Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robo-Tank v5.0 is Ready
Hmm, strange, I really do have PH running on mine, it's been about 14 hours and still flashing. Try the following to see what happens.

First startup the controller with the circuits plugged in and open the Arduino ID serial monitor on the controller. Once you start seeing lines of code scroll that say PH, ORP, DO and EC all with 0.0 then plug in your circuits and see what happens. If your lights are blue on the circuits they are in I2C mode and should flash every couple seconds. If it locks up can you try only your PH circuit?
Reply to top
Ich hatte Ph, EC, ORP, zusammen, nur PH probiere ich Morgen , vielen Dank das du so schnell für uns da bist
Reply to top
Yeah I hope it's not to hard to split them up, I don't know why this is being so difficult especially now that mine is working. I've reset and power cycled many times and it always works. Before splitting the circuits try plugging them in after you have the controller running and serial monitor open to see if it freezes the controller. I don't think the display can freeze, only the controller as the display doesn't see the circuits, only gets numbers and those numbers are being sent to the display with or without the circuits connected at this point.
Reply to top
Hi Rob,

I also have a problem with the 5.01 update.
When I install the program in the Arduino, I get the following message in the serial monitor:

Inind index.html file.
Starting Controller -------------------This should read 50: 255
Initializing sd card...
SUCCESS - sd card initialized.
SUCCESS - Found index.html file.
Starting Controller -------------------This should read 50: 255

If I install the program "Pre_Update", I get the message "star" but not the "Finished".
I feel like something is preventing writing on the eeprom

Do you have any idea what the problem is ?

Thank you.
Reply to top
Hey seb540, yeah something is preventing the I2C from working so the eeprom reacts very slowly and won't give a correct reading. Do you happen to have any Atlas circuits connected or anything else on the I2C pins? If so try disconnecting it and see what you get. Once you get 255 you have to completely power down the controller which means also unplugging from computer, then turn back on and check serial again. A simple reset or close/open the serial monitor won't do it. I've had that happen after programming but always doing the power down fixes it.
Reply to top
I completely pulled out the arduino card, so nothing is plugged into it anymore.
I reloaded the program to program the eeprom, I unplugged the card from the usb port, I restarted the serial monitor, but nothing but "start" is displayed.
Reply to top
So ich habe seid heute Morgen 8 uhr nur den PH sonde angeschlossen , bis 18 uhr war alles ok , als ich 19 uhr zu hause war war das datum wieder 3.2009 und Die Uhrzeit wieder 23 uhr . Ich konnte im seriellen Monitor keine sonden sehen
Reply to top
Ich habe jetzt mal die i2c adresse der uhr von 87 auf 83 geändert , nur zum test ,
Reply to top
I’ve successfully update to v5.01 from V4.2. But had some user errors in the process. I’m not all that familiar with Arduino software, so I thought I’d post some lessons learned that maybe can help other new users. I’m sure expert Arduino users know this stuff or have better solutions.

On the bottom of the Arduino IDE is a “message window”. It is black with White or Red text. Red text can be Errors, warnings. You need to fix the errors. Don’t ignore the message window as I initially did.

Serial Port Window unreadable: I only had open when I wanted to copy the backup sketch
- Check the baud rate in the lower right corner is set to 115200

V5 shown on display with 1 red dot, but never loads
- My controller’s EEPROM did not get setup. I probably got an error in the message window, but didn’t see it. On the controller load the PreUpdate sketch again, and load the controller sketch again

Cannot have src and utility files in SDFat:
o Go to SDFatC:\Users\[username]\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFst, remove “Utility” directory

#Include Files missing
- I deleted my libraries and pasted new as suggested. After the above error. If you didn’t save backup libraries, uninstall Arduino, and reinstall version from robotank site, and run thru the first time set up again. This will get everything back in order. Then copy the Install Libraries per “Update to v5.01.rtf” instructions.

Communication Port Not available
- I got this when switching between display and controller. My suggestion
1. Close Ardunio IDE
2. switch USB to the other device
3. double click the sketch let it open the Ardunio IDE
4. Check Port Tools-->Port-->Com#(Arduino Due(Programming Port))

Display is backwards or not booting
- likely forgot to change monitor in the Dislpay sketch. Scroll down about 30 lines in the display sketch and edit this
o // Uncomment the display you have, be sure the others are commented out using // at the beginning
o UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_70, 25, 26, 27, 28); // used for ElecFreaks and Sainsmart 7" Display
o //UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_50, 25, 26, 27, 28); // used for ElecFreaks and Sainsmart 5" Display
o //UTFT myGLCD (CPLD, 25, 26, 27, 28); //For 5" and 7“ CPLD Displays

Missing files or damaged Libraries
1- You can Uninstall Arduino and reload from Robo’s download site
2- Follow “FIRST TIME PROGRAMMING GUIDE.pdf”
3- Then Follow “Update to v5.01.rtf”

-
Reply to top
Hi Rob
Finally got it to load and start but having loads of problems.

The heaters will not turn off according to the set temps, I have set them to turn off at 26c but they just stay on no matter what the temp is (sitting at 26.6 at the moment), I have tried setting up a custom rule to turn them off if the temp is over 26 but that does not work either. I have checked it is looking at the right port (9) and it is reading right on the home page.

The ATO is not working, it keeps dumping water into the sump even though it is over full.

Flow meter display is wrong, I have set it to the right pulses (4.5) but it only reads 50lph when it should be more like 950plh.

Home page will not display properly either, issues with feeding not showing etc.
Reply to top
Sorry for the late reply, I was away again. I'll also be gone all day tomorrow but will return. :)

(02-13-2019, 06:34 AM)seb540 Wrote: I completely pulled out the arduino card, so nothing is plugged into it anymore.
I reloaded the program to program the eeprom, I unplugged the card from the usb port, I restarted the serial monitor, but nothing but "start" is displayed.

Ah that's why, the Arduino has to be mounted to the respected PCB, the eeprom isn't part of the Arduino that's why it can't find it.

(02-13-2019, 03:06 PM)Mike F Wrote: I’ve successfully update to v5.01 from V4.2.  But had some user errors in the process.  I’m not all that familiar with Arduino software, so I thought I’d post some lessons learned that maybe can help other new users.  I’m sure expert Arduino users know this stuff or have better solutions.

On the bottom of the Arduino IDE is a “message window”.  It is black with White or Red text.  Red text can be Errors, warnings.  You need to fix the errors.  Don’t ignore the message window as I initially did.

Serial Port Window unreadable: I only had open when I wanted to copy the backup sketch
- Check the baud rate in the lower right corner is set to 115200

V5 shown on display with 1 red dot, but never loads
- My controller’s EEPROM did not get setup.  I probably got an error in the message window, but didn’t see it.  On the controller load the PreUpdate sketch again, and load the controller sketch again

Cannot have src and utility files in SDFat:  
o Go to SDFatC:\Users\[username]\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SdFst, remove “Utility” directory

#Include Files missing
- I deleted my libraries and pasted new as suggested.  After the above error.  If you didn’t save backup libraries, uninstall Arduino, and reinstall version from robotank site, and run thru the first time set up again.  This will get everything back in order.  Then copy the Install Libraries per “Update to v5.01.rtf” instructions.

Communication Port Not available
- I got this when switching between display and controller.  My suggestion
1. Close Ardunio IDE
2. switch USB to the other device
3. double click the sketch let it open the Ardunio IDE
4. Check Port Tools-->Port-->Com#(Arduino Due(Programming Port))

Display is backwards or not booting
- likely forgot to change monitor in the Dislpay sketch.  Scroll down about 30 lines in the display sketch and edit this
o // Uncomment the display you have, be sure the others are commented out using // at the beginning
o UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_70, 25, 26, 27, 28);  // used for ElecFreaks and Sainsmart 7" Display
o //UTFT myGLCD(TFT01_50, 25, 26, 27, 28);  // used for ElecFreaks and Sainsmart 5" Display
o //UTFT myGLCD (CPLD, 25, 26, 27, 28); //For 5" and 7“ CPLD Displays

Missing files or damaged Libraries
1- You can Uninstall Arduino and reload from Robo’s download site
2- Follow “FIRST TIME PROGRAMMING GUIDE.pdf”
3- Then Follow “Update to v5.01.rtf”

Glad to hear you managed to get updated, sometimes programming Arduinos can get confusing. Thanks for posting Mike, I'm sure it will help others.

(02-13-2019, 03:58 PM)Rob Wheatley Wrote: Hi Rob
Finally got it to load and start but having loads of problems.

The heaters will not turn off according to the set temps, I have set them to turn off at 26c but they just stay on no matter what the temp is (sitting at 26.6 at the moment), I have tried setting up a custom rule to turn them off if the temp is over 26 but that does not work either. I have checked it is looking at the right port (9) and it is reading right on the home page.

The ATO is not working, it keeps dumping water into the sump even though it is over full.

Flow meter display is wrong, I have set it to the right pulses (4.5) but it only reads 50lph when it should be more like 950plh.

Home page will not display properly either, issues with feeding not showing etc.

Sounds like something isn't setup correctly, all those issues aren't in the software. Any chance you have an Atlas circuit connected? Can you go to settings, system and press the restore defaults button and let it do it's thing for about 5 minutes. The controller will restart when its finished and hopefully things are restored.

(02-13-2019, 12:13 PM)Addi Wrote: So ich habe seid heute Morgen 8 uhr nur den PH sonde angeschlossen , bis 18 uhr war alles ok , als ich 19 uhr zu hause  war war das datum wieder 3.2009 und Die Uhrzeit wieder 23 uhr . Ich konnte im seriellen Monitor keine sonden sehen

I got an email from someone today who might have the answer. He experienced the same issue back in the day and discovered using his oscilloscope just powering up the Atlas circuits caused some interference so he tried a few things and found that powering the Atlas circuits from an external linear voltage regulator the interference was gone and issue was solved. The voltage regulator must be linear as other types didn't solve the problem. The word linear will be used to describe the voltage regulator, if it doesn't say linear it might not be.

Anyone having this problem should try this, I think there's a good chance it works.

You would connect +12v to the linear regulator and then use the output of 3.3v to power up the circuit.

Here's one as an example, you can get them from any electronic shop as they are popular.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2165
Reply to top
Ja ok , ist nachvollziehbar aber bei version 4.2 ging das doch mit den sonden
Reply to top
Thanks Rob, I updated to 5.01 with the cards connected to the arduino and this time it worked.
Reply to top
Reset controller, heaters now work but only if set in deg F, if I change display to deg C they turn on and stay on.
ATO is still not working properly, says float is open instead of closed.

Oh and the on screen keyboard had stopped displaying, it works but cant see what I am pressing lol
Reply to top
Quote:Reset controller, heaters now work but only if set in deg F, if I change display to deg C they turn on and stay on.
ATO is still not working properly, says float is open instead of closed.
Did you change the values as well? Or let it sit at 70-ish?
Reply to top
I converted the temps I wanted for on and off to deg F and set it to them, worked fine, set the controller to deg C and it will not turn them off, change it back and it works again!
Reply to top
Let me put it this way, I didn’t update yet so no experience with v5.x
But with V4.2 when you switch from F to C the values aren’t changed by them self.
So if the controller is set to switch on @70F and of @77F and you change it to C the controller will switch on below 70C and switch off @77C

So you need to change those values as well
Reply to top
(02-14-2019, 10:51 AM)Addi Wrote: Ja ok , ist nachvollziehbar aber bei version 4.2 ging das doch mit den sonden

I knew you were going to say that. :)  Unfortunately I don't have a good answer but I know quite a few people have had trouble getting their circuits to work overtime as it seems to lock up the I2C bus. The fact you tried just the PH and it worked for a while, then the clock went bad, that points at an I2C issue as the clock is on the bus as well, when the time goes bad it's because the I2C bus broke. I2C pins can't handle a lot and when its on the edge it can cut out like you experienced. I know it doesn't make much sense but it's possible it was just on the edge of working before. 

(02-14-2019, 12:17 PM)seb540 Wrote: Thanks Rob, I updated to 5.01 with the cards connected to the arduino and this time it worked.

Glad to hear. 

(02-14-2019, 11:33 PM)fietsenrex Wrote: Let me put it this way, I didn’t update yet so no experience with v5.x
But with V4.2 when you switch from F to C the values aren’t changed by them self.
So if the controller is set to switch on @70F and of @77F and you change it to C the controller will switch on below 70C and switch off @77C

So you need to change those values as well

Thanks for trying fietsenrex, doing that this time won't help. The temps are auto converted on the display but when I added control on the controller I didn't think twice about C so this time it only works with F.

(02-14-2019, 12:33 PM)Rob Wheatley Wrote: Reset controller,  heaters now work but only if set in deg F, if I change display to deg C they turn on and stay on.
ATO is still not working properly,  says float is open instead of closed.

Oh and the on screen keyboard had stopped displaying, it works but cant see what I am pressing lol

Sorry Rob, as you see above I screwed up with heaters and forgot about C, I'll get that added soon. 

For the ATO it sounds like the float just needs reversed, if you take the tab off the bottom you can pull the float off and turn it around so it works opposite. 

Sounds like you installed v5.00 not v5.01 or you missed copying the images from the v5.01 download package. There was about 8 images I forgot and all the ones for the weather and yes one of those images is that keyboard. :)
Reply to top
So ich habe den 3,3v regler verbaut , jetzt bin ich gespannt
Reply to top
Hi Rob
Did put v5.01 on but forgot to do the sd files......
Done now and keyboard is fine.
ATO now appears to be working, the float readout does keep saying open randomly when it is definitely closed (fully submerged)
Going to change to optical sensors soon (can I use optical on ports 1 to 5 as well) and make a combined 24v 240v power bar using one 25 way connecting control cable instead of 2 VGA ones.
Any idea how long the deg C update will take, deg F is confusing lol
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robo-Tank v5.20 is Ready Rob F 51 30,428 05-31-2020, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Rob F
  Robo-Tank v5.13 is Ready Rob F 61 35,336 06-19-2019, 12:30 AM
  Robo-Tank v5.12 is Ready Rob F 34 22,141 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: fietsenrex
  Robo-Tank v5.10 is Ready Rob F 157 82,091 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM