Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a 2nd temp sensor
Hi:

I want to add a 2nd temp sensor for ambient temperature. Does the Robo-Tank already include the 4.7k resistor that goes between Vcc and GND or do I have to solder it to the DS18B20 terminals? Please let me know, thanks.

José
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
Hi Jose, the controller does have the 4.7k resistor, you just need to connect the sensor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob F's post:
  • Dewd
Reply to top
(11-02-2020, 12:00 PM)JFReyes Wrote: Hi:

I want to add a 2nd temp sensor for ambient temperature. Does the Robo-Tank already include the 4.7k resistor that goes between Vcc and GND or do I have to solder it to the DS18B20 terminals? Please let me know, thanks.

José

(11-02-2020, 03:08 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Jose, the controller does have the 4.7k resistor, you just need to connect the sensor.
I have the DS18B20 sensor monitoring my main tank temp.  Was looking at adding ambient temp sensor as well.  Came across this from adafruit.  It monitors humidity as well.  For $15 I'll prob pick up.  Unless any other recommendations?
Reply to top
(11-05-2020, 05:33 PM)hemiroyd Wrote: I have the DS18B20 sensor monitoring my main tank temp.  Was looking at adding ambient temp sensor as well.  Came across this from adafruit.  It monitors humidity as well.  For $15 I'll prob pick up.  Unless any other recommendations?

The DHT22 isn't supported but they have recently added the SHT31D temp/humidity sensor.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2857

This is an I2C device so you would connect it to the I2C port using short wires. If you don't need humidity you can add another DS18B20 for ambient temp.
Reply to top
(11-05-2020, 05:44 PM)Rob F Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 05:33 PM)hemiroyd Wrote: I have the DS18B20 sensor monitoring my main tank temp.  Was looking at adding ambient temp sensor as well.  Came across this from adafruit.  It monitors humidity as well.  For $15 I'll prob pick up.  Unless any other recommendations?

The DHT22 isn't supported but they have recently added the SHT31D temp/humidity sensor.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2857

This is an I2C device so you would connect it to the I2C port using short wires. If you don't need humidity you can add another DS18B20 for ambient temp.

Since I already had the other parts (cable, connectors, etc.) I just purchased a DS18B20 from Rob for a couple of bucks and wired up an ambient temp sensor, on the cheap. Turns out that the temp chart for it distorts the vertical scale because it goes beyond the 85° F limit I set up in my previous hack (I live in the tropics). However, it smartly takes into account the new high measurement. I reckon I must keep working at those temp charts, especially because I want one where the different temp sensor lines are superimposed on a single chart.
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JFReyes's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top
(11-05-2020, 06:26 PM)JFReyes Wrote: Since I already had the other parts (cable, connectors, etc.) I just purchased a DS18B20 from Rob for a couple of bucks and wired up an ambient temp sensor, on the cheap. Turns out that the temp chart for it distorts the vertical scale because it goes beyond the 85° F limit I set up in my previous hack (I live in the tropics). However, it smartly takes into account the new high measurement. I reckon I must keep working at those temp charts, especially because I want one where the different temp sensor lines are superimposed on a single chart.

That's what I use to, works good. Now you mention that about the charts I think only the lower limit is auto scaling. Try setting lower to absolute minimum and set upper limit same. Then reef-pi will scale the high limit for each chart, maybe.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple temp probes issue kurby-reef 6 2,892 02-24-2023, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  High Temp 185 Degrees =) Brooks 1 2,089 06-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Rob F