Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FYI: Making software changes to reef-pi code
Hi all:

I no longer tinker with hardware very much (well, occasionally), but am a full time software developer. I discovered the original reef-pi project on the reef2reef forum and found the Github repository. Not knowing any better I followed the development environment instructions and built the software from source instead of downloading a binary release. I intend to make changes and enhancements to my reef-tank installation and thought that perhaps other software inclined folks could use some pointers. I'm still learning the code (it's really modern and complex) so I don't claim to be an expert. This post is a summary of the development environment I set up; future posts will describe the software changes I make to my reef-tank.

Steps (Note - you'll probably have to Google a lot to figure out some of this stuff):

1) Read the development environment guide.
2) I use Windows (and Ubuntu Linux, explained shortly); Mac users can probably do this using only OSX - no need for a virtual machine, separate Linux nor SSH terminal.
3) Download and install Oracle VirtualBox.
4) Download Ubuntu Server (select Option 3 - Manual Install) as an ISO image.
5) Create a new virtual machine in VirtualBox and install the Ubuntu ISO.
6) Log into the VM and set up the software dependencies as explained in the development environment guide.
7) Then clone the reef-pi master branch from the repository.
8) Download and install VS Code to use as an IDE.
9) Connect the VS Code IDE to the VM so you can edit the files; these instructions can help.
10) After making changes follow the development environment guide to build the code and deploy it to the Raspberry Pi.
11) You'll need access to the Raspberry Pi for configuration and other tasks; you can SSH into it using PuTTY.

These are the general steps. Good luck!

José
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top
Hi Jose, thanks for posting this, looking forward to seeing the changes you make.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two issues: Failed to init I2C & Reef-pi.service not Binding BlakeD 6 2,591 05-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Getting updated reef-pi code from JFReyes JFReyes 76 49,668 10-21-2022, 07:22 PM
  Code changes / repo mginster 1 1,395 10-21-2022, 07:20 PM
  Reef-Pi or Robo-Tank 6.x Wolfw28 6 3,105 09-01-2022, 01:11 AM