphone. Top-row column titles would be either scrolled out of sight or (if fixed on top) take up a lot of screen area on a cellphone; I also don't recall seeing tooltips on a cellphone, but have no doubt they exist somewhere.

In my case, I interact with the tank mainly through my cellphone and occasionally my iPad, rarely through my laptop or the HDMI console I hooked up to the RPi. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a survey on that. On the other hand, I do software development entirely on my laptop. So, I have the tools and just have to put in the time to make the @media queries adjust the UI to the device but it will take time.

As for the other suggestions I'm still thinking about them. Thank you for your patience.
José

Reply to top
Yeah my 2nd suggestion isn't that great and extensive, better gains can be made elsewhere I'm sure. You bring up good point that mobile doesn't really support them anyways, one day the screen will sense a hovering finger. :)

Any particular reason you don't use your HDMI console? Is it just a convenience thing?
Reply to top
(05-08-2021, 03:37 PM)Rob F Wrote: Yeah my 2nd suggestion isn't that great and extensive, better gains can be made elsewhere I'm sure. You bring up good point that mobile doesn't really support them anyways, one day the screen will sense a hovering finger. :) 

Any particular reason you don't use your HDMI console? Is it just a convenience thing?

Yes, the HDMI console is a convenience thing. You see, my internet router (from my ISP) is crappy plus I've also experienced occasional WiFi disconnects by the RPi's. Moreover, as power outages are common here, the console allows me access when power is out, as long as the UPS I installed holds. Think of it as insurance... :-)

Cheers,
José

Reply to top
Noob Linux question, but when I do an ls on my home dir nothing is there. Where else might the deb be to backup?
Reply to top
Not sure if this helps but here's a document for development, you can see the various directories it uses on the Pi.

https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-doc...velopment/
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two issues: Failed to init I2C & Reef-pi.service not Binding BlakeD 6 2,203 05-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Code changes / repo mginster 1 1,263 10-21-2022, 07:20 PM
  Reef-Pi or Robo-Tank 6.x Wolfw28 6 2,777 09-01-2022, 01:11 AM
  reef-pi with v2 controller gandalf 1 1,438 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM