Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
proposal for the future
(01-30-2021, 05:06 PM)Rob F Wrote: Thanks for your suggestions, they are all great and some I think about but not so easy. The software additions are out of my hands but you can do a lot using the file driver. If you can get your Pi generating a flow value or co2 as an example you can save the value to a text file and import to reef-pi using the file driver. These come in under the pH tab so you have those features to work with. If you create a text file on your Pi, add 12.1 to it you can test out the file driver. The connector for the driver is analog type, you'll see one pin appear.

I would like to add cooling but I don't want the case any larger or frankly have to worry about fans, good fans aren't cheap. The easiest is bolting a fan to the side of the case, a 20-30mm fits good and can be connected to a DC port for control or a PWM if PWM capable. You could solder the wires inside the case if you don't want to see them. You could do the same with a temp sensor, place one inside the case and then you can run the fan based on temp.

Those heatsinks are nice but won't fit because the header pins are too short. You'll notice on the controller board the USB/RJ45 ports are after the board ends otherwise it wouldn't plug in. There's isn't much room under the Pi unfortunately. The fan mounted on the side of case will blow across the Pi and come out the other side.

I've played with those SD adapters in the past and not going back there, they aren't very good and can be hard to mount. That's best for DIY.

What display are you looking at? Tx/Rx is GPIO 14/15 which are used for power bar 1 outlet 5/4. I assume if you remove connectors for them you could use as serial connection as there are no resistors or any circuit on the controller for these pins. All the GPIO's to DB9's are connected directly to Pi so they can be multi purpose.

What are you referring to? "reduction for the camera to the side cover"

Hmm, these are interesting ideas. Some are better left alone (e.g. use raspi-config to set the WiFi network, it doesn't really belong in reef-pi), but creating a lightning storm could be requested to @Ranjib. I actually have that feature embedded in my Current USA Loop lights and it's really cool, but cannot control it through reef-pi (yet). I would even enhance it to connect to a weather station and mimic the outside environment. My software changes are limited by the hardware I own so it's difficult to work on stuff that other folks may find useful. However, I have started researching Bluetooth hacking for the lights and the Mobius controllers of my Vortechs, and also WiFi hacking of my TECO chiller but am unsure if I'll be able to legally publish that work. We'll see...

As for cooling, I'm reminded of my first PlayStation 3 (the fat one). I purchased an external fan assembly that attached to the back of the unit and it worked fine. Perhaps Rob can come up with another optional upgrade; remember that I live in the Tropics so I'd be interested... ;-)

Not sure about the purpose for another SD card...

For the display I purchased a 10 inch touchscreen from Amazon that connects via HDMI & USB to the standard RPi connectors and works great because I occasionally experience WiFi disconnects and having a hardwired console with Gnome desktop saves the day.

Finally, I reckon the "reduction" for the camera is just a slot through which one can pass the RPi camera cable. Perhaps it can be added as a "cut-out" to the case somewhere, but Rob would determine if it's feasible.

Just my opinion, I hope it's useful.

Thanks,
José

Please post questions in the forum (not via PM) so that everyone can benefit from and contribute to finding solutions. Thank you.
Reply to top

Messages In This Thread
proposal for the future - by loksik.lubos - 01-30-2021, 12:04 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by Rob F - 01-30-2021, 05:06 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by JFReyes - 02-02-2021, 04:58 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by Rob F - 02-02-2021, 09:23 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by JFReyes - 02-03-2021, 09:42 AM
RE: proposal for the future - by Rob F - 02-03-2021, 08:48 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by loksik.lubos - 02-28-2021, 04:02 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by JFReyes - 02-28-2021, 04:16 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by loksik.lubos - 03-06-2021, 03:23 PM
RE: proposal for the future - by JFReyes - 03-06-2021, 04:23 PM