Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical water level sensor wiring
Hi guys
I bought optical water level sensor that is 4 wires and have pin outs as in photo attached, has anyone used this type of sensor on main ATO sensor.
I connected it as per example but seems like current on 5V line is not enough to drive the sensor and voltage on 5V drops to 3.8V, connected same setup to external 5V and sensor works fine as it touches the water,

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply to top
Hi Notorious.jatt, that's the sensor I was originally using for the main ATO sensor but they were unreliable so I've stopped using them. Be careful not to get water where the cable goes in the sensor and clean it often, it can get a scum on it quickly and start causing false readings. With all that said you should be able to connect it directly to the main ATO port as your board will have those needed resistors on it. This image has the wire colors marked on it so do like it.

Reply to top
Ok thanks. So what sensor do u use now, i might get same since u would have tested its reliability
Reply to top
I was so happy to find that sensor but it was a real disappointment. I haven't had time to get other sensors to try, currently I'm just selling the kit with 2 float switches, one for main and backup as I haven't had an issue with those yet but I do want something better. Some people use or looking to use IR sensor but currently those have to be Analog to work and a lot are digital or I2C. Any analog sensor will work but might need a resistor. Here's another style that should work ok but I haven't personally tried it.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/464
Reply to top
(04-03-2018, 09:15 PM)Rob F Wrote: Hi Notorious.jatt, that's the sensor I was originally using for the main ATO sensor but they were unreliable so I've stopped using them. Be careful not to get water where the cable goes in the sensor and clean it often, it can get a scum on it quickly and start causing false readings. With all that said you should be able to connect it directly to the main ATO port as your board will have those needed resistors on it. This image has the wire colors marked on it so do like it.

i Rob 
is port 16 same as PLUG 3, in manual it says plug 3 is ATO float switch or sensor,
Reply to top
Hi Notorious.jatt, yeah port 16 is the same as plug 3 - port 3, I'm guessing your board says port 16 on it. I just changed the labeling so it make more sense but yeah confusing if you have older boards, sorry! You have to set the "Check Water Level" to 0 on the service page on display, very soon I'll have a fix so it doesn't have to be instant.
Reply to top

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power bar wiring question lumpylipton 3 4,833 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Rob F