Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home assistant build
Hi all,  this is my second time making my controller, the first time I fried the board and Rob was kind enough to send me another one.  I am documenting my build with home assistant (HA) as a reference for others.  I am having issues posting pictures so i have attached it here.

Background:
I have home assistant running in a VM in my synology for about 6 months, and have a lot of things integrated like thermostats, powerbars, garage door openers etc.  It is also controlling the timers for my fish tank via tasmota flashed powerbars in which I have 3.  I am not exactly happy with my setup as I dont want to overdose kalk for example and nuke my tank.

Currently I have a ATO controller and a temperature controller running, I want the reefpi to replace it.  Other equipment like pump, skimmer, dosing pump etc are controlled by HA.  Unfortunately the dosing pump i have is a BRS AC dosing pump so cannot use the DC port functions, I may change it at a later date.

Tank: SW tank 120g + sump with a skimmer, AI lights, 3 powerbars controlled by HA, dosing pump, skimmer, ATO, ecotech powerhead + battery backup etc.

So far I only have the temperature probes and pH probes in the tank monitoring.  I did the temperature calibration (using my inkbird) and the temperature seems to match.  The pH probe is also functional but I am not sure if i trust the reading.  First I calibrated it using the provided calibration fluid @ 6.86 + 9.18, however when I put it in the calibration fluid it would show a different result.  Not sure if it is a setting, but i ended up calibrating it to my pH pen.  I will slowly move my heaters over to the reef pi once I get more comfortable.
With many hours on R2R, I have the float sensors, pi status etc communicating with the HA via MQTT, and HA can control the reefpi via API.  Currently the reefpi is on wifi but I will eventually put it on ethernet.  I am more familiar with HA and I think I can create a more robust system using HA.  So I am planning to put all the logic on HA and using the reefpi simply as input/ output interface.

Currently with my kalk automation, it turns on and off via a timer and has been pretty reliable.  In the case where I restart my HA during the time the timer turns off.  I also have a alarm in parallel to monitor how long the switch turns on, if the switch is on more than the intended time HA will notify me.  

I hit many bumps trying to get reefpi to communicate to HA, get the reef pi cookie, getting the equipment pinouts etc.  If there are interests I can share my code in the post.  

The left most column is my AI lights, showing the channel schedule.  Bottom left is my tasmota powerbar.
The middle column shows the temperature of the reefpi as well as sensor status.
The right column shows the pH as well as controls of the AC & DC ports (DC are not mapped yet.)

Enjoy.

Im retarded and dont know how to post pictures - added attachments.

Attached Files Image(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes derek.xenia@gmail.com's post:
  • Rob F
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
Home assistant build - by derek.xenia@gmail.com - 05-22-2021, 07:54 PM
RE: Home assistant build - by Rob F - 05-22-2021, 09:15 PM
RE: Home assistant build - by Rob F - 05-22-2021, 09:45 PM
RE: Home assistant build - by Rob F - 05-22-2021, 09:48 PM
RE: Home assistant build - by Rob F - 05-25-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: Home assistant build - by Rob F - 06-27-2021, 05:01 PM
RE: Home assistant build - by Rob F - 06-27-2021, 08:45 PM